• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What ever happened to small, medium, large?

sammy

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the 2000s, we have instead:

Tall, Grande, Venti;

Like It, Love It, Gotta Have It.

It took me a few times to realize my Tall Starbucks was really a small and I still have to look on the board to remember the Love It is a medium.

I realize it makes them seem quite sophisticated when they have special names, but it'd be much simpler and a WHOLE lot clearer, IMHO, going back to s,m,l.

I KNOW there are lots more.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
To my dh Starbucks serves small, medium and large. That's what he asks for, and that's what he gets. :whoopie:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
In the 2000s, we have instead:

Tall, Grande, Venti;

I've never understood "Venti" -- What does 20 have to do with anything?

Besides, my idea of a coffee shop is the regular coffee maker on the left side of the counter, and the fancy lever-pull espresso maker on the right. I make better coffee than the surly barrista downtown. Why would I want to give her any money?

They can call it whatever they like, it's still "small medium and large."

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Couldn't resist posting a joke

The midget (er, vertically challenged individual :rolleyes: ) couldn't get a job, so he turned to crime. Specifically, he put out his shingle as a fortune teller, and started scamming unsuspecting clients.

Of course, he eventually scammed too many of the wrong people. He was caught, tried, convicted, and sent to prison. But there, his stature turned out to be an advantage when he was able to crawl though a tiny access hole and escape.

His escape discovered, prison officials sent out the dogs and started searching. They also enlisted the help of the media to try to locate him. The headline?

Small Medium At Large

(Sorry about that. Carry on.)

-Bob

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Tall" is not small, "short" is. Some stores did not have the short size (and they don't put it on the menu), but lately every store I have been to has short. I think short is 8 oz and tall 12. 8 oz is what I usually like - "like it," but not too much. :D

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The midget (er, vertically challenged individual :rolleyes: ) couldn't get a job, so he turned to crime. Specifically, he put out his shingle as a fortune teller, and started scamming unsuspecting clients.

Of course, he eventually scammed too many of the wrong people. He was caught, tried, convicted, and sent to prison. But there, his stature turned out to be an advantage when he was able to crawl though a tiny access hole and escape.

His escape discovered, prison officials sent out the dogs and started searching. They also enlisted the help of the media to try to locate him. The headline?

Small Medium At Large

(Sorry about that. Carry on.)

-Bob

That is a groaner!! Thanks for the Friday afternoon chuckle.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Small + Medium + Large + Extra-Large.

Saxes-1860.jpg

-- hotlinked --

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
At a local fast food establishment here we have small, medium, and macho.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Pizza places often don't have small pizza's anymore. They have medium, large and family size. I don't think many fast food restaurants have small drinks anymore do they? There must have been something about the word "small" that made those in marketing quiver in their shoes because you just don't see the word small used in the restaurant business very much these days.

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Basically they can call their drinks or meals anything they want. Its all marketing. If you go to a place more then a few times you know what to expect. At Starbucks if your tall is too "small" they'll dump it and give you the next size up which is "grande". Venti is 20 ounces. I could care less what anybody calls their drinks. They can call them "shorty", "dumpy", and "yao ming" for all I care.:)

When I was working I would go to a very busy starbucks a block from my office. The entire staff was excellent, friendly, human expressions register on their faces. My drink would be made and ready for me by the time I got to the register to pay. I was a good customer and tipped appropriately. Sometimes I would get my drink for free. I was told by the manager that they had the flexibility to "comp" a drink once in awhile for regulars. If the drink I ordered was ever below my expectation (which was unusual) they would apologize and have a new one in my hand in a flash. You can get surly service at any place but I have been to numerous starbucks all over the country and can't recall one incident.

I usually get a sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach when I am forced to go to McDonalds (dire circumstances-grandkids must go-no energy left to fight the issue). The staff at McDonalds look and act like they have been anesthetized. McDonalds is entering the "fancy" coffee drink big time. If I had to start my day by going into a McDonalds, I would refuse to start my day.

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I had to start my day by going into a McDonalds, I would refuse to start my day.

There are worse things. :D

I know a guy who's as loyal to our local McD's for their coffee as some are to Starbucks. (Probably the free refills, as he spends a lot of time there.)

Starbucks is great about fixing problems, though.

Marty

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was at a McDonalds and without looking the board ordered medium fries. The response "We don't have medium. We only have small, large and extra large." I asked "So they wouldn't the large then really be medium?" Answer "No. We don't have medium, only small, large and extra large." :confused:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I was at a McDonalds and without looking the board ordered medium fries. The response "We don't have medium. We only have small, large and extra large." I asked "So they wouldn't the large then really be medium?" Answer "No. We don't have medium, only small, large and extra large." :confused:

I recieved a similar stupid answer/stare from a guy at Smashburger the other day. From work I placed two orders and, over the phone I told him it was two orders. I got there and they had the orders ready but the guy rang them up as one order. I told him this was two orders, not one. He needed to seperate out the bill. He repeated the total amount instead. I repeated that this was two seperate orders which need to be billed seperately. With this stupid blank look on his face he told me, "But it's to late."

I thought about asking for the manager. I thought about saying, "You're right, it's to late" and then walking out of the store without my order. I would have done the late but, Diane was expecting her burger and fries back at work. So instead of increasing my frustration, I paid the guy and figured the change out myself.

Turns out I should have checked the order as well. They didn't get it right. They might have great burgers but I haven't been back. The order has been wrong two times out of five and it's never been more than two orders placed. That's to frequent of a fail ratio for me to continue to do business with them. Great product, lousy delivery.

But I can' tell you the size of their drinks. I have yet to buy a drink from them. It's always been orders to go without drinks (cheaper at home). Fries and O-rings are easy. There's only one size for those.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
What about Sonic Drive In, it is not extra large, but a Route 44. Is it really 44 oz? It is I did look it up. No wonder my bladder is screaming for a break after drinking one.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Turns out I should have checked the order as well. They didn't get it right. They might have great burgers but I haven't been back. The order has been wrong two times out of five and it's never been more than two orders placed. That's to frequent of a fail ratio for me to continue to do business with them. Great product, lousy delivery.

This is my biggest peeve about drive through and take out at fast food. I found Taco Bell to be the worst in the past, they have gotten better though. I would say 5 out of 10 times an order is wrong. Almost every time I go to KFC lately, what I get doesn't match what I ordered or the receipt.

I have always considered getting a gov't grant to shop these places to find trends and get statistics on how accurate they are. Best of all, I would be able to eat for free :D

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I have always considered getting a gov't grant to shop these places to find trends and get statistics on how accurate they are. Best of all, I would be able to eat for free :D

You couldn't pay me to eat at most of 'em.

I gave up on all but one fast food joint because of quality. The only place left that gets my patronage is In-N-Out. When you order fries at an In-N-Out, someone pulls a potato out of a sack and juliennes it with a "potato whomper." So they're alright by me.

The rest don't serve food. They serve grease and chemicals. If I'm hungry on the road, I'll find a supermarket and get a deli sandwich. Micky-D's got my last dollar years ago.

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
You couldn't pay me to eat at most of 'em.

I gave up on all but one fast food joint because of quality. The only place left that gets my patronage is In-N-Out. When you order fries at an In-N-Out, someone pulls a potato out of a sack and juliennes it with a "potato whomper." So they're alright by me.

The rest don't serve food. They serve grease and chemicals. If I'm hungry on the road, I'll find a supermarket and get a deli sandwich. Micky-D's got my last dollar years ago.

No In-and-Out Burgers on this coast, no Fatburger either. When I go out to Vegas I'll try to go to one (if not both) of them. More often than not it's Fatburger as they're on The Strip.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
No In-and-Out Burgers on this coast, no Fatburger either. When I go out to Vegas I'll try to go to one (if not both) of them. More often than not it's Fatburger as they're on The Strip.

Since you don't get to In-N-Out often, do you know to order your double meat "animal style"?

I was schooled by a very friendly Las Vegas In-N-Out clerk. (Everyone at In-N-Out is friendly, incidentally. It's like they pay everyone $1 million a year.)

"A double meat, please."

"You look like an 'animal style' kind of guy."

"Animal style?"

"Extra everything with grilled onions. Doesn't cost a penny extra."

"Oh, yeah. animal style."

I only go maybe three times a year. But when I do, it's TWO double meats, animal style, with fries. No soda, thanks. I brought beer.

Next time, I'm bringing champagne, a bucket full of ice, and two Reidel flutes.

Getting back to topic, In-N-Out serves small, medium and large. Just another reason to skip the "medium, large and x-tra large" places, if you ask me. Businesses that treat me like a moron fail to receive my continued patronage.

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since you don't get to In-N-Out often, do you know to order your double meat "animal style"?

I was schooled by a very friendly Las Vegas In-N-Out clerk. (Everyone at In-N-Out is friendly, incidentally. It's like they pay everyone $1 million a year.)

"A double meat, please."

"You look like an 'animal style' kind of guy."

"Animal style?"

"Extra everything with grilled onions. Doesn't cost a penny extra."

"Oh, yeah. animal style."

I only go maybe three times a year. But when I do, it's TWO double meats, animal style, with fries. No soda, thanks. I brought beer.

Next time, I'm bringing champagne, a bucket full of ice, and two Reidel flutes.

Getting back to topic, In-N-Out serves small, medium and large. Just another reason to skip the "medium, large and x-tra large" places, if you ask me. Businesses that treat me like a moron fail to receive my continued patronage.

You can have your fries made "animal style" too. There is an additional cost...little over a buck I think. Sauce, cheese, grilled onions. I mean-if you really want to go for it :D

Added pics :) http://www.badmouth.net/in-n-outs-secret-menu/

Last edited:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Last edited:

stevedmatt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish I knew this a couple days ago. I was at the Dean Martin Drive Las Vegas location on Friday. I wondered what that was I saw on a burger. Bacon? Nope. I asked at the register when I went back for my second burger if they had bacon. No go. So I ended up with the same regular cheeseburger.

Next time I go back I have to try the double double animal style, extra toast. And maybe some animal style fries.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't like the "animal style" fries, although I do like my burger "animal style." I like my fries "well done." Besides being yummy crunchy, usually you get almost two servings when they are done this way (at no extra cost).

Fern

You can have your fries made "animal style" too. There is an additional cost...little over a buck I think. Sauce, cheese, grilled onions. I mean-if you really want to go for it :D

Added pics :) http://www.badmouth.net/in-n-outs-secret-menu/

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
My husband has started ordering his In-and-Out burger "protein style." He's trying to cut down on carbohydrates, so this is a palatable way to do so.

I do love In-and-Out--best burgers & fries I've ever had. Just thinking about them now is making me hungry.:)

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Oh, you must try In-and-Out next time you're here. The one on Dean Martin Drive is just west of the Strip just on the other side of I-15 and north of Tropicana. Here's a map.