• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canada Will Put Another Woman On Its Currency

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
By Erin Blakemore/ Smart News: Keeping You Current/ SmithsonianMag.com

"Canada’s cash has long had a love affair with a woman. The country is one of 48 that feature women on their currency—and dozens that prominently display the visage of Queen Elizabeth II on everything from coins to bills. Now, an early civil rights heroine will make history as the first Canadian woman to be featured on a regularly circulating piece of Canadian currency. As Reuters reports, Canada will give Viola Desmond a prominent place on its new $10 bill.

Desmond was chosen from thousands of submissions to replace the face of John A. Macdonald, the first prime minister of Canada, on ten-dollar notes when he moves on to other, higher-denomination currency..."

screen_shot_2016-12-08_at_14958_pm.png__800x600_q85_crop.jpg

Canada will have plenty of time to get used to Viola Desmond—she'll soon be on the country's $10 bills. (Cape Breton University/Bank of Canada)

Richard

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think dollar coins and bills should be saved for prime ministers or the British figure head at the time.

By Erin Blakemore/ Smart News: Keeping You Current/ SmithsonianMag.com

"Canada’s cash has long had a love affair with a woman. The country is one of 48 that feature women on their currency—and dozens that prominently display the visage of Queen Elizabeth II on everything from coins to bills. Now, an early civil rights heroine will make history as the first Canadian woman to be featured on a regularly circulating piece of Canadian currency. As Reuters reports, Canada will give Viola Desmond a prominent place on its new $10 bill.

Desmond was chosen from thousands of submissions to replace the face of John A. Macdonald, the first prime minister of Canada, on ten-dollar notes when he moves on to other, higher-denomination currency..."

screen_shot_2016-12-08_at_14958_pm.png__800x600_q85_crop.jpg

Canada will have plenty of time to get used to Viola Desmond—she'll soon be on the country's $10 bills. (Cape Breton University/Bank of Canada)

Richard

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Disagree. I'm a Canadian and a monarchist, and do think one side should be for the monarch. But having a great Canadian on the other side is appropriate, and that category isn't exclusive to Prime Ministers. (I can think of a dozen Canadians with bigger accomplishments than any of our PMs...)

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Disagree. I'm a Canadian and a monarchist, and do think one side should be for the monarch. But having a great Canadian on the other side is appropriate, and that category isn't exclusive to Prime Ministers. (I can think of a dozen Canadians with bigger accomplishments than any of our PMs...)

Where does Viola Desmond end up on your list of great Canadians? I prefer the picture of playing shiny or the flanders field poem over any one person as well.

I do not think this change to the $10 bill is being done for the right reasons.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Where does Viola Desmond end up on your list of great Canadians? I prefer the picture of playing shiny or the flanders field poem over any one person as well.

I agree with all of that. It is a blatantly political. I really like the great Canadian scenes, my personal favourite is the Canadarm one on the $5.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

I agree with all of that. It is a blatantly political. I really like the great Canadian scenes, my personal favourite is the Canadarm one on the $5.

One side of a bill is always reserved for a person and the other side contains something else. Same with coins. You can't have a person on each side, otherwise how would you know what is heads and what is tails.

What bill is John A McDonald moving to? Thus who is he replacing?

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
One side of a bill is always reserved for a person and the other side contains something else. Same with coins. You can't have a person on each side, otherwise how would you know what is heads and what is tails.

What bill is John A McDonald moving to? Thus who is he replacing?

Sir John A. will be bumped up to a higher bank note...another PM will have to fall away. Speculation suggests it will likely be Sir Robert Borden who gets bumped. But not likely until 2018 when Viola Desmond appears. I much prefer iconic scenes rather than past PM's or historic figures....the selection process is too political and politically correct.