• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Questions for Maui Ocean Club Owners - New Towers or Original

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Is it possible to lock-off two EOY units and use 2 1 bedroom units to reserve one year and 2 studios the next year? (Trying to decide whether to purchase MOC.)
Not exactly sure about your question, but no; lock-off reservations must be used in the year they are paid for. So, you can not 'bank' a week forward or 'borrow' a week from the next years usage. This is the same for annual or EOY units. Also, lock-off units can not be used to book 13 month reservations (from the same specific unit-ownership). Lock-off units from different ownerships (multiple week/resort owners) can be used to establish 13 month bookings. AFAIK.

So, no I think, is the answer to your question unless I misunderstood....
Thanks @taterhed for clarifying, you understood correctly. The two EOY MOC units would qualify for 13 month reservations but the lock-offs cannot be banked (unfortunately).

You can't bank lock-off components to the next year through an internal MVW mechanism, but you could deposit them to II and request intervals that match to existing reservations, ultimately ending up with (for example) a 1BR owned component and a 1BR II exchange during one year, then a Studio owned component and a Studio II exchange unit during another.

It'd require you to watch your dates carefully for reserving, depositing and requesting, but it could be done.

I might be confused by what you're saying about EOY Weeks and the 13-mos Reservation Window but just in case ...

If you have two EOY lock-off Weeks with usage in the same year, the 13-mos window can be used if you book both of those Weeks, or lock-off components from both of them, consecutively or concurrently. But if you have two EOY lock-off Weeks with one having even-year usage and the other odd, you can't use the 13-mos window to book the individual lock-off components of each in their designated use years.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
You can't bank lock-off components to the next year through an internal MVW mechanism, but you could deposit them to II and request intervals that match to existing reservations, ultimately ending up with (for example) a 1BR owned component and a 1BR II exchange during one year, then a Studio owned component and a Studio II exchange unit during another.

It'd require you to watch your dates carefully for reserving, depositing and requesting, but it could be done.

I might be confused by what you're saying about EOY Weeks and the 13-mos Reservation Window but just in case ...

If you have two EOY lock-off Weeks with usage in the same year, the 13-mos window can be used if you book both of those Weeks, or lock-off components from both of them, consecutively or concurrently. But if you have two EOY lock-off Weeks with one having even-year usage and the other odd, you can't use the 13-mos window to book the individual lock-off components of each in their designated use years.

Thanks @SueDonJ. Yes, I was referring to owning 2 EOY in the same year. So it sounds like one could get priority booking in year one. How difficult would it be to get an II match to MOC oceanfront for year 2? Does the fact that you have 2 studio units earn any priority for booking? or would one be most likely in an Island view exchange in year 2?

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Thanks to everyone for all of the input on my original question. I've been busy watching Irma the last few days and keeping track of our daughter who was riding out the storm in her dorm at University of Florida, so I've been a little slow to say thanks.

After re-reading the thread a couple times, I'm considerably less enthusiastic about the prospect of becoming a single-week MOC owner and taking on the booking frustrations. Buying a second week at somewhere like Waiohai seems like the best way to maximize the booking odds, but I'm not really enthusiastic about needing to buy a second week just to be able to effectively use the Maui week. We would almost always stay in Hawaii for two weeks, but while we would definitely want to go to Maui Ocean Club every trip (we love Kaanapali, the beach walk, and the whole vibe there), we would prefer to alternate the second week between the other islands from trip-to-trip.

Not sure what we're going to do. There are a few attractive listings out there for EOY MOC weeks right now, but none of the purchase strategies seem to work for us.

- DC Points fit our needs the best and would be the simplest way to go, but for a place like Maui where we would go on a regular basis, booking each time with points is not very cost effective.
- Buying an EOY week on Maui would be cost effective, but if we have to buy a second week we don't really want/need just to effectively book that Maui week, that option doesn't really work either.
- A hybrid bundle built around a Maui week checks most of our boxes by providing us an efficient week to use plus the flexibility of points for switching things up, but I'm not quite ready to spend $30K+ on this Maui thing.

So, I guess I'm back to the drawing board...:shrug:

JoJo12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim,

I have been following your quandary and very complete posts about all the options. What we have decided to do is buy a legacy fixed week in one of the new MOC towers and totally eliminate the booking uncertainty. The extra cost is worth it for us. Maybe they will even have a stable value if MOC floating weeks become even more difficult to book!

Over the years I have done all the tricks of miles and points, but now I don't want the hassle of knowing if I can go where and when I want to go since it will be with grandkids.

Pam

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Jim,

I have been following your quandary and very complete posts about all the options. What we have decided to do is buy a legacy fixed week in one of the new MOC towers and totally eliminate the booking uncertainty. The extra cost is worth it for us. Maybe they will even have a stable value if MOC floating weeks become even more difficult to book!

Over the years I have done all the tricks of miles and points, but now I don't want the hassle of knowing if I can go where and when I want to go since it will be with grandkids.

Pam
If you own a floating week, and a fixed week, does that qualify you for the 13 month window for booking the floating week if you were to book it concurrently or consecutively with the fixed week?

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
If you own a floating week, and a fixed week, does that qualify you for the 13 month window for booking the floating week if you were to book it concurrently or consecutively with the fixed week?

Yes, according to the one Marriott Rep I spoke to.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I'm new to consecutive week booking at 13 months. Can you elaborate a little? When you say book non-MOC first, is that because only after that 13 month week is reserved, will it allow me to book the 13 month minus 1 week for MOC? Or can I ask to book the 13 month minus 1 week at MOC first...and add the 13 month non-MOC second?

The reason I ask is that it sounds like every minute counts for MOC..even if booking at exactly 9am. So, I'd love to reserve that week first for the 13 month minus a week...to give the best opportunity at inventory on the preferred check-in dates. It also saves me from booking non-MOC first for say a Saturday to Saturday checkin....and then find out I cannot get an adjoining Sat checking at MOC (which has more difficult occupancy)...but instead has only Friday/Sunday. Then I'd have to back and adjust my non-MOC week to match Fri/Sunday....right?
You are correct, the first reservation in the string must not be farther out than 13 months. But your matching up of check-in dates should not be an issue because you would reserve the whole string in one call at 13 months ahead of the first check-in date of the string.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

Yes it does -- I have fixed MOC weeks (22 - 25) and have been booking float weeks for Week 26 and 27 and using 13 months from the very first Week 22. So, in this application, Ko Olina Week 26 has become something like a fixed week for me, and I book it 14 months in advance.

Best,

Greg

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Clever. Costly because of the increased cost of fixed weeks, but it's a door to getting a 3rd or 4th "fixed" week at the cost of a floating week, since at 13.5 or 14 months you're pretty well certain to get what you want. Also explains why inventory, even at 13 mo, can be reduced.

Aztraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own two weeks at MOC and usually split our 2 bedroom and spend two weeks in the Spring and two in the Fall. In the past, I have had little problem obtaining Spring reservations at the 52 week release and did have some issues with the 13 month time period when we stayed longer in the Spring. The fall has always been easy. The last three years have been difficult for Spring reservations. I always used the internet at the release time 52 weeks in advance. Here is a summary of my experiences:
  1. Spring 2016 Reservation -- Could not obtain the Saturday check-in we desired, but a few weeks later those dates became available and we made the change.
  2. Spring 2017 Reservation -- The on-line reservation system crashed on the day to make reservations. I could not get through on the phone until two hours later. Nothing was available for our request. We are flexible and waited a week and tried again. System crashed again, but on the phone simultaneously and got the first week for a Friday check-in. The second week, for our lock-off, same issue, but able to book a Sunday check-in. Decided to stay in Paia for the night between reservations. Everyone was having issues with the on-line system during this period. I think they were "improving" the system.
  3. Spring 2018 Reservation -- All going well with the on-line system, clicked "Confirm", got response "No Availability". On phone at same time, agent was less than helpful and stated the system give multiple users the same time and whoever hits "Confirm" first gets it. Seems like a system issue to me, but who am I to judge. Agent basically told me "tough luck". On the way, to the airport for the first leg of our journey called again and was able to speak with an agent who used a 13-month strategy to get us booked for the two weeks on a Sunday arrival. Later had to rearrange some things he did for us, but it all worked out.
All these were done at the 52 week mark. We are flexible and everything worked out and we will enjoy MOC. For the ten years before the 2016 Reservation, we had absolutely no issues at 52 weeks. You can make your judgments, regarding our recent experience. We are legacy owners and I attribute these issues to the DC program. At the same time, when discussing this with MOC management, they tell me MOC has the least DC reservations available because most owners use their weeks. We will see what the future holds.

Good luck with your decision. In parting, all I have to add is that MOC and Maui are fabulous! We feel lucky to be there whenever.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Clever. Costly because of the increased cost of fixed weeks, but it's a door to getting a 3rd or 4th "fixed" week at the cost of a floating week, since at 13.5 or 14 months you're pretty well certain to get what you want. Also explains why inventory, even at 13 mo, can be reduced.
One can buy a week (or 2) elsewhere to rent out or use for trades to have the same effect for a LOT less both up front and yearly. If you buy one that's a lockoff AND has a Thursday check in, you're actually ahead of the situation described.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dean

Where would you suggest those extra weeks be at?
I think it depends, it's essentially the same question as a trading unit in general. IMO the best option depends a little based on the situation but I think there are 2 methods that fit many people. One is to just buy something that's a good trading options, has a Thursday start, somewhat reasonable fees and lockoff's. Willow Ridge, Grande Vista and Harbour Club come to mind but there may be others. The other is to try to compromise to something that you will actually use and fits most of those criteria, maybe something like Ocean Pointe.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Dean, if you knew you were going to reserve this Thursday start date week in February and then most likely rent it, any suggestions on which to use?

Then again, maybe one of these is a candidate for a hybrid knowing you’ll convert it to points. I know MGV keeps coming up in lots of points and rent threads, particularly the 3BR platinum.

Starting look like another spreadsheet exercise. :)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dean, if you knew you were going to reserve this Thursday start date week in February and then most likely rent it, any suggestions on which to use?

Then again, maybe one of these is a candidate for a hybrid knowing you’ll convert it to points. I know MGV keeps coming up in lots of points and rent threads, particularly the 3BR platinum.

Starting look like another spreadsheet exercise. :)
To be honest, I haven't thought about it in exactly those terms. So you'd want something with a Thursday start as the lead, something Gold or Platinum but not overly expensive either up front or dues, lockoff and something rentable as well as not mostly or all in the Trust. That likely only leaves Grande Vista and Harbour Lakes unless I'm missing somewhere. There are a number that hit most of those but not all points including CA desert, Beach Place, Ocean Pointe, Ko Olina, Doral, Legend's Edge and Aruba. If you could exchange or use part of the time, that would be a plus or if you could enroll to take points that might alter options. Lockoff likely wouldn't matter as much for a rental but it would rob you of starting a week earlier. Interesting set of restrictions. What were you thinking?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothing at the moment, but still trying to align Maui weeks and may start looking at various other alternatives when we get back home this weekend from there.

You just got me thinking. :)
It is easier when you are doing Spring to Fall compared to Jan to April as there are a few other options. Most still aren't Thursday start AND lockoff but a couple of others are. Another alternative is to come up with an additional option you'll use fairly routinely. That way even if it's a little more expensive up front and yearly, you get value for the expense like Aruba, Singer Island or Palm Desert for example. Regardless there often isn't a perfect alternative for exchanging or to play the 13 month reservation window when looking at trade power, price and the like. If you can do a lot of flex change options you might consider a Willow Ridge option but I'd still look for the 2 applicable Orlando properties over that for that time. Some of the other trading options like Williamsburg and LV don't have Thursday start from what I understand.

dsafety

Reaction score
My answer may be a little off point but I will post it anyway. I own an annual 1br MOC unit. Quite frankly, I seldom stay there. I like to cook and not having a kitchen makes things challenging. I have become quite the BBQ chef to compensate.

When we go to Maui, we almost always trade into one of the towers. We have quite a bit of flexibility with the timing of our vacations so this has worked for us most of the time. One time we got a mountain view unit in the Napili tower during a stormy period. We could not even open the doors to the deck without having everything inside the unit blown away. Every other time we have had excellent units. If you have to have a specific date, your experience may be different.