• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI to acquire DAE....

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not good, it was a nice alternative

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Too bad. More consolidation is not an improvement.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am now surprised this is how you eliminate exchange competition.

BEV

TUG Member
Reaction score
what about SFX ??? I would like to know if they will cause I utilize them SFX --to restore expired banked weeks at resorts I own outright.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
We have TUG, which we can use free, but not much action over there.

DAE didn't have much that I wanted. I looked occasionally over the years, but nothing really appealed to me.

II bought Trading Places as well and now manages Vistana (hate that name) and Hyatt. It's a strange relationship.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
wow, thats certainly the news of the week!

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
Haven't used DAE but I'm sorry to see any loss of competition. RCI's fees are just getting too high to make them valuable to me any more and generally II has more of what I'm looking for.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
One of the timeshares I own use Dae and RCI. The board is in the process of deciding whether to be part of II. I think this will make them decide yes.

I also do not like that there is now less competition out there.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Very upsetting. I have used DAE. I also use Trading Places. I am a member of RTX and Platinum Interchange as well. If they all get gobbled up, ugh...I hope they continue to have the free memberships and low exchange fees and some reasonable inventory. But not holding my breath. Good thing we like using our fixed deeded weeks at our home resorts and only exchange occasionally.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it has less to do with DAE being a competitor (because, really, they weren't even in the same ballpark,) and more to do with the software company. Read the presser carefully---as we know, WYN just showed the world how piss-poor their software development department is. The "@Work" company develops not just exchange software, but *inventory management software.* And if there is one thing that's been a thorn in the side of WYN lately is technology-based inventory management. It's pretty clever, really. Have RCI purchase a "competitor," and no one will even mention that maybe WYN went looking for a technology solution to cover their colossal shortcomings in that area.

Just my two cents...

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
.....as we know, WYN just showed the world how piss-poor their software development department is. ......maybe WYN went looking for a technology solution to cover their colossal shortcomings in that area.

Just my two cents...

I couldn't agree more. It's ridiculous how bad it is. :doh:

JuliGee

Reaction score
I think it has less to do with DAE being a competitor (because, really, they weren't even in the same ballpark,) and more to do with the software company. Read the presser carefully---as we know, WYN just showed the world how piss-poor their software development department is. The "@Work" company develops not just exchange software, but *inventory management software.* And if there is one thing that's been a thorn in the side of WYN lately is technology-based inventory management. It's pretty clever, really. Have RCI purchase a "competitor," and no one will even mention that maybe WYN went looking for a technology solution to cover their colossal shortcomings in that area.

Just my two cents...

One of our neighbors daughters works in the executive offices of a major player in the timeshare industry, and after listening to what she had to say today, I think you hit it right on the nail!!
Everything you mentioned, was also what she was saying. DAE certainly is not a competitor of RCI in the exchange world, and I would guess that most of DAE's members are dissatisfied RCI members, and WYN has had major issues with their technology platforms for quite a while now. Clever play (distraction)?

Juli

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Terrible news! Now the world's largest entity engaging in gouging timeshare owners will be able to expand their scope. I agree with those who posted above. Many of the DAE users are refugees from RCI. They are tired or paying a membership fee for just belonging to RCi (DAE didn't need one), tired of paying for Guest Certificates (as if it mattered that you gave your entitlement to someone else), tired of paying fees to transfer your points and tired of unjustified cost increases for exchanges and a myriad of other rip offs. With the exception of drug manufacturers who jack up their prices "because they can" RCi is the biggest abusers of the consumer. And for those who want to say it is just Capitalism, it isn't. Adam Smith never envisioned that the invisible hand would work without a social conscience.

What seems to be lost in all these fees is the preponderance of the inventory that RCI has, was given to them for free by timeshare owners. There is a reasons why RCI has been sued several times by timeshare owners and consumer groups.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It seems that none of the smaller exchange companies are doing particularly well, let alone having any meaningful impact in timeshare exchanging business. Sad...!

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We haven't played the "exchange game" for years; we grew tired of (i.e., disgusted with) RCI. I don't claim to know (or care much about) the underlying motivations, but I cannot envision that it will be in any way positive for "exchangers" for independent DAE to be swallowed whole by Wyndham / RCI.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
The biggest change will probably be an increase in fees from DAE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
We haven't played the "exchange game" for years; we grew tired of (i.e., disgusted with) RCI. I don't claim to know (or care much about) the underlying motivations, but I cannot envision that it will be in any way positive for "exchangers" for independent DAE to be swallowed whole by Wyndham / RCI.

Any time Wyndham is involved I'm pretty sure there won't be any benefits for the consumer.

taffy19

Reaction score
Any time Wyndham is involved I'm pretty sure there won't be any benefits for the consumer.
I believe that you are right. Really sad. RCI was a wonderful exchange company when it was a private company but once it gets gobbled up by a public corporation, the customers become in second place and you can take it or leave it. Their loyalty is not to you who made the company great in the first place.

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe that you are right. Really sad. RCI was a wonderful exchange company when it was a private company but once it gets gobbled up by a public corporation, the customers become in second place and you can take it or leave it. Their loyalty is not to you who made the company great in the first place.

This is so sad, but very true. When we bought our first timeshare, back in 1992, RCI was a great company to deal with. Rates were reasonable, surplus inventory was offered at huge discounts, and we always felt that we were a part of a well-run, well-organized and ethical company. How things change!

Dori

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is so sad, but very true. When we bought our first timeshare, back in 1992, RCI was a great company to deal with. Rates were reasonable, surplus inventory was offered at huge discounts, and we always felt that we were a part of a well-run, well-organized and ethical company. How things change!

Dori
Ditto & Ditto. I can remember paying $39 & $49 for a week to make an exchange thru RCI.