• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Marriott Reserved Week

Reaction score
Hello

My Marriott week just recently closed and I wanted to decide for 2018 whether it was better to reserve a Grande Vista at 9 months out (wk 26) with TDI of 150 or a Ocean Pointe, Beach Place at 6 months out via Florida Club TDI 150 for deposit to Interval?

Thanks

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
If the TDi is the same then I would go with the unit you can reserve earlier. All else being equal the earlier you deposit your week into II the more trading power you have.

Good luck.

Mike

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello

My Marriott week just recently closed and I wanted to decide for 2018 whether it was better to reserve a Grande Vista at 9 months out (wk 26) with TDI of 150 or a Ocean Pointe, Beach Place at 6 months out via Florida Club TDI 150 for deposit to Interval?

Thanks

Question is; do you want to be inland or on the coast? Reserve the Grande Vista now, and then at the 6 month mark try for your Florida Club exchange (I assume you have a Grande Vista unit which belongs to the Florida Club).

Doing it this way will get at least something that you want.

Best of luck!

lweverett

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that Marriott allows you to change the reservation at your home resort - I often do it for my Marbella week. Perhaps they would allow you to change your reservation to a new resort if it is within the Florida club. I don't know that this would work, but you could inquire.

Reaction score
To clarify. i want to reserve a week that i can THEN deposit to II so is it better to reserve a Grande Vista at 9 months out or Beach Place or ocean pointe at 6 months out, both TDI of 150??

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The non Orlando resorts may have slightly higher trading power but you probably won't be able to notice the difference especially if you are locking off and depositing as 1 BR and studio. Not to mention that if you wait until 6 months those 150 tdi weeks might not be available to reserve.

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I reserve grand vista first then change to ocean point at 6 month time, do I have to pay a fee to Marriott to change the reservation?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you are not enrolled a cancellation fee would apply. If it was not available you would then be depositing the Grande Vista at 6 months which would be slightly worse than depositing it at 9 months but again you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Unless I misread you.....
If I reserve grand vista first then change to ocean point at 6 month time, do I have to pay a fee to Marriott to change the reservation?

Once you book and deposit with II, you can't change the deposit. It's gone......

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless I misread you.....

Once you book and deposit with II, you can't change the deposit. It's gone......
If you do it as a Request First exchange with Interval though and it has not been confirmed, you can take back your "home" week and change your MVC booking.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
If you do it as a Request First exchange with Interval though and it has not been confirmed, you can take back your "home" week and change your MVC booking.

True. But that's not a 'deposit.' Edit: Trade power is locked-in at time of deposit. Waiting 6 months (?) will theoretically decrease the trade-power of the deposit. It's not clear, but the OP indicates the goal is deposit in II, not to actually use the unit. So, it's a question of what gives the highest deposit value, high-TDI MGV at 6-12 months or FC unit at 6 months? My vote is on 12 month high-TDI MGV. No guarantee of even getting the FC exchange.

In theory, you can search with anything. edit: You'd need to request first with MGV and then cancel once the FC exchange was made. So you could search for up to six months via request first, pay the cancellation fee (Marriott) and then cancel the II MGV exchange request and place the new request with your FC deposit. IF the FC exchange failed, then you'd deposit your (<6 months) MGV into interval and convert your request to a deposit first request.

But, I think the ultimate goal was to get the absolute best II deposit available for the 2018 use year. So it's back to the chicken or the egg: Is the high-TDI EARLY MGV deposit better than the high-TDI LATE deposit for an FC unit? And, is it better to have a six month lead to search--via deposit first--with the MGV, or is it better to search for six months with MGV (request first) and then search via deposit first after booking the FC unit (if available) or finally just depositing the MGV; which is now late?

I think the priority is:
High TDI (they both are)
Early deposit (only the MGV deposited now is early)
Deposit first (vs request first) if you're not using the unit.

So, that would favor: depositing a high-TDI unit, as close to 12 months+ from reservation, deposited and search requested as soon as possible.

I don't think waiting six months hoping for an FC exchange and depositing a unit <6 months from check-in, searching via request-first in the mean-time is a 'better' solution. IMHO.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello

Thanks
Obviously there are nuances as mentioned in this thread. The point I wanted to make is that a 150 for OP is NOT the same trading power as a 150 at GV. While II doesn't release the info I suspect that side by side an OP 150 deposited 6 months out will trade better than GV deposited 9 months out, esp if you do the lockoff's. There are other factors as noted, if you could reserve at the same time AND the timing works for you then I'd likely take the OP. Keep in mind though that doing the GV will give you additional time to travel if you're mainly looking at summer travel. Assuming the same TDI number means the same trading power is a common misperception. If you cross reference with RCI's info it suggests that Palm Beach at a few months out trades significantly better than Orlando week 26. I used Palm Beach Shores and Marriott's CH to compare. Personally I'd take OP week 13 if available with 12 & 14 being second choices, over GV week 26 for trade power alone assuming the extra time wasn't more important than exact trade power.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Valid points. Depends on the difficulty of the ultimate trade I guess.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Hello

Thanks

I don't think it makes a difference, and think you have gotten good advice. I think mjm1's point is a good one that if TDI's are the same, pick the one you can get 9 months earlier versus 6 months. I don't believe there is a huge difference in your trading power at 9 months versus 6 months, but every little bit helps.

I also believe that Orlando has modestly decreased value as a deposit because it is so overbuilt.

An interesting datapoint is that some people (like me) think the Marriott point chart is a reasonable proxy for trade power -- and a 2BR Marriott Grande Vista in July costs 2,900 destination points. A 2BR Marriott Ocean Pointe OS in July is 2,950 points.

So Marriott thinks there is a tiny bit more value to the OP week -- but not much. I'd rather have the extra 3 months of deposit life.

Good luck!

Best,

Greg

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think it makes a difference, and think you have gotten good advice. I think mjm1's point is a good one that if TDI's are the same, pick the one you can get 9 months earlier versus 6 months. I don't believe there is a huge difference in your trading power at 9 months versus 6 months, but every little bit helps.

I also believe that Orlando has modestly decreased value as a deposit because it is so overbuilt.

An interesting datapoint is that some people (like me) think the Marriott point chart is a reasonable proxy for trade power -- and a 2BR Marriott Grande Vista in July costs 2,900 destination points. A 2BR Marriott Ocean Pointe OS in July is 2,950 points.

So Marriott thinks there is a tiny bit more value to the OP week -- but not much. I'd rather have the extra 3 months of deposit life.

Good luck!

Best,

Greg
Greg, in RCI the difference between CH and Palm Beach shores is quite substantial spring to summer. I get a TPU of 27 for week 26 for both PBS & CH while the TPU is 34 for Easter (reduced to 31 with the shorter time frame) and surrounding weeks. By contrast the TDI in II is 135 for OP and 150 for GV & CH for week 26. So I must conclude that a 135 the the Palm Beaches is roughly equivalent to 150 for Orlando in II. And that's the only week during the summer that is that high for either. Technical I know but my conclusion has to be that even with the shorter notice, OP will trade better than GV for the times mentioned but still keeping in mind a longer window may also have benefit. Whether it will be enough to make a difference depends. Even if it doesn't ultimately change the long term chances, getting an exchange a month or 2 earlier can be significant for many.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I'm voting for Greg. o_O

Pick one you're comfortable with (probably the earlier deposit) and move forward with grace and confidence.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm voting for Greg. o_O

Pick one you're comfortable with (probably the earlier deposit) and move forward with grace and confidence.
The reality is that many of the best weeks for OP would be attainable now if available at all and the ones you'd have to wait on would only be a week or 2. I would agree with the bird in the hand approach if that has to be the decision. It's also possible that week 26 may not be available at GV and it's the only one that's 150 TDI for Orlando which is considerably less than 150 for OP.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I think too many people worry too much about the small nuances of trade power. I don't believe it makes much difference in 99% of the cases beyond the most obvious, such as Hawaii or a ski week trades better than Branson.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think too many people worry too much about the small nuances of trade power. I don't believe it makes much difference in 99% of the cases beyond the most obvious, such as Hawaii or a ski week trades better than Branson.
My experience suggests that a 10-20% difference in trade power can be the difference in actually securing an exchange in many situations but as a minimum often significantly influences when an exchange occurs which can be make or break for air fare and planning. YMMV.

Steven121969

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Thanks for the information everyone. I am the original poster, I just logged in with the wrong profile. I did the test in II as other suggested in the past with a dummy Marriott reservation. I found the Ocean pointe at 6 months out (Mar 11/18) studio did better then MGV week 26 (both TDI 150). The Ocean pointe traded back into 27 resorts in Orlando during summer 2018 while the MGV only pulled 21 resorts. I seem to see a few more 1 bedrooms with Ocean Pointe in other locations as well.

Thanks Steve

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information everyone. I am the original poster, I just logged in with the wrong profile. I did the test in II as other suggested in the past with a dummy Marriott reservation. I found the Ocean pointe at 6 months out (Mar 11/18) studio did better then MGV week 26 (both TDI 150). The Ocean pointe traded back into 27 resorts in Orlando during summer 2018 while the MGV only pulled 21 resorts. I seem to see a few more 1 bedrooms with Ocean Pointe in other locations as well.

Thanks Steve
This is c/w my experience though I must admit that often the trades I'm looking for where this is applicable are often tough to get anyway like Aruba Jan/Feb and HH summer mostly MGO. While not applicable to this example, sometimes seeing more or less is an indication of resort quality rather than trade power with II since they tend to limit you to exchanges within a range of the resort quality. It's not uncommon to see more with the lower quality deposit than a higher quality one even at the same trade power.