• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

hell week at marriott aruba ocean club

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish

TUG Member
Reaction score
there's 3 pages of posting at www.aruba-bb.com about the JANUARY HELL WEEK at the ocean club.. remains a mystery to me how marriott allows this particular group of people to get away with this behavior EVERY YEAR. OH WAIT!! it's all about the money. perhaps that is a contributing factor as to why the m/f's have gone thru the roof.

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we were at the St. Kitts property earlier this month we ran into a couple who had traded into St. Kitts from Aruba. They were telling us that they had been in Aruba last year during this infamous week and how horrible it was. Rude mobs of people and lots and lots of kids allowed to run wild. They said they will never ever return there during that particular week again.

BetaJoe

Reaction score
Is it the whole month or some particular week.

When did it begin this year, when will it end this year?

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is one week and from what I understand the week can vary slightly from one year to the next. I was told it was the week that NY State gives its "Regents Exams" in the public school system.. Private schools are not required to give these exams so it is a "free" week for private school students.

modoaruba

Reaction score
Word is that this group pays for all the damages they cause...

Ingrid

I think it's week 3.
A prior post of mine suggested that they should have partyed on the roof prior to fixing it.
This way they would have to pay for the whole roof refurbishment and we would have had no increase in MFs.
No one appreciated my humor.:D

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
irish: Has any MAR Aruba owner written the head honchos regarding this yearly bad event? Can TUG MAR Aruba owners band together to send a letter to those that handle problems like this?

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I woudn't care if they paid for all the damage they caused. It will never compensate those who's vacations they've ruined by their bad behavior. I'm afraid if I was an owner I'd be complaining to eveyrone under the sun about any behavior that's normally prohibited until something was done about it.

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trying to get some sense of the magnitude of this problem. Roughly what percentage of Ocean Club and Surf Club would this group occupy?

Smooth Air:cool:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Here's the thread from last year ...

Count me in with all the folks who say that if unruly owners/guests do not police themselves then it is up to Marriott to police the situation enough so that other owners'/guests' vacations are not ruined. If I was there and had to suffer through that nonsense, I'd demand that MVCI return my week to me to use another time. At the very least.

modoaruba

Reaction score
I was there in December.
Mentioning week 3 to the staff especially on the beach brings a look of terror to their eyes.

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
I have reviewed the previous threads on January Hell Week in Aruba. I was born in Brooklyn, NY but only lived there as an infant. There is a wide discrepancy in the behavior between one person and another within any ethnic group or family. My family has been torn apart because one of my sisters joined an ultra-orthodox sect and insisted upon having her children educated in ultra-orthodox private schools. Due to her actions and the manner in which she chose to raise her children, my other sisters and I basically want nothing more to do with her or her family. Her eldest daughter was recently married and none of the bride's maternal aunts, uncles or cousins went to the wedding.

Deeper discussion of this matter will lead into tugbbs taboos. However, I understand why the third week in January at Aruba Ocean Club is Hell Week in a deeply personal way.:(

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I think it's week 3.
A prior post of mine suggested that they should have partyed on the roof prior to fixing it.
This way they would have to pay for the whole roof refurbishment and we would have had no increase in MFs.
No one appreciated my humor.:D

I believe it was reported was that they pay for any additional expenses the resort incurs to accommodate the group (additional security, staffing for the elevators, etc), not that they cover any and all damages at the resort during that period.

But I did appreciate your humor. :D

The broader issue is that MVCI has little basis to prevent owners from lawfully occupying their week/ or from renting weeks. On an individual basis they could take action based on that's individual's personal history at the resort. But I think you would have a discrimination issue if you attempted to take action on a collective basis.

Last edited:

susanmmm

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Regents Exams

My kids go to school in NY state and write Regents exams. The exam schedule was from January 26 thru 29th this year. If interested, you can google New York State Regents Exam schedule and find out when it is held every year. This might help some people determine when they wish to vacation.

modoaruba

Reaction score
I believe it was reported was that they pay for any additional expenses the resort incurs to accommodate the group (additional security, staffing for the elevators, etc), not that they cover any and all damages at the resort during that period.

But I did appreciate your humor. :D

The broader issue is that MVCI has little basis to prevent owners from lawfully occupying their week/ or from renting weeks. On an individual basis they could take action based on that's individual's personal history at the resort. But I think you would have a discrimination issue if you attempted to take action on a collective basis.

Hi Eric,
Thanks for the appreciation:D .
But you mentioned the "d " word.:eek:
That opens up a can of worms.

WelcomeHome

TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn't this really week 4 that should be avoided?

Isn't this really week 4 that should be avoided (not week 3). After viewing the regents schedule for 2009 through 2011, the corresponding Marriott week is week 4 - not week 3. I'm asking because we're planning on going late January and I'd really like to avoid such a controversial and impolite crowd.

Thank for your help.

David

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
It generally is week 3; this year was supposedly an anomaly that it was scheduled for week 4.

L

laurac260

curiousity got the better of me...

What is Hell week? I clicked on the above mentioned website, but found no listing for it.

L

laurac260

ok, nevermind, I found what I was looking for. I am surprised that someone resurrected such a thread though.

I worked in hotels for years. One year I booked a hockey group. The kids were running around chasing each other with hockey sticks. The parents were in the bar.

Another year I booked a soccer group. Some of the adult guests complained that the teenage girls were hitting on them and making lewd comments. The parents were in the bar.

Another year we booked a christian youth group. Security was called several times, especially when the young men were hanging off their balcony yelling at the girls, "show us your tits!" (no kidding!) Who knows where the chaperones were.

Seems bad behavior comes in all shapes and sizes.

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do Marriott & the Owners of Ocean Club & Surf Club know that their property is the site of a camp? This has to contravene the "Ownership Guidelines". Do the camp attendees own @ Ocean Club/Surf Club or is Marriott renting out villas to accommodate the camp attendees?

Smooth Air:cool:

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
How very sad that this happens supposedly under the watchful eye of Marriott security. I loved the time I spent in Aruba and am thankful to know never to go there in early January.
It would be a lose-lose situation for me because of a ruined week and no doubt probable incarceration due to my reaction to this type of behavior.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
No doubt, bad behavior does come in all shapes and sizes. As well, we can't look at the bad behavior of any one group of any certain ethnic or religious flavor and make an illogical leap that every person of that flavor will be badly behaved. But that hasn't been the purpose of any of the threads that I've read in the last few years about this.

The reason the topic of this particular group's behavior at the Aruba Marriotts is resurrected each year is because it keeps occurring each year! I don't own there but I think it's disgraceful that Marriott allows any group's behavior to so negatively impact the vacations of every other guest in the place. From all reports over the last several years, this is a huge problem. It's not one or two or even ten families - it's a large enough group to impact every guest at the Ocean Club, Surf Club and Marriott hotel. That's a nightmare that I wouldn't want to be anywhere near.

I don't know what the answer is for Marriott other than to hold owners accountable according to the bylaws, and suspend their ownership if any bylaws are broken. But it appears there are also renters and guests of owners participating. And how could Marriott possibly advise people when they're making their reservations that this might not be a good time to visit, without acknowledging some responsibility for it happening? Or being subject to claims of discrimination? Like I said, I don't know what the answer is.

But I do think that the topic should be resurrected here on TUG every year that this is a problem, because posts on timeshare/travel message boards appear to be the only way for people to be aware of it in case they want to change their vacation plans. And I hope that if similar problems occur at any other resorts, no matter who the badly-behaved cretins may be, we get to read posts about those too. Because I know I'd be one of the folks who would change my plans if I read about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.