• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Welk Exchange through II Confused!

wallyboag

Reaction score
Hi Everyone-

I appreciate any help you can offer in advance.

My mother in law has a Welk timeshare she inherited from her parents who passed on. She has kept the dues up (almost $1K a year) but has not been using it!

The decision has been made that it needs to be sold, but we would like to get some use out of it before we do that.

We have a trip to Florida planned in February of 2018.

Can we exchange the 2017 points (she has 240,000 welk points, which is enough for a 2 bedroom at Welk) for a 2 bedroom at some resort in Orlando in February 2018, or could we only exchange her 2018 points (thus meaning we would need to pay the 2018 dues in order to exchange?)

How do we go about doing this? I'd like to know what resorts are available, but navigating the II website, it looks like we have to deposit the points before we can do that? If we deposit her 2017 points, will they be good fora 2018 vacation? If we deposit the points and then can't book the vacation in 2018, do we just lose those points?

Thanks for any help!

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We are former Welk owners. Unless things have changed since we sold the unit back to them a couple years ago, she needs to call Welk to have them deposit a unit into II. She will be able to use her 2017 week for an exchange in 2018 and into 2019, but recognize that the earlier she deposits the week, the better trade value she will receive for her unit. The sooner she requests a trade the better chance she will have to receive something she likes (i.e. Before other exchangers get the available inventory.)

As far as selling her points, she can try to sell them on the open market via TUG Marketplace, redweek.com, or a broker. She can also call Welk and ask if they will buy them back. They did that for us and we got about what I thought I would get on the open market. About $2,800 for 300,000 points as I recall. Plus they reimbursed us for the maintenance fees for the week we hadn't used. That may be an option in her case if she doesn't want to try to make a trade via II. I started another thread regarding selling the points back to them when I did it. Do a search here on TUG and you should find the number to call if you aren't sure.

Good luck in either case.

Best regards.

Mike

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! I'm glad you were able to make use of the timeshare.