• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Missing 2 functions from old system

PClapham

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
Foxrun
1. How can I find the threads I subscribed to?
2. How can I email a thread to someone who might be interested in the content?

Thanks

Anita. (PClapham)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Can't help with #2, but for #1, it is under 'Watched Threads'.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
1. How can I find the threads I subscribed to?
2. How can I email a thread to someone who might be interested in the content?

Thanks

Anita. (PClapham)

for number 2, click the NUMBER link at the bottom right hand corner, next to like/quote/reply

the number indicates the post id in the thread, and lets you share it with social media/email/etc etc

sharepost.jpg

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
for number 2, click the NUMBER link at the bottom right hand corner, next to like/quote/reply

the number indicates the post id in the thread, and lets you share it with social media/email/etc etc

View attachment 3009
That's pretty cool. Learned something new.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
There is no provision in standard XenForo for a user to email anybody directly from the board like on the old vBulletin board (except for the Contact BBS Admin link which does send email to the Admins). So for directly contacting another BBS user, it's just via Conversations.

For somebody not on TUGBBS you have to use your own email program. To send a link to an entire thread, right-click (or whatever the Apple equivalent is) on the thread name in the forum's thread list and copy the URL to paste into the email you send.

Brian already mentioned how to get the URL for a specific post instead of the thread as a whole.

As an alternate, I can't speak for all browsers, but I've got to suspect more than my Firefox have the ability to send a link to the page you are viewing at the time via the browser's File menu.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited to add:

Apparently XenForo DOES provide a way to send an email to Share This Page via YOUR email program, by clicking the email button in the 'Permalink' popup you get when you click on the blue post number button.

Example, see Post #8

But I was unaware of this because *I* don't see any of those Share This Page buttons.

I still know of no way for one user to send a message to another user other than as a private Conversation.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
There is no provision in standard XenForo for a user to email anybody directly from the board like on the old vBulletin board (except for the Contact BBS Admin link which does send email to the Admins). So for directly contacting another BBS user, it's just via Conversations.

For somebody not on TUGBBS you have to use your own email program. To send a link to an entire thread, right-click (or whatever the Apple equivalent is) on the thread name in the forum's thread list and copy the URL to paste into the email you send.

Brian already mentioned how to get the URL for a specific post instead of the thread as a whole.

As an alternate, I can't speak for all browsers, but I've got to suspect more than my Firefox have the ability to send a link to the page you are viewing at the time via the browser's File menu.
When you click on the post number, there are a number of Share options and email appears to be one of them. But I don't think it is working right. Twitter looks like it works, but perhaps there are buttons there that shouldn't be?

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When you click on the post number, there are a number of Share options and email appears to be one of them. But I don't think it is working right. Twitter looks like it works, but perhaps there are buttons there that shouldn't be?
Buttons? I don't see any, I just see the direct url at the top, and two tabs that select either the bbcode or html links to copy/paste to the appropriate places. But maybe that's because I have no Facebook, Twitter, etc stuff entered in my profile (?).

permalink.PNG

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Here is a screen shot. I don't have any of these Social Media sites in my profile either.
Capture.JPG

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score

View attachment 3009

I agree, this is a cool feature! I don't believe we had that before, did we?

Thanks for the 'enlightenment.'

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the only buttons that will work are ones you have configured within your browser or local computer (ie you have a facebook/pinterest/twitter/etc account)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the one that looks like an email is the link to click to email to someone, however it would require that you have your browser configured to load your email client upon cliking on an email link within the browser.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
also note that all of those icons should appear for all users, even if you dont have those apps...they just wont function if you dont have accounts or your browser setup =)

also if you click the orange PLUS box on the right...it should allow you to select a number of other possible apps to share the post with.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
the only buttons that will work are ones you have configured within your browser or local computer (ie you have a facebook/pinterest/twitter/etc account)
I am not sure what you mean. When I click on the email button, it takes me to an addthis.com website. When I then search for 'mail', there is an Email App option. When I click on that, it brings up my default email program and includes the link to the post.

I thought after selecting the Email App option the first time, that subsequent times I clicked on it, it would just open the email program. Instead it goes back to addthis.com again. I think this is something that is configured within XenForo, not within my local browser.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
because my browser is configured for the tug facebook page (and logged in) as well as the google + account, twitter, and gmail...clicking those links after clicking the "number" link allows those applications to instantly load.

so for instance, when i click the email icon, because my browser is configured to use gmail as my mail client, it instantly loads a gmail "new email" page with the subject of the post as the subject line and all i have to do to send it is type in the email address i want it to go to.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ok now i see what the problem might be....there are actually multiple "email" icons available...it shows gmail as the first one for me i guess because im using chrome and am logged into gmail.

if you hover over the little icons, it should display the actual app/program it uses. i do see the one just labeled "email" goes to a web browser based site that appears to allow you to send an email to someone without having an email account setup.

there was also another "email" link i saw in the line that would trigger whatever default email client your browser was setup to trigger if you clicked on someones email address etc. like tug@tug2.net

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is one nice feature.:thumbup:
Brain, I have started to print all these new features in my TUG notebook.

Outstanding!

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
ok now i see what the problem might be....there are actually multiple "email" icons available...it shows gmail as the first one for me i guess because im using chrome and am logged into gmail.

if you hover over the little icons, it should display the actual app/program it uses. i do see the one just labeled "email" goes to a web browser based site that appears to allow you to send an email to someone without having an email account setup.

there was also another "email" link i saw in the line that would trigger whatever default email client your browser was setup to trigger if you clicked on someones email address etc. like tug@tug2.net
Hovering over the icons on the popup box just shows Preferred_1, Preferred_2 etc. None of them show any actual names of the apps or websites.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Buttons? I don't see any, I just see the direct url at the top, and two tabs that select either the bbcode or html links to copy/paste to the appropriate places.

View attachment 3010
Mystery solved. The Share This Page buttons were being blocked by my ad blocker.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Mystery solved. The Share This Page buttons were being blocked by my ad blocker.
I am running an AdBlock and can at least see the buttons. Just that none of them really work. Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr seem to actually go to those sites requesting login, but all the others direct to addthis.com.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
addthis appears to be the "application/plugin" that serves up those links to social media pages...so going to the addthis page lets you pick whatever buttons you want to appear in the list for your browser on the forum.

and of course, if you dont have any of those applications configured they wont do much.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
addthis appears to be the "application/plugin" that serves up those links to social media pages...so going to the addthis page lets you pick whatever buttons you want to appear in the list for your browser on the forum.

and of course, if you dont have any of those applications configured they wont do much.
Yeah, you can go to AddThis.com and pick them, but it doesn't seem to add them to the list of available options and even if you find one that works through AddThis, you have to always go to AddThis.com to pick it every time. There is no real way to add the buttons to the ones available when you first open the dialog box.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
hmm, after actually using the ones for mine, it shows them in my list vs the original ones that were there before (for instance DIGG now shows up in mine)