• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

News: Pre/Post Hurricane info for Timeshares/Resorts

jojo777

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Marriott Frenchman's Cove in St. Thomas suffered structural damage and is closed.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Most all of the Tradewinds crew and any guests that were onboard are all safe. There is only one crew who they are trying to contact, but cell phone service has been damaged.

The Tradewinds Bases in Antigua and Guadaloupe all sailed south to Martinique to avoid the storm. Trying to get some confirmation onSt Martin Base, but it is looking good. So while the base may have sustained some damage, the yachts are all good that were located in these bases.

The base in BVI did not have a destination practical to sail to. No crew or guests were onboard during the storm. The yachts remained in the harbor, at there normal docks. Considering what the rest of Nanny Cay Marina looks like, they are not as bad off. It does look like 1 boat has sunk and 1 has sustained damage and is listing. It does look like the other four that are docked there appear to look alright in the pictures I have seen. But Tradewinds has made no comment yet on the fleet. They have also not yet commented on the Bahamas crew, yacht and base, as I do not believe they have communication at the present time.

Base in BVI
21430582_10155688056957760_5430916872163614270_n.jpg

My boat, Jeri, that I was to be on in Exumas next year.... (I know it is my boat because it is the only one like it in the fleet. )

21371286_1456571834396032_3310331296522503903_n.jpg

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
The Marriott Frenchman's Cove in St. Thomas suffered structural damage and is closed.

So Sad (for everyone down there of course).
I guess no MFC this year. Maybe next.

The islanders always seem so resilient; I hope this storm is no different.
Sigh.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Just received this from II this afternoon. I could not find a tab for Travel Advisory.

To Our Valued Members:

Your upcoming vacation through Interval International is confirmed for an area which may be impacted by Hurricane Irma. Updates on resorts with known closures will be posted on intervalworld.com under Travel Advisories. However, resorts not listed on the Travel Advisory page may also determine they must shut down their properties based on rapidly changing local weather conditions prior to or during your stay at the property.

Interval recommends that you contact the resort to which you are confirmed before you leave for your vacation. In addition to the operational status of a resort both before and after a storm, members should consider the impact on the overall destination, as well as the availability of gas, food, and other critical supplies as part of their decision-making process.

If you determine that you wish to cancel your confirmation, or if you are advised by Interval or the property that the resort is unavailable, please take one of the following steps.

• If you purchased resort accommodation insurance from Interval for your exchange or Getaway booking, you should contact Allianz Global Assistance at 1-888-427-5047 to discuss your options.

• If you did not purchase resort accommodation insurance, you may contact Interval at 1-800-468-3782 or your resort's dedicated Interval phone number. Any of our agents can provide you with assistance and/or information on your options.

While our representatives work closely with affiliated resorts to obtain information as soon as it becomes available about resort status, we want to ensure that you are aware of the conditions in the destination to which you’re travelling and take appropriate action to make sure that you’re safe.

Sincerely,

Interval International

Interval Hurricane information....thanks

jeffcarp

TUG Member
Reaction score
All of these hurricane reports have me curious about what happens from more of a legal perspective if a resort is significantly destroyed by a hurricane?

I assume that the repair and replacement of the resort is largely an insurance transaction and has no direct impact on the interval owners. I would also assume that the interval owners are still obligated to pay annual maintenance fees and that would be required to do so whether the interval owner could use the resort or not because of the damage.

curtjones

TUG Member
Reaction score
All of the Orlando attractions are closed as of today, Saturday 9/9/2017. No information when they will reopen (Disney, Universal, etc.)

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
I found this heartbreaking video of St. Maarten online. I think it is safe to say that the island will be closed to vacationers for a long time.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
All of these hurricane reports have me curious about what happens from more of a legal perspective if a resort is significantly destroyed by a hurricane?

I assume that the repair and replacement of the resort is largely an insurance transaction and has no direct impact on the interval owners. I would also assume that the interval owners are still obligated to pay annual maintenance fees and that would be required to do so whether the interval owner could use the resort or not because of the damage.
The resort needs to have proper coverage and usually there is a deductible. The shortfall falls on the owners if there isn't enough money financially to cover. I assume like you maintenance fees need to be paid even without use.

DanZale2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found this heartbreaking video of St. Maarten online. I think it is safe to say that the island will be closed to vacationers for a long time.

It looks very, very bad for St Maarten.

Last edited:

bauerej

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Waterside by Spinnaker in Hilton Head, SC. Spinnaker is a small TS operator with resorts in Florida, Hilton Head, and Branson.
We actually had a reservation to check in at Hilton Head this afternoon (Sat 9/9). They called me on Thursday and cancelled my reservation (frankly I was happy because that took the weight of decision off my shoulders). I did not want to spend 2 days driving there from Texas just to turn around and come back.
This was the status from their website this morning:

Ormond Beach Resorts Reservation Cancellations
All Ormond Beach resorts (Royal Floridian and Royal Floridian South) reservations for check in starting Friday September 8, 2017 to Wednesday September 15, 2017 have been cancelled.
Hilton Head Resorts Reservation Cancellations

All Hilton Head resorts (Bluewater, Waterside, Carolina Club, Egret Point, Southwind, The Cottages and S.R Hotel) reservations for check in starting Friday September 8, 2017 to Friday September 15, 2017 have been cancelled.

They also noted that Hilton Head island got an evacuation order by the governor yesterday, even though the storm now appears to be headed further west.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
300+ post-hurricane PHOTOS from various islands in the Caribbean, showing the vast destruction.....
(includes St. Thomas, St. John, Sint Maarten, Saint-Martin, Antigua, Barbuda, Marigot, Haiti, and many more)

Leaves me with a very heavy heart for the people.......

https://weather.com/safety/hurricane/news/hurricane-irma-images

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
We have an Encore package and 2 extra nights (DC points) booked for Barony Beach starting the 16th. When I saw that American had added CHS to their travel alert though 9/17, I called MVCI to see if we could reschedule. The agent wasn't helpful (I'm being really kind) and said that as of now, the reservation is set. She suggested we wait and see what happens in the next several days and that I could call back at a later date. When I said Monday? she said no, they're closed on Monday, how about Wed. or Thurs and see what decision was made from the corporation. Not a happy camper- a different tone would have made a huge difference.:(
Fredward, I'm not disagreeing with you regarding the Marriott employee, but I think that they are located in Miami. The person you spoke to probably had a lot on her mind, including her family, residence, how she was going to evacuate, etc.

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Newport Coast, Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club, Villa Del Palmar Cancun, El Cid Marina & Yacht Club, Four Seasons Aviara
In an interview conducted with the Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO), Ramon Andrews, director of tourism for Turks and Caicos, said the destination has only sustained minimal damage, such as minor flooding and structural damage, including blown off roofs, as Hurricane Irma reached the island Thursday night.

“Everyone is reporting in from the hotel side of things that everything is ok and there is no loss of life,” says Andrews. “The area I have been in has had a bit of flooding, but nothing significant.”

Andrews did note, however, that the island has yet to receive the “All Clear” notice from the Department of Disaster Management and Emergency.

The Turks and Caicos Collection, which represent three luxury hotels in the destination, issued a statement saying its properties are all fine.

“All guests and staff of our three resorts, Blue Haven Resort, Alexandra Resort and Beach House are reported safe and unharmed,” according to the statement. “Given the damage sustained on island, all guests are remaining on property pending further instructions from the authorities on the conditions of roads, electrical service and the status of Providenciales International Airport (PLS), which is currently closed. The resorts have sufficient supplies, food and water to care for all guests in the interim.”

According to Sandals Resorts International, as as Friday morning, Beaches Turks & Caicos, will not receive any new arrivals until September 21.

“Beaches Turks & Caicos can now report that following the passing of Hurricane Irma, the strongest storm ever reported in the Atlantic Ocean, all guests and staff are safe and comfortable on resort,” according to a Beaches spokesperson.

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on recent videos, pics and reports, resorts on ST Martin and St Barths should be considered closed until otherwise reported: Heavy flooding and damage at the ports and sea level areas. Higher elevations unknown. Initial reporting only....

Thanks so much for posting these. I'm sure they'll help many of us. I can't travel much anymore, but my son was scheduled for a week in Myrtle Beach starting yesterday, and I'm glad he didn't pack too soon. With all this misery going on, things like this are very helpful.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about this resort. The way it was constructed is very prone to damage from a strong storm or ground erosion.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
The resort needs to have proper coverage and usually there is a deductible. The shortfall falls on the owners if there isn't enough money financially to cover. I assume like you maintenance fees need to be paid even without use.
Why do you think they have to be paid? I would think you shouldn't have to pay them
If there is no unit to be occupied.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Helios,
Property taxes, water & sewer fees, electric, insurance property & liability, security costs, maintenance plus repairs.

When you go on vacation, doesn't your home, car, utilities, cabletv, insurance, etc still go on.

If you aren't working, you still have medical bills, housing costs, car repairs & loans & insurance.

Your timeshare is NOT A RENTED vacation ... which you pay for ONLY when you decide to use it.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why do you think they have to be paid? I would think you shouldn't have to pay them
If there is no unit to be occupied.
You own a piece of the property, even if it's just a week. There are still expenses to pay, taxes, ground upkeep, electricity, staff, etc., until the units are ready to occupy again.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
As stated, you will still be expected to pay the maintenance fees for the reasons given.

I own two weeks in Marathon in the Florida Keys. I haven't bothered to check on the resort. Marathon got hit really bad and I'm sure it's going to be bad news. My weeks are in March. I will be billed and expected to pay even if I'm unable to use the units. Heck, it's a small resort and may no longer be standing.

I also owned at a resort in coastal NC. Some of the buildings were condemned due to structural issues by the County (not due to storm/hurricane damage). Uninhabitable. Yep, owners were still expected to pay the maintenance fees though the units were unusable by owners for some time.

It's disheartening, to say the least.

I also paid in full for a trip to St. Martin in February. The island is devastated.

I fully expect I'm out the money spent for airfares and accommodations.

However, I haven't had to experience what others have lost from these recent hurricanes. For that, I am very thankful. I'm looking on the "bright side".

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
You own a piece of the property, even if it's just a week. There are still expenses to pay, taxes, ground upkeep, electricity, staff, etc., until the units are ready to occupy again.
Sure, if I own a piece of property that I cannot occupy and that I trusted a management company to maintain for me and they are not holding their end of the bargain (I am talking about quick repairs), I am paying a MF for what? I am just playing advocatus diaboli here. But seriously, if the week is not able to be occupied why do you pay the MFs. You will end up paying Special Aasessments and I get that. The items you mentioned are not necessary for a construction site, IMO...but I am probably just taking the standpoint of someone who may not get to use 3 weeks and still be stuck with a $9.6K MF bill.:mad:

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As stated, you will still be expected to pay the maintenance fees for the reasons given.

I own two weeks in Marathon in the Florida Keys. I haven't bothered to check on the resort. Marathon got hit really bad and I'm sure it's going to be bad news. My weeks are in March. I will be billed and expected to pay even if I'm unable to use the units. Heck, it's a small resort and may no longer be standing.

I also owned at a resort in coastal NC. Some of the buildings were condemned due to structural issues by the County (not due to storm/hurricane damage). Uninhabitable. Yep, owners were still expected to pay the maintenance fees though the units were unusable by owners for some time.

It's disheartening, to say the least.

I also paid in full for a trip to St. Martin in February. The island is devastated.

I fully expect I'm out the money spent for airfares and accommodations.

However, I haven't had to experience what others have lost from these recent hurricanes. For that, I am very thankful. I'm looking on the "bright side".
I agree on being thankful. I have 10 timeshares in Florida, all in the areas hit most. Florida I consider my second home and I am sad thinking about the damage and cost to the timeshares I own but that sadness is nothing compared to the sadness I have thinking of everyone that has a primary residence in Florida. The loss and destruction my fellow Americans are now experiencing is unimaginable, yet real.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Helios,
Property taxes, water & sewer fees, electric, insurance property & liability, security costs, maintenance plus repairs.

When you go on vacation, doesn't your home, car, utilities, cabletv, insurance, etc still go on.

If you aren't working, you still have medical bills, housing costs, car repairs & loans & insurance.

Your timeshare is NOT A RENTED vacation ... which you pay for ONLY when you decide to use it.
Understood, but I don't think we are talking apples to apples here. The MF has to be paid regardless I use the unit or not when it is my choice not use it (for whatever reason). In this case, it is not my choice not to use it, it is completely out of my control.

Anyways, we'll be talking in circles here. At the end of the day the resort will have the final say and we all have to leave with it.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree on being thankful. I have 10 timeshares in Florida, all in the areas hit most. Florida I consider my second home and I am sad thinking about the damage and cost to the timeshares I own but that sadness is nothing compared to the sadness I have thinking of everyone that has a primary residence in Florida. The loss and destruction my fellow Americans are now experiencing is unimaginable, yet real.
Now, this is the real issue here...So sad to realize the loss of life and damages that all the affected who lived it are suffering.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sure, if I own a piece of property that I cannot occupy and that I trusted a management company to maintain for me and they are not holding their end of the bargain (I am talking about quick repairs), I am paying a MF for what? I am just playing advocatus diaboli here. But seriously, if the week is not able to be occupied why do you pay the MFs. You will end up paying Special Aasessments and I get that. The items you mentioned are not necessary for a construction site, IMO...but I am probably just taking the standpoint of someone who may not get to use 3 weeks and still be stuck with a $9.6K MF bill.:mad:
The reality is, unfortunately when you buy a timeshare you are considered an owner and are responsible for the continued maintenance of a property. A construction site is only if it's a complete tear down. Many structures will survive and need to be gutted and redone and it is the associations obligation to maintain the property and pay the expenses that insurance doesn't. Taxes and insurance still need to be paid too.

I feel your pain . I own 10 timeshares in the areas affected most, keys, Marco island, longboat, etc. I always knew the risk. It will still be cheaper to pay the maintenance and assessments while they are being restored then if I actually owned a home. Plus I don't have the headache of hiring and supervising contractors, the management co/association board does.