• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Least amounts of points that could be bought directly from Disney

sui

TUG Member
Reaction score
I asked a while ago about purchasing magic kingdom lodge, and thank you everyone for the suggestion of buying after visiting.

After my first visit to the WDW, I realized that

1. I'd like to stay at the bay lake tower for the convenience of monorail.

2. September is definitely not a good time to visit. I'll come in late Jan/ early Feb alternating to utilize the annual pass.

3. I don't need a 2bed, 2 studios should work since I'll purchase the dining plan.

Now here's my new question.

I need 6 gold annual passes every 2 years. I'd like to buy some points from Disney directly so that I could get the member discount for annual pass. What is the least amount of points that could be purchased from Disney directly? It starts from 100 points on their website, but I've seen 25 points on the resale market.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you aren't an owner already you need to buy a minimum of 50 points.

If you already are an owner you could buy a little as 25 points.

As always it depends of your use year request and disneys availability of these.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
Also, make sure you understand use year. For your case I think a October-December UY would be your best bet, just in case you want to travel for the holidays.
Also if you are a resale buyer you will be eligible for the same annual pass discounts, as if you buy from Disney directly. For more information I would go to the www,disboards.com.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also if you are a resale buyer you will be eligible for the same annual pass discounts, as if you buy from Disney directly.

this is not true any more:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...embership-benefits-resale-20160404-story.html

Starting today (April 4, 2016), "members who do not purchase an ownership interest directly from Disney Vacation Development Inc. will not have access to Membership Extras," the company says on its website.

Membership extras include discounts on merchandise, annual passes and restaurants. They also include access to a lounge opening soon at Epcot, a sweepstakes, and special events such as movie screenings, a member cruise and a recent party at the Magic Kingdom.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
It would be better to do it in the other order, then you can add on as few as 25.

True financially, but if you Disney keeps devaluing resale points perks, then it could make sense to buy direct in a small package.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
That's what I'm saying: if you buy resale first, your minimum direct add-on is 25 points. If you buy direct first, your minimum buy-in is 50.

Yes I know but if you wanted all your points to be good for anything in the club you'd need to buy direct or the resale points would be excluded.
Not that anything in the club is really worth paying a premium for these days if you just want to use them in the system.
I've looked at using my points for cruising and it's not really that bad of a deal given the cruise pricing lately.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
if you wanted all your points to be good for anything in the club
...then you need a lesson in basic finance! :)

More seriously: the "per-point" benefits available only to directly-purchased points are: Disney Collection, ABD, or DCL travel. In almost every case, it would be better to rent out the equivalent number of points, and use the cash to book the resort, trip, or cruise you wanted, because you'd have money left over. The "per-account" benefits include the dining, merch, and AP discounts, and those are good as long as you have *any* direct purchase, so a smaller one is better.

Do you have an example of a cruise you think is "worth it"?

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
...then you need a lesson in basic finance! :)

More seriously: the "per-point" benefits available only to directly-purchased points are: Disney Collection, ABD, or DCL travel. In almost every case, it would be better to rent out the equivalent number of points, and use the cash to book the resort, trip, or cruise you wanted, because you'd have money left over. The "per-account" benefits include the dining, merch, and AP discounts, and those are good as long as you have *any* direct purchase, so a smaller one is better.

Do you have an example of a cruise you think is "worth it"?

From a financial perspective I do agree it's better to buy resale.
But at this point in my very complicated life, I find comfort in simplicity.
I have rented my points out but that's a bit of a hassle.
Easier than most clubs but still a hassle.
I do have repeat customers, but only because I'm charging a fair price for my points.

I didn't buy my points to rent them out, I bought to use, but my life has changed as happens to most of us.
My health took a huge hit the past 4 years and so have my Disney trips.
Cruising is easier right now for me and I've been going on other cruise lines but am glad to have the Disney option.
I used to be all about the cheapest route, but with the ever changing rules with the clubs and exchange companies,
I'm glad I bought with my future in mind.

It was thanks to many here on TUG and TS4M's that I learned those lessons young enough to plan ahead.
Disney was my only direct TS purchase before I knew better, but honestly I don't regret it.
I have always gotten my reservations and not having to rely on RCI brought me years of convenience.
But you are very correct that it's not the smartest way into the club but Disney makes it the easiest.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question. I had my BCV and OKW points that I bought resale. I realized I needed a small add-on from DVC to get any of the DVC perks.

I bought a 25 point OKW contract from my Disney guide in November. My biggest reason was I really wanted to have access to the member cruise since my grandson is 8 and my granddaughter is 5.

My thinking: There's always an option to pay cash for the member cruise. I figured I would be able to reserve the Member Cruise using cash, since I now have the (new Blue Membership card) developer points. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
I have a question. I had my BCV and OKW points that I bought resale. I realized I needed a small add-on from DVC to get any of the DVC perks.

I bought a 25 point OKW contract from my Disney guide in November. My biggest reason was I really wanted to have access to the member cruise since my grandson is 8 and my granddaughter is 5.

My thinking: There's always an option to pay cash for the member cruise. I figured I would be able to reserve the Member Cruise using cash, since I now have the (new Blue Membership card) developer points. Thoughts?
You can't use your resale points (if they were purchased after April last year - I think that's the date) for the cruise. You'd have to pay cash if you only have 25 direct and none grandfathered.

hyperjewl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten
From a financial perspective I do agree it's better to buy resale.
But at this point in my very complicated life, I find comfort in simplicity.
I have rented my points out but that's a bit of a hassle.
Easier than most clubs but still a hassle.
I do have repeat customers, but only because I'm charging a fair price for my points.

I didn't buy my points to rent them out, I bought to use, but my life has changed as happens to most of us.
My health took a huge hit the past 4 years and so have my Disney trips.
Cruising is easier right now for me and I've been going on other cruise lines but am glad to have the Disney option.
I used to be all about the cheapest route, but with the ever changing rules with the clubs and exchange companies,
I'm glad I bought with my future in mind.

It was thanks to many here on TUG and TS4M's that I learned those lessons young enough to plan ahead.
Disney was my only direct TS purchase before I knew better, but honestly I don't regret it.
I have always gotten my reservations and not having to rely on RCI brought me years of convenience.
But you are very correct that it's not the smartest way into the club but Disney makes it the easiest.

So if you had it to do over again, knowing what you know now - would you still buy direct from Disney or buy through resale. We're evaluating if it's something we'd like to do. We do own another property and have plenty of trading power to go where we want, except for in the Disney parks & we have 4 young girls. There's something to be said of Disney convenience and luxury! We're debating if we should add dvc into the mix too and if we should go direct or through resale if we decided to go that route.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO, the three reasons to buy direct are (a) if you are interested in a specific Fixed Week, (b) you absolutely cannot wait a few years to have the newest resort as your Home Resort, (c) you want to own at one of the smallest resorts. In cases (b) and (c), there generally aren't many resale contracts available, and they do not trade at much of a discount.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
So if you had it to do over again, knowing what you know now - would you still buy direct from Disney or buy through resale. We're evaluating if it's something we'd like to do. We do own another property and have plenty of trading power to go where we want, except for in the Disney parks & we have 4 young girls. There's something to be said of Disney convenience and luxury! We're debating if we should add dvc into the mix too and if we should go direct or through resale if we decided to go that route.
I would buy resale and after it closed and I was in the DVC system, I would buy 25 points from DVC for the AP discount as I go multiple times per year and see value in the AP discount. But since my resale points are "grandfathered" into the system without restrictions (I bought resale before the restrictions) I do not currently have that issue. I am now thinking of selling my DVC but before I do I will buy 25 points direct for the AP discount.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Icydog. Yes. We did dvc members cruise on our 35 point add on contract, paying $ for all 5 of us.
I would buy resale and if you want a small direct purchase if the perks are important to you.