• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Chase Saphire for MF $300 credit

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Took care of it today. Thanks again for the info

DCBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got the Chase Sapphire Reserve card about a month ago and love the benefits. But I'm still confused on one point regarding using it to the max verses the Marriott card since I have gold status. Am I better in the long run using the Marriott card for Marriott hotel stays and accruing Marriott points or should I now use the CSR card and accrue UR points instead?

Thanks,
Doug B

BigMac

Reaction score
Just want to point out that you need to be a little careful on the timing of the initial $300 charge in order to get the credit this year. You likely can't wait until the very end of December (depending on your statement cut off date) to make your initial $300 travel charge. The fine print reads like this....

I read that to mean if as an example, your statement end date is on the 12th of every month, your "first December statement date" would be the December 12th statement....so anything charged after that would fall into the $300 credit applicable to the next year. Unless I am misreading that language.

Glad you caught this. I was incorrectly thinking any charges made by December 31st could be credited. So I just got the card and it had a payment due date of December 7th which would mean a cutoff date of about November 10th. This wasn't going to give me enough time to have $300 of travel charges. I just called the card rep and asked that the due date be extended to December 24th. They said no problem and confirmed back to me that the new cutoff date would be November 27th. They also confirmed that any 'travel" charges made by that date would get this years credit.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Glad you caught this. I was incorrectly thinking any charges made by December 31st could be credited. So I just got the card and it had a payment due date of December 7th which would mean a cutoff date of about November 10th. This wasn't going to give me enough time to have $300 of travel charges. I just called the card rep and asked that the due date be extended to December 24th. They said no problem and confirmed back to me that the new cutoff date would be November 27th. They also confirmed that any 'travel" charges made by that date would get this years credit.

Well played!!!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The $300 credit posts almost the same day as the charge posts

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Me too. I charged $300 to my Marriott MF and the $300 credit got posted the same day. No statement yet nor due date. Just regular posting / log of charges and credit.

BigMac

Reaction score
I got the Chase Sapphire Reserve card about a month ago and love the benefits. But I'm still confused on one point regarding using it to the max verses the Marriott card since I have gold status. Am I better in the long run using the Marriott card for Marriott hotel stays and accruing Marriott points or should I now use the CSR card and accrue UR points instead?

Thanks,
Doug B

I also have Marriott gold status and also just got the CSR card and the Marriott Rewards card. For me, as long as MR points are going toward some meaningful award level within Marriott that you would use, then for me 5 MR points are more useful than 3 CSR points.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks,
Doug B

I guess it would depend on what you are trying to maximize. If you are looking to build your Marriott account, the stick with your Marriott card at 5X. If you are looking to build say for flights somewhere that you don't have a card for that airline, then use the UR cards for 3X.

I'm flip flopping between Marriott, UR and Southwest. My goal is to build up the MR account for a travel package. I'm using the Marriott card for most day to day purchases, but swapping over to UR for non Marriott travel and dining.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Wouldn't you have been better to keep the Dec 7 due date? That would have meant your first statement run in December should have been about the 12th or 13th. Now you only have until 11/27 to make your $300 spend where before you would have had until 12/12. The date is based on your statement date, not your due date. It was "through the first December statement date of that same year". Which means travel charges posted to the December statement are included in that year's travel credit.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Wouldn't you have been better to keep the Dec 7 due date? That would have meant your first statement run in December should have been about the 12th or 13th. Now you only have until 11/27 to make your $300 spend where before you would have had until 12/12. The date is based on your statement date, not your due date. It was "through the first December statement date of that same year". Which means travel charges posted to the December statement are included in that year's travel credit.

I think he would get another statement in December with a cutoff of Dec 27th wouldn't he? Based on that assumption, I think he did buy himself more time.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think he would get another statement in December with a cutoff of Dec 27th wouldn't he? Based on that assumption, I think he did buy himself more time.

I don't think so. WIth DWs Chase card, her payment is due on the 27th and the statement runs on the 3rd. If that holds true for their other cards, a Dec 27 payment would result in a Jan 3rd next statement run.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
I don't think so. WIth DWs Chase card, her payment is due on the 27th and the statement runs on the 3rd. If that holds true for their other cards, a Dec 27 payment would result in a Jan 3rd next statement run.

He said the due date was extended to 12/24. So based on that, and what you are saying above, seems like he would get a December statement with a end date in the last few days of December, No?? I believe he confirmed a 11/27 statement end date, so why not another one with end date of 12/27?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
He said the due date was extended to 12/24. So based on that, and what you are saying above, seems like he would get a December statement with a end date in the last few days of December, No?? I believe he confirmed a 11/27 statement end date, so why not another one with end date of 12/27?

Why would one not just charge $300 right now? The $300 credit is given within a day.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Why would one not just charge $300 right now? The $300 credit is given within a day.

That works if you have some travel expenses to charge today...but if you plan to use it on hotel or airfare that you are not booking until mid December for whatever reason, your approach no longer works.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That works if you have some travel expenses to charge today...but if you plan to use it on hotel or airfare that you are not booking until mid December for whatever reason, your approach no longer works.

Got you. I was thinking most MFs are currently billed....

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I was thinking the same. Almost everyone here has at least $600 in MF especially when you add in II or RCI fees. Many of the resorts have MF's due January 1 or later. For the most part you can prepay $300 now and the remaining wait until closer to due date which would be after the cut off date for 2017 credit.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
I was thinking the same. Almost everyone here has at least $600 in MF especially when you add in II or RCI fees. Many of the resorts have MF's due January 1 or later. For the most part you can prepay $300 now and the remaining wait until closer to due date which would be after the cut off date for 2017 credit.

Using me as an example....I could have done that, but I prefer to use my Marriott Credit Card to get the MR points multiple for Marriott related charges (which MF's are). I was waiting until I had some work related airfare to book, which fortunately fell into my lap just today, so I get in essence a "free" $300 back from Chase, for something I didn't even pay for personally (reimbursed from work)...and I still get to use my Marriott Chase card for my MF's. We all approach this stuff a little differently....always trying to maximize the value which can be different for each of us.

BigMac

Reaction score
same with me I want to use my MR card for my MF's to get 5 points/$. I think I now have to December 27th to use the SR card for $300 of other travel.

Last edited:

steve b

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why not use your Starwood Amex card for Marriott maintenance fees and get 2 point per dollar and then transfer to marriott to get a total of 6 points per dollare of maintenance fee payments?

timtax

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very interesting that I received the travel credit for my EZPass replenishment charge on my monthly bill. No real travel costs required to get the credit on the annual fee. Very happy.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When is the annual fee billed? The $450 charge showed up immediately on mine. My husband's CC account is still not showing up after 3 weeks. We applied at the same time.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Very interesting that I received the travel credit for my EZPass replenishment charge on my monthly bill. No real travel costs required to get the credit on the annual fee. Very happy.

Q. What types of merchants are in the 'travel' category?
  • A. Merchants in the travel category include airlines, hotels, motels, timeshares, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, campgrounds and operators of passenger trains, buses, taxis, limousines, ferries, toll bridges and highways, and parking lots and garages.

I caught this the other day when looking up something on UR FAQs. I wouldn't have thought about day to day personal "travel" expenses like parking lots, tolls, taxis, etc.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Cut profits is not the same as losing money...
The same article indicates they expect it to take five and a half years for them to break even on the Sapphire Reserve product. So, in the early years of the product, that product will lose money.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The same article indicates they expect it to take five and a half years for them to break even on the Sapphire Reserve product. So, in the early years of the product, that product will lose money.

Chase credit card is losing money with the launch... but Chase/JP Morgan is still extremely profitable...