• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Big Island Marriott

vengle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Planning a trip to Hawaii in the summer with my family...there will be 5 of us. Was curious I am able to book at the Marriott Waikola Ocean Club for a 1 bedroom. Anyone know the size? I am sure it is only supposed to be for 4 people but I could book a hotel room too to have the best of both worlds there ...is there a need for that? Will we be really squeezed into the timeshare? I know it is new and not even opened but wondered if anyone had toured yet?

Thanks!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
It's part of the hotel so if you booked a hotel room for overflow, I don't think that gives you access to any additional amenities. You will be one of our first visitors and will be curious to hear how cozy it is for 5 (or 4, for that matter). I did stay in the hotel once a few years ago and it is well located but the pool is a pretty straight forward hotel pool. The Big Island rocks though and it is a great addition to the collection. Have fun!

Best,

Greg

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Planning a trip to Hawaii in the summer with my family...there will be 5 of us. Was curious I am able to book at the Marriott Waikola Ocean Club for a 1 bedroom. Anyone know the size? I am sure it is only supposed to be for 4 people but I could book a hotel room too to have the best of both worlds there ...is there a need for that? Will we be really squeezed into the timeshare? I know it is new and not even opened but wondered if anyone had toured yet?

Thanks!
If you go to the marriottvacationclub website, under Marriott Vacation Club Resorts, and select Waikoloa Beach Club, View Resort, Floor Plans, you can see a schematic ("subject to change"). It appears to me the one bedroom units will be converted from two hotel rooms. I believe the total square footage will be perhaps 800 square feet. I don't know the ages of everyone in your group, or if a rollaway is permitted or feasible for you. Only you can decide if you want a separate hotel room vs. getting a two bedroom unit which would keep the group closer. Btw, we are going there next Thanksgiving, six people in a two bedroom, but two of them are children. That works for us. Enjoy!

vengle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would love two get a two bedroom but that did not become available ... my family is me, niece 21, nephew 27, Mom 80 and my son 9. So we are all over the place...maybe I will look at the feasibility of two one bedrooms instead of hotel if it is better with points....a two bedroom would be ideal.

BigMac

Reaction score
If you have the points, I would make a reservation for 2 - 1 bedroom suites through MVCI and then ask to go on a wait list for a 2 bedroom. 2 -1 bedrooms will use about 3300 points each per week( roughly $1800 value). If you just reserve a room at the hotel it will cost about $2300 per week, which includes a $30/day resort fee.

Last edited:

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have the points, I would make a reservation for 2 - 1 bedroom suites through MVCI and then ask to go on a wait list for a 2 bedroom. 2 -1 bedrooms will use about 3300 points each per week( roughly $1800 value). If you just reserve a room at the hotel it will cost about $2300 per week, which includes a $30/day resort fee.
Agreed. In case you are short on points, you can rent them. You will also need enough additional points to cover the wait list. Keep in mind that transferred points cannot be banked or transferred further. So, you'll want to make plans as to how to use those points elsewhere next year if Waikoloa doesn't come through. Cheers.