• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Things To Do in Kitty Hawk, NC in December

Mister Sir

TUG Member
Reaction score
We'll be doing our annual family vacation at the end of December in Kitty Hawk, NC this year.

Looking for fun outdoorsy things to do; boating, sailing, kayaking, hiking, biking, etc.

My wife and I will be joined off and on by our ten children and their various significant others throughout the week. Ages of the children are 14 through 29. We all enjoy active outdoor stuff.

Any recommendations on places to go, things to see and do, and the best eateries are greatly appreciated. Breweries, too!

Lastly, do businesses on the Outer Banks shut down for the winter season?

Thanks in advance!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
A quick Google search turned up this webpage: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...istmas_in_OBX-Outer_Banks_North_Carolina.html

Your biggest obstacle will probably be the weather. It can be very cold at the beach, especially if the weather is stormy. When we were on the Outer Banks last Summer, I don't recall seeing any indoor swimming pools, and that linked website says most outdoor pools aren't heated. Keeping ten children occupied and entertained may be a bit of a struggle.

This website has a lot of things to check into, but I'm not sure how much is seasonal: https://www.outerbanks.org

We enjoyed the Wright Brothers Monument at Kill Devil Hill. Very informative, and a great illustration of what the first powered flights were truly like. Big thumbs up. https://www.nps.gov/wrbr/index.htm

We tried one day to run down to see the lighthouse at Cape Hatteras, but the weather turned us back. We did tour the Bodie Island lighthouse, which was pretty interesting. There are many others scattered around. https://www.visitnc.com/story/coastal-lighthouses

We enjoyed ourselves plenty, but we were only two people. I hope you and your family will find plenty to do.

Dave

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would be great if you were staying at Beachwoods. The resort was turned into a four seasons resort with the biggest draw being onsite amenities to keep the whole family occupied no matter what season. Many indoor things to do including an indoor water park. However, if you are not, as previously stated, there are few resorts with indoor pools and activities of any significance.

However, there's plenty (in my mind) to do, even in December. I've been a life-long traveler to the Outer Banks, traveling there from coastal Virginia.

A few favorites

1) Jockey's Ridge is the largest natural living sand dune on the East Coast. I always love visiting Jockey's Ridge State Park and climbing the dunes over to the Sound and watching any hang gliding going on from atop of the dunes. Jockey’s Ridge is one of the best places on the Outer Banks to fly a kite.

2) NC Aquarium On Roanoke Island - Learn about stingrays alligators, otters and so much more. Discover the conservation efforts in the Sea Turtle Assistance and Rehabilitation Center and see the largest collection of sharks in the state. The North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island is a must see.

3) Visit Wright Brothers National Memorial - Become a Junior Ranger at the Wright Brothers National Memorial. Pick up your entire Junior Ranger booklet and program schedule from either of the Wright Brothers National Park visitor centers. Complete the program and earn your Junior Ranger badge!

4) Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge - The refuge includes more than 154,000 wildlife acres of wetland habitats and a wide variety of wildlife, ranging from wood ducks and alligators to black bears and red wolves. Plant species, including Atlantic white cedar, bald cypress, wildflowers and shrubs, are abundant. Visitors will find hiking and wildlife trails, observation platforms, fishing areas and kayaking and canoeing routes.

5) The Outer Banks Children @ Play Museum is a small but dynamic family interactive museum designed to encourage families to learn and grow together through play! Enjoy some real Outer Banks life as you play in and around our 25 foot charter fishing boat, take your catch to the market, then cook it all up in our Children @ Play Cafe. Take care of sick bears in our Outer Banks Teddy Bear Hospital or leave a beautiful picture in our giant lite brite. Make memories while enhancing your child’s math, science, language, and social skills. Special classes covered by the price of admission are available throughout the year.

Restaurants

1) Salt Box Café in Collington. Quaint little restaurant by Chef Sprinkle and his wife Amanda. Make reservations.

2) Trio in Kitty Hawk is a cool little place with wine tasting stations, a hearty selection of beers and wines, as well as other offerings. They have regular events. They serve up lunch, as well as offer local entertainment.

3) Bonny's Bagels in Kitty Hawk has a great variety of delicious bagels and you can order breakfast sandwiches and such to in or on the go.

4) Beachside Bistro in Kill Devil Hills overlooks the ocean and serves up good seafood.

5) The Black Pelican is across from the ocean in Kitty Hawk. Reasonably priced and good seafood with a view. Whenever they have catered any events that I have attended, the food as been good.

6) Blue Point sets in Duck Village on the Sound. We have enjoyed many nice lunches over the years at Blue Point while enjoying the views and shopping in the Village afterwards.

7) Coastal Provisions offers dinner, and a wine bar, as well as an outdoor oyster bar (seasonal). It can be a bit pricey. It is also a gourmet market with take-out items. It is located in a shopping center as you enter Southern Shores.

8) Kill Devil Grill in Kill Devil Hills is where the locals go for upscale casual, salads, sandwiches, fresh local seafood, chops, steaks, ribs, chicken and more. Bar. Open Tuesday - Saturday. Closed for 3 weeks in January only.

8) The Paper Canoe in Duck. I haven't personally been here, but it's gotten rave reviews since opening. Daily selections from handmade pasta, locally caught seafood and rustic wood oven specialties.

9) Red Sky Café in Duck. We love Duck Village and Red Sky offers a unique variety of seafood dishes, chicken, meat, vegetarian entrees, desserts. "Gourmet-to-go", "Chef on call" and premier catering for your next special event.

Sample Itineraries of Things to Do

I don't if all these things are available, but some good ideas for things to do.

https://res-1.cloudinary.com/simple...b_16_dd89e9f2-7cf0-4d67-a016-a2333eb881da.pdf

https://res-2.cloudinary.com/simple...b_16_2ca1a2c8-9935-44af-a716-cbcb3200b792.pdf

https://res-2.cloudinary.com/simple...b_16_568cc4e7-3be5-4aff-9de1-8b8c6b2bee80.pdf

In December, I believe most things will be open and available. In January and February, some businesses and restaurants close down for the season. But for the most part, if the weather is good, it should be an enjoyable getaway without crowds for the whole family.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the restaurants information (Kill Devil Grill sound great). We may ride down from Va Beach, VA for a day trip visit later this month.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the restaurants information (Kill Devil Grill sound great). We may ride down from Va Beach, VA for a day trip visit later this month.

I haven't been there in the off-season, but folks line up to get into this place in-season. It's no more than a 2 hour drive. I love that drive from Virginia to the Outer Banks.

If you partake in wine or beer, Sanctuary Winery and the Weeping Radish Restaurant and Brewery are on the way to the Outer Banks.

The OP mentioned Breweries. The following link may be of help.

http://www.outerbanks.com/beer-wine-guide.html

Mister Sir

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the links and info. This will be very helpful.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Egret's list is beyond comprehensive. Great suggestions from an OBX expert.

We sorta like the Black Pelican. The food isn't exceptional, but great bar area and the ambiance is upscale rustic and we like it.

If you want to drive north towards Corolla, there are some places to see and visit. We like the scenic drive from Kitty Hawk to Corolla, and in off season it wouldn't ruined by the bumper to bumper traffic. We enjoy grabbing lunch or dinner at North Banks Restaurant & Raw Bar. Good drinks and good food.

Also, been to Outer Banks many times over the years, and first time ever took one of the Corolla Wild Horse tours in 2015. My wife wanted to do it and I actually enjoyed it. But the weather was nice, and it made for a good open air ride. Probably too cold to do now. Those tours may even be closed for the season, I have never went to Outer Banks in December.