• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Timeshare Beach on Maui

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Can anyone tell me which timeshare resort(s) have the nicest beach on Maui? I've only ever stayed in hotels there in the Wailea area so I'm unfamiliar with which timeshare resorts are located on the nicer beaches. I need the information for trip planning. Thanks!

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
That's a good question but I bet season plays a bit of a role. And also, what qualifies as 'best' for you - calm waves you can snorkel safely with a child? Or super soft sand or fantastic view or great surfing or what?

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have only stayed at WKORV- the beach there is amazing. Taking all things into consideration, I'm hearing the new Hyatt is near the top of the list of all Maui resorts..

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
+1 for the new Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach resort's beach. Direct access, beautiful beach with a direct view of Lanai and Molokai right in front of you.
53439928.jpg

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Almost all of the Maui resorts are on Ka'anapali and Kihei beach. Ka'anapali is more resorty and Kihei is more local and less expensive.

Both areas are great beaches, so a bigger consideration is resorty or local, and your price range. How will you be making your reservation? Trading, or renting, or?

The Hyatt is fantastic - it's also the most expensive option with 2 bedrooms going for $4,500 - $6,500.

Last edited:

beachlynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn't the beach in front of the Hyatt a lot smaller and rockier on the one side than in front of the Westins? Also, I would say it would be hard to beat the snorkeling in front of the Westin Timeshares. It is always a joy to put my head under the water and see the beautiful world under there.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
What about the beaches in front of the Marriott, either in front of the Lahaina Villas, the main building, or the Napili Villas? How do they compare with the Hyatt?

skjayhawk

Reaction score
+1 WKORV. Great snorkeling right off the beach and a lot less crowded then Kaanapali Beach in front of MOC.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
+2 WKORV. Great snorkeling right off the beach and a lot less crowded then Kaanapali Beach in front of MOC.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
FYI, if you are looking to exchange in, the hotel-branded resorts are going to be a much more difficult exchange if you don't own one of their resorts, because they all have an internal exchange program that you will be competing with.

If you've stayed in Wailea, you should understand that Wailea is the Beverly Hills of Maui; you are not going to find that "luxury" feeling in either Kihei or Ka'anapali. Kihei is the most affordable area in West or South Maui, so if you're used to Wailea, it might be quite a culture shock for you. Kihei reminds me of Myrtle Beach or Destin, FL. You won't be seeing any celebrities staying in Kihei, but if you want to get a cup of coffee, it's not going to cost you $10 either. The beaches along this stretch are universally nice, though getting into the water can vary from easy to difficult based on the lava rocks. Kihei is probably the best location if you plan on exploring Maui. It's certainly the most centrally located.

IMO, Ka'anapali is a step up from Kihei and a step down from Wailea, in terms of "luxury" and price. It's more like a nice suburb on a beautiful beach. Most of the Ka'anapali timeshares are right on the beach, whereas most Kihei timeshares are across the street from the beach. While the hotel branded resorts will be a difficult exchange, non-branded resorts will be much easier IME.

I'd personally rank the beaches in this order: Ka'anapali, Wailea, then Kihei. I also found Wailea to be much windier than the other two resort areas.

Another area to consider is Napili. It's farther north than Ka'anapali, so definitely farther off the beaten path, but I'd personally stay there over Kihei.

beachlynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI, if you are looking to exchange in, the hotel-branded resorts are going to be a much more difficult exchange if you don't own one of their resorts, because they all have an internal exchange program that you will be competing with.

If you've stayed in Wailea, you should understand that Wailea is the Beverly Hills of Maui; you are not going to find that "luxury" feeling in either Kihei or Ka'anapali. Kihei is the most affordable area in West or South Maui, so if you're used to Wailea, it might be quite a culture shock for you. Kihei reminds me of Myrtle Beach or Destin, FL. You won't be seeing any celebrities staying in Kihei, but if you want to get a cup of coffee, it's not going to cost you $10 either. The beaches along this stretch are universally nice, though getting into the water can vary from easy to difficult based on the lava rocks. Kihei is probably the best location if you plan on exploring Maui. It's certainly the most centrally located.

IMO, Ka'anapali is a step up from Kihei and a step down from Wailea, in terms of "luxury" and price. It's more like a nice suburb on a beautiful beach. Most of the Ka'anapali timeshares are right on the beach, whereas most Kihei timeshares are across the street from the beach. While the hotel branded resorts will be a difficult exchange, non-branded resorts will be much easier IME.

I'd personally rank the beaches in this order: Ka'anapali, Wailea, then Kihei. I also found Wailea to be much windier than the other two resort areas.

Another area to consider is Napili. It's farther north than Ka'anapali, so definitely farther off the beaten path, but I'd personally stay there over Kihei.

Lisa,
That is a really accurate breakdown. I like Napili for the snorkeling but the beach is pretty narrow and when the tide is up there is not much beach. But boy, building up an appetite snorkeling and then eating at the Sea House restaurant is a great way to spend some time. Good food and great drinks at a reasonable price.

taffy19

Reaction score
What about the beaches in front of the Marriott, either in front of the Lahaina Villas, the main building, or the Napili Villas? How do they compare with the Hyatt?
It depends what time of the year you go. During March and April, when we are there, the beach is the widest in front of the Marriott's Napili tower. It gets narrower in front of the Lahaina tower and there is even less beach in front of the HRC Ka'anapali and the adjacent Hyatt Regency Resort where they have permanent sandbags against further erosion or they will lose their beach path at one section in front of the hotel.

From the pictures that I have seen posted, the sand seems to move closer to Black Rock in the summer so they must have the widest beach over there and also in front of the Westin timeshare resorts.

All beaches have eroded a lot in the last few years and many trees were lost. I saw the same in front of the Westin too last year with fallen trees on the beach and in front of our resort in Kihei even worse with many trees down but most were removed when we came back this year.

In front of the Westin timeshare resorts in March 2016.

i-wk9Vnzj-L.jpg

i-3Pz7kC8-L.jpg

i-jWBPMB6-L.jpg

There were sandbags already in Kihei in April 15 but this year, this was the end of the beach. There wasn't one day that I could walk past the sand bags because the ocean water was pounding against them. They must be made of cement. We used to be able to walk to as far as you can see. There was a seawall of lava rocks at that point so you couldn't go around the corner.

i-DggC8PZ-L.jpg

Kihei 2016. We had never seen so many trees down but they were removed this year.

i-Xm7RrsP-L.jpg

April 2015 from the Marriott's Molokai tower next to the Napili tower. Lots of grass and beach during spring break.

i-2C2dtS2-L.jpg

i-mtPGNT9-L.jpg

April 2009 when the Marriott's Napili tower was still in construction. Where has time gone?

Beach in front of the Hyatt Regency Resort but in the summer, there may be none.

We also like Wailea the best and there are nice beaches and coves but they have voted against having timeshares there unless they change their mind. It would make traffic even worse on the coastal road and also in Kihei.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
As much as I love my Marriott, the beach in front of Maui Ocean Club (and the Hyatt for that matter) isn't that great. It's very rocky and the beach in front of the Westin Kaanapali is much better. If we are beach-going, we will walk north in front of the Kaanapali Alii or Blackrock.

With respect to Kihei, I do love Kamaole Beach I, which is right across the street from Worldmark. As others have noted, it's much windier in South Maui, particularly in the afternoon when the trades kick in.

But I'd still take any of those beaches over a keyboard!!

Best,

Greg

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella

Amen to that! And the worst beach on Maui is probably better than most beaches you'll find anywhere. Hawaii truly is a magical place.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
This is our favorite beach on Maui. Never crowded, always wonderful. But it's not near a timeshare.

17311038_10211029685412132_5394931933723423610_o.jpg

17492586_10211029681652038_8611902555212492301_o.jpg

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
In late February and early March 2017, Marriott Lahaina Villas had some beach, and Napili Villas had lots of beach. Walk towards Black Rock and at the Westin, the beach sand goes all the way out until the water is over your head. It is one of those fingers of sand that go out from the shore. The Hyatt has one or two. Of course close to Black Rock there was plenty of sand.

taffy19

Reaction score
As much as I love my Marriott, the beach in front of Maui Ocean Club (and the Hyatt for that matter) isn't that great. It's very rocky and the beach in front of the Westin Kaanapali is much better. If we are beach-going, we will walk north in front of the Kaanapali Alii or Blackrock.

With respect to Kihei, I do love Kamaole Beach I, which is right across the street from Worldmark. As others have noted, it's much windier in South Maui, particularly in the afternoon when the trades kick in.

Best,

Greg
Greg, I have never seen rocks on the beach between the MOC and Black Rock. Do you see them in June or are they in the ocean?

We have only been snorkeling at Black Rock because we preferred other places but had to drive to get there.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Winter snorkling in front of MOC is actually pretty good, just a bit tricky to get in and out. I usually enter between the obvious reef line and where the boarders are working the waves in front of Napili.

Go out a bit to deeper water then just work your way back towards the Hyatt, staying in whatever depth you're comfortable with and off the reef. Lots of small lava canyons with turtles and other cool stuff. Definitely different than the wide open experience at Black Rock or around the point at Black Rock.

With a shorty wetsuit and a decent tide above the reef you can pretty much float up close to the beach to get out, but need to be body aware that close to lava reef.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Makena beach which is south of Wailea is my favorite by far on Maui, but there is no accommodation on the beach:
makena.jpg

Among beaches with timeshares, I would not stay in Kihei: you need to cross the road to get to the beach and the area does not look nice. The Westin timeshares north of the rock have a good beach, but it can be rough if windy. I would personally choose to stay at the Marriott south of the rock. Yes, the beach is rocky directly in front of Marriott, but it has fantastic snorkeling, and you could walk a short distance north towards the black rock where the beach is sandy. Plus, I like the area around the Whalers village a lot more than the area around Westin timeshares where you are mostly confined to the resort with much less to do.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
makena.jpg

Among beaches with timeshares, I would not stay in Kihei: you need to cross the road to get to the beach and the area does not look nice.
We own in Kihei, but don't use the beaches there. We drive to get to our favorite beach. Not a hardship at all.

taffy19

Reaction score
We used to like Ulua Beach for snorkeling or diving. My husband took diving lessons here but parking was often difficult and at some other snorkeling places too that were close to there.

We once parked on the road on our way to Peruse Bay and left all our valuables in the trunk of our car that were stolen so from then on we never took anything of value with us anymore so I do not have any pictures of our favorite snorkeling beach. I thought I did because we have been there so many times before they took things out of car.

I found the beach that you like so much, Luanne and have several pictures of it in a very old album here.

i-bmtZr7P-XL.jpg

taffy19

Reaction score
Makena beach which is south of Wailea is my favorite by far on Maui, but there is no accommodation on the beach:
makena.jpg

Among beaches with timeshares, I would not stay in Kihei: you need to cross the road to get to the beach and the area does not look nice. The Westin timeshares north of the rock have a good beach, but it can be rough if windy. I would personally choose to stay at the Marriott south of the rock. Yes, the beach is rocky directly in front of Marriott, but it has fantastic snorkeling, and you could walk a short distance north towards the black rock where the beach is sandy. Plus, I like the area around the Whalers village a lot more than the area around Westin timeshares where you are mostly confined to the resort with much less to do.
That beach is beautiful but can be very treacherous too. When my husband was in intensive care at the hospital, there was a lady who broke her neck in less than a foot of water because a forceful wave threw her down. She was completely paralyzed and could only communicate with open and closing her eyelids to respond. We have seen some very forceful waves at Ka'anapali beach also.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
By the way, did anyone read this story today?
Thanks for posting that, I hadn't read it yet. I thought they were already closed. When we were there in March we did notice that the beach lounge chairs were still there and just thought maybe they had been left. But, if the hotel was still operating now it makes more sense. I hope the building that is planned isn't going to ruin that beach. We've been going there since before the Maui Prince was built.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
That's a good question but I bet season plays a bit of a role. And also, what qualifies as 'best' for you - calm waves you can snorkel safely with a child? Or super soft sand or fantastic view or great surfing or what?

The best beach(es) for swimming, snorkeling and sunbathing -- that would be our interests.