• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

An oddity I've noticed: We tend to comment on how female newscasters dress but not men

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
With the men sometimes I will comment if they have a nice colored suit or tie on. Or maybe they grew a beard or shaved a mustache- maybe new glasses. But you don't see them coming on as a news anchor with a tank top or something like the women might.

I do order the same pants and shirts and blazers- as long as they are still available- because I hate shopping and I stick with what works. They come right to my front door. Unfortunately, can't do the same with shoes.

I was thinking about this thread when I was getting ready for work today. After my hour exercise routine, I hit the shower and then had to do my hair and did makeup, got dressed, jewelry, etc. and so on. Takes me an hour just for that. And I thought to myself as I looked in the mirror- Gosh- it's a lot of work for an average woman just to look mediocre!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I do order the same pants and shirts and blazers- as long as they are still available- because I hate shopping and I stick with what works. They come right to my front door. Unfortunately, can't do the same with shoes.

I worked a seasonal job once selling shoes at Sears. A tall, slender "businesswoman" came in one time, and found a flat shoe she liked that fit her well. She asked me how many colors it came in. I told her it came in seven colors. She smiled, and said, "I'll take one pair in each color." I found them, and as I was ringing up her purchase, I asked why she'd want seven pairs of the same shoe. She said, "I'm a teacher, and i'm on my feet all day. You have no idea how hard it is to find good shoes for work." I had to admit, that was pretty practical.

I was thinking about this thread when I was getting ready for work today. After my hour exercise routine, I hit the shower and then had to do my hair and did makeup, got dressed, jewelry, etc. and so on. Takes me an hour just for that. And I thought to myself as I looked in the mirror- Gosh- it's a lot of work for an average woman just to look mediocre!

Dolly Parton thanks people who come to her concerts, saying, "I'm very glad you're here, because I need the money! You have no idea how much it costs to look this cheap!!" :D

Dave

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dolly Parton thanks people who come to her concerts, saying, "I'm very glad you're here, because I need the money! You have no idea how much it costs to look this cheap!!" :D

Dave

Too funny, Dave. Dolly is truly one of a kind--in a good way.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not just newscasters. And not just clothing, but what's under it.

Yes, many of us have been noticing this for decades and decades. Misogyny, plain and simple.

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
We recently got a new meteorologist on our local ABC affiliate. They only hire meteorologists, not "weather actresses." So many comments followed the announcement on Facebook saying the beautiful new woman had a long, giraffe neck, and many other nasty comments about her appearance - and mostly from men. It was disgusting. Not one comment about her ability to tell us about the weather, read the weather charts, satellite images, etc.

geekette

Reaction score
Over the last several years there has been an influx of female newscasters and weather people, which is great but, I've noticed that people will comment on what the women are wearing and not so much the men. Most of the time if the woman is wearing something that someone thinks is less than flattering, they'll make some snide comments about the outfit.

Discrimination? Probably not. Fair? Probably not. Does it need to change? Maybe. Does it really matter? I don't necessarily thing so. I think it's just how we are and it isn't likely to change in my lifetime.

And what's my point? Really there isn't one. It's just an observation about human nature.
It's like that everywhere. Society feels free to comment on any aspect of a woman's appearance; this is not at all new. Being female in a male industry, I have simply tried to dress like the men in order to not be obviously different. Getting accepted for my smarts was an uphill road when the focus was on how I wasn't like them, what with having longer hair, higher voice and boobs, as if it mattered. dockers and polo shirt are standard geek uniform. And when I wear a suit, it has pants vs skirt. No one makes fun of men wearing "pants suits" so it's unclear why women get ribbed for it. My legs are my business. And my feet aren't going to be punished into high heels.

lschaaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Men tend to wear something similar every day, so there is no comment. If they wore a sweater vest or bow tie or t-shirt after wearing a suit every day, there would be comments! But not much variation to talk about in a button down shirt or navy suit... My husband wore a zippered collar, pull over sweater this weekend instead of his normal long or short sleeve button down shirt. Everyone in our family commented because it was a different look! People want to be complimented on a nice outfit, especially if they took a lot of time planning it out...so of course we are "trained" to look at what people are wearing (I think of my teenage girls putting together what they will wear and posting on snapchat...wanting positive comments from their friends). The issue is now, there are no filters online, and people feel they can say whatever they want without regard to the tone or content. Not a good thing for society....

geekette

Reaction score
People want to be complimented on a nice outfit, especially if they took a lot of time planning it out...so of course we are "trained" to look at what people are wearing (I think of my teenage girls putting together what they will wear and posting on snapchat...wanting positive comments from their friends). The issue is now, there are no filters online, and people feel they can say whatever they want without regard to the tone or content. Not a good thing for society....
Yikes, I only ever want to be anonymous. no comment = good comment. Posting my look and trolling for positive comments horrifies me. The idea of needing outside confirmation screams of self-esteem issues and I cannot imagine putting oneself at constant risk of criticism and rejection based on CLOTHES!

I have always known I am not typical girl, so the idea of spending a lot of time putting together an outfit is abhorrent to me, I'd rather spend that time with my dog or anything else productive. I am not saddled with vanity and am instead pretty low maintenance for a female. If I could wear tshirt and jeans every day I would.

As soon as the men are also expected to slap goo on their face, use sharp pencils near their eyes, make their lips sticky and bright, accessorize, paint their nails, apply tasteful jewelry and of course smile and maintain always pleasant disposition regardless of what's going on, that's when I'll comply, too. Until then, folks that want to judge this book by my cover can go right ahead. I am not spending my money on painting myself to please others. That's simply not what I am on this planet for; I have more important things to do.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Men tend to wear something similar every day, so there is no comment. If they wore a sweater vest or bow tie or t-shirt after wearing a suit every day, there would be comments! But not much variation to talk about in a button down shirt or navy suit... My husband wore a zippered collar, pull over sweater this weekend instead of his normal long or short sleeve button down shirt. Everyone in our family commented because it was a different look! People want to be complimented on a nice outfit, especially if they took a lot of time planning it out...so of course we are "trained" to look at what people are wearing (I think of my teenage girls putting together what they will wear and posting on snapchat...wanting positive comments from their friends). The issue is now, there are no filters online, and people feel they can say whatever they want without regard to the tone or content. Not a good thing for society....

This is exactly correct. I wear jeans, a golf shirt and Nikes to work most every day. For the most part, in engineering, one can wear whatever they want. On a couple occasions, I've put on Dockers and a dress shirt to go to work. When my kids see me dressed like this, you'd swear I'd grown an extra appendage. They can't help but talk about how "stupid" I look, or how "weird" it is for me to dress nicely. Cracks me up, because, before kids, I used to almost always dress nicely for work.

I don't read nearly as much into this issue as most here. Women can be daring and take chances with their fashion. Men, not so much. If a normally blonde woman shows up with flaming red hair on Monday, no big deal -- Janet colored her hair. If a guy did the same, it would be the talk of the office for days, and there'd be lots of ribbing and heckling. It definitely goes both ways. For instance, if I started wearing a bright yellow shirt and bright red pants along with big, flashy white rimmed glasses, or similar, on a regular basis, people would eventually start to question my sexual orientation. And true, nobody "makes fun of men wearing pants suits", but if I wore a kilt, I guarantee they would. Again, it goes both ways. The difference is that men have been trained, or "nurtured" to not take chances with their style. So, as a rule, we don't.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I actually taught with a teacher, who, for some reason, wore a kilt to work one day. (He didn't teach history, or a subject that could be related to kilt wearing.) He got a lot of ribbing, which seemed to irritate him - strange that he didn't expect it.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife, a lawyer, has brought up this double standard many times. Even in court, male attorneys are addressed as Mr. Jones, or Mr Whatever, and can wear the most atrocious outfits- grey or pinstriped suit pants with a camel hair sport coat, for instance, while females have to wear dresses or skirt/jacket and appropriate jewelry. Female attorneys frequently are addressed a 'Sally' or Mary', and requested to drop off male attorney's files at the recorders office since they are going that way anyway. Oh, and while you're up, I like cream in my coffee.

Now that there are far more female graduates from law and medical schools than males,the discrimination is diminishing, but the bias still exists.

Jim

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Remember Steve Jobs when he said he always wore a black t shirt and jeans every day because it took one decision off his plate each day. That is pretty much me. in terms of wearing the same thing every day to work. I do the same with my week day breakfasts (oatmeal)and lunches (salad). More important things to work on.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I actually taught with a teacher, who, for some reason, wore a kilt to work one day. (He didn't teach history, or a subject that could be related to kilt wearing.) He got a lot of ribbing, which seemed to irritate him - strange that he didn't expect it.

This I like! I love men in kilts! LOL!

Reactions: mav

geekette

Reaction score
If that comment was the other way it would be treated differently as well instead of a joke.
probably, but you don't hear a lot about ladies doing that kind of thing. I'm not sure I know of a lady voyeur case. Can't think of a single camera found in mens room placed by a female.

Unless it's my man, I don't care what's under the kilt. Even if it is my man (and yes, my Dutchman does own a kilt), I am not compelled to peep. Seeing a male part is not terribly interesting. I'm not sure women are visually wired this way else PlayGirl would have been a popular magazine. Perhaps there just isn't a lot of demand for naked men.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
This I like! I love men in kilts! LOL!

I wore a kilt when DW & I got married in Scotland. During the ceremony I took the sash in the (nearly as we could ascertain) family tartan off, and wrapped her shoulders, claiming her. It was pretty cool with the piper piping and all.

Jim

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
During the ceremony I took the sash in the (nearly as we could ascertain) family tartan off, and wrapped her shoulders, claiming her.
And did she take something off, wrap it around you and "claim" you?

Interesting word, claim.

geekette

Reaction score
And did she take something off, wrap it around you and "claim" you?

Interesting word, claim.
Aye. I will attribute to generational differences and assume it was a touching moment in the ceremony for all involved.

For the record, I am not, and have never been, property that could be claimed. "Obey" was not in my marriage vows and I will remain appalled that women ever agreed to it.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe 'claim' was not quite the correct term in a modern context. The wedding was, after all a somewhat historical event at a historic castle. There was an exchange of rings as well as the sash and some clan jewelry on both sides.

It certainly was not 'claim' in a cave-man, 'grab the woman by the hair and drag her to my lair' kind of thing.

geekette

Reaction score
Maybe 'claim' was not quite the correct term in a modern context. The wedding was, after all a somewhat historical event at a historic castle. There was an exchange of rings as well as the sash and some clan jewelry on both sides.

It certainly was not 'claim' in a cave-man, 'grab the woman by the hair and drag her to my lair' kind of thing.
lol, I credit you with being far more evolved. I imagine the lady was there of her own free will vs part of biz transaction between you and her father.

Frankly, I think it's way cool to marry in a castle. I did not spend girlhood dreaming of my wedding, but there is a good chance a castle would have been in my scenario if I had. I'm pretty close, dating a duke. Titles don't enhance nor detract from romance; he's still just mortal, as am I.

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to work with a man who wore kilts every day during the summer. Those of us in MA just went with the flow. Our colleagues in Salt Lake City were a bit more conservative and had a lot more difficulty dealing with it.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
probably, but you don't hear a lot about ladies doing that kind of thing. I'm not sure I know of a lady voyeur case. Can't think of a single camera found in mens room placed by a female.

Unless it's my man, I don't care what's under the kilt. Even if it is my man (and yes, my Dutchman does own a kilt), I am not compelled to peep. Seeing a male part is not terribly interesting. I'm not sure women are visually wired this way else PlayGirl would have been a popular magazine. Perhaps there just isn't a lot of demand for naked men.

It could still be offensive to a male victim. No matter how few there may be.