• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Will Legal Action Help Me Get Rid of my TS?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Q:
What enticed you to go on the timeshare tour in the first place? What did you and your wife like about the idea of owning a timeshare in Orlando? Did you accept the first offer or did you wait for the salesperson to negotiate a second or third offer? Did you get a brand new unit in a new building or something that was previously owned. Is it deeded every year usage of every other year? What size unit? How much are the annual maint. fees? Why did you regret your purchase after you first returned home?

Miss Marty - The OP doesn't want to keep their timeshare, and making the payments is a financial hardship for them. They have already started the process to deed it back or let it go into foreclosure. Please see the other posts in this thread for all the details.

Last edited:

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
prosam

Post Deleted
You got email

Last edited:

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I read all the posts in this thread!

I was asking prosam for more information
regarding his timeshare tour and purchase.

When you swipe a credit card or take out a loan to make a t/s purchase, you probably don’t think of it as a test of your integrity or reliability. You’re more interested in how you’ll feel vacationing in your Fl timeshare.

Creditors don’t care about your personal happiness/hardships or quality of life. They just want to recover the money they lent you with interest.

People have to decide what they are willing to sacrifice.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Miss Marty - I know you are trying to help, but please be cautious about recommending a service that you are not personally familiar with.

The OP has already send a letter offering the deed in lieu of foreclosure, and the ball is now in Westgate's court.

Since the OP is already having financial problems, I'm not sure that hiring an attorney is feasible, or necessary at this point in time.

Last edited:

prosam

Reaction score
Just got a call from what looks to be a shady company, your timeshare genie. How did they get my information? They promised to be able to rent my timeshare or outright sell it.

While I was on the call I googled them and found a ton of complaints and I told her about it and told them to take me off their list. She immediately hung up.

But their not even trying. Their website is full of broken images and a mess. You would think scammers would want to at least look professional.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just got a call from what looks to be a shady company, your timeshare genie. How did they get my information? They promised to be able to rent my timeshare or outright sell it.

While I was on the call I googled them and found a ton of complaints and I told her about it and told them to take me off their list. She immediately hung up.

But their not even trying. Their website is full of broken images and a mess. You would think scammers would want to at least look professional.

We ALL get calls like that - whether or not we have a timeshare for sell/to get rid of. Some people think that timeshare employees steal and sell owner info. Frankly, someone at Westgate may have sold your info to them after they received your deed back request.

The scammers put little effort into their presentation, because as soon as they get busted under one name, they are going to close up shop and re-open under another name. Also, many of them are actually located outside the US and English is not their first language.

At this point in time, and with the strain on your finances, I don't think that it is in your best interest to pay money to anyone, to "get you out of your timeshare."

-If Westgate decides to accept your deed back - Westgate will process it - not a "rescue company" - no matter what they may tell you.

-If Westgate decides to foreclose on you - what is a "rescue company" going to do, besides take more money from you?

Either way - Westgate will handle the transaction, and you just have to stand tough.

Please keep us up to date on the process - it will help so many people!

BEST OF LUCK! :hi:

Last edited:

prosam

Reaction score
We ALL get calls like that - whether or not we have a timeshare for sell/to get rid of. Some people think that timeshare employees steal and sell owner info.

They put little effort into their presentation, because as soon as they get busted under one name, they are going to close up shop and re-open under another name. Also, many of them are actually located outside the US and English is not their first language.

At this point in time, and with the strain on your finances, I don't think that it is in your best interest to pay money to anyone, to "get you out of your timeshare."

-If Westgate decides to accept your deed back - Westgate will process it - not a "rescue company" - no matter what they may tell you.

-If Westgate decides to foreclose on you - what is a "rescue company" going to do, besides take more money from you?

Either way - Westgate will handle the transaction, and you just have to stand tough.

Please keep us up to date on the process - it will help so many people!

BEST OF LUCK! :hi:
Gotcha. Will do.

prosam

Reaction score
Westgate just called again, also got an email from them earlier. Same girl. She was nicer this time. She was told to let me know that my deed back request was not accepted. I told her ok, and that I'm willing to go into foreclosure, if that is the case. She again tried to convince me not to do it because my credit would be affected. I said I'm ok with that because I cannot afford it.

I expressed my dissatisfaction with the salesman's lies and she promptly quoted what I was already told by you guys, that the contract does not cover anything said by the salesman. That it was my duty to read it and be informed as to what I was signing. I told her I understood and do take the blame for my negligence.

I guess I should expect a phone call everytime I get an email. 2 emails, 2 calls on the same day in subsequent weeks.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Now that the parameters are clear, I would not accept any more of their calls - let them leave you a message if they have anything new to say.

prosam

Reaction score
Now that the parameters are clear, I would not accept any more of their calls - let them leave you a message if they have anything new to say.
Good idea. *proceedstosavephonenumbersoastoknowwhoiscallingandnotanswer *manthatwaslong lol

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Their target victims are older people that don't typically look things up on the internet.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since WG has refused the deed back request there is a way to stop the phone calls from them. Send WG a certified letter as detailed in the link below.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0149-debt-collection

With all due respect, that's probably a waste of time and effort. Since the OP initiated (...and sadly, will continue to "enjoy") a "business relationship" with Westgate, I don't believe that WG is obligated to honor a FTC "do not call" request, debt collection efforts aside and notwithstanding.

I'd be delighted to be mistaken and would gladly stand to be corrected, but that's my understanding of FTC "opt out" eligibility.

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do not Call under FDCPA is different than your standard DNC list. If they receive a DNC letter, they are prohibited by law from calling you. If you are in your workplace, you simply have to tell them it is a work phone and no letter is required. They can mail collection demands and any other necessary correspondence.

Collectors are fined per call for phoning people who are, or should be by notification, on their do not call list, and they take it very seriously. An analogy would be the fact that Wastegate doesn't pull shenanegans on rescission letters (once the victim has found the form and sent it within the rescission period).

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
With all due respect, that's probably a waste of time and effort. Since the OP initiated (...and sadly, will continue to "enjoy") a "business relationship" with Westgate, I don't believe that WG is obligated to honor a FTC "do not call" request, debt collection efforts aside and notwithstanding.

I'd be delighted to be mistaken and would gladly stand to be corrected, but that's my understanding of FTC "opt out" eligibility.

You will be delighted to know that you are mistaken. :D It is not an FTC do not call request. It is the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and WG does follow the law on this one.

prosam

Reaction score
So I just got this in the mail. Should I be concerned they are sending me to a collection agency? Will that change the way this shows up on my credit report? I don't intend on paying it regardless just wondering if this changes anything

Attachments

• Scan_20161207_130242.jpg
    Scan_20161207_130242.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 117

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
By law, the recession info. is supposed to be in your purchase packet, but it may be in fine print, or even nearly hidden.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rescinding = the legal right to cancel your timeshare purchase within a certain timeframe as prescribed by law. For all the details, see the other posts in this thread.

prosam

Reaction score
Rescinding = the legal right to cancel your timeshare purchase within a certain timeframe as prescribed by law. For all the details, see the other posts in this thread.
Oh, yes I remember that but can you explain what that has to do with the letter they sent? I was mainly asking about being handed over to a collection agency.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm sorry - I responded to one of your earlier posts.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I just got this in the mail. Should I be concerned they are sending me to a collection agency? Will that change the way this shows up on my credit report? I don't intend on paying it regardless just wondering if this changes anything
Well, seeing as how the letter says "We may send you to a collection agency," then yes, I think you could be concerned about that. I can't say how it will impact your credit report, but I'm guessing it's a bigger ding than just a late or missed payment.

prosam

Reaction score
Well, seeing as how the letter says "We may send you to a collection agency," then yes, I think you could be concerned about that. I can't say how it will impact your credit report, but I'm guessing it's a bigger ding than just a late or missed payment.
That's exactly why I am asking because I got that "ding" comment a few times in this thread and am wondering if this is now going to be MORE than a ding seeing as they are sending me to collections. The foreclosure will happen regardless but will the collection agency add more of a hit to the credit report? I'm going to call them and see what this means.

prosam

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with a Rep. I was not aware of this and wanted to inform everyone here. Westgate DOES NOT have a buy back deed in lieu of foreclosure program. They don't buy deeds back ever. According to this rep, financial hardship would only allow for a 2 month break in payments that would be added back towards the end of the payments.

How accurate is this information? Unless she was lying I guess it is accurate. So if anyone else on the forums ever asks. Wastegate WILL NOT buy back your deed. It's not even an option.