• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone exchanged via II into a 2 bdrm. this summer at Ko'Olina or on Maui?

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems like the exchange landscape is in a constant state of change. We've been able to exchange into a 1-bdrm. unit at Ko'Olina very easily for the past two years, probably because there are so many more units at Ko'Olina vs. Maui. Next year, I'm considering trying for a 2-bdrm. unit at Ko'Olina or Maui for the summer of 2019. Has anyone successfully exchanged into a 2 bdrm. unit at Ko'Olina or on Maui via II this summer? If yes, when did you make your deposit, or place your OGS? TIA for your thoughts! CJ

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We rented from a TUG owner, we had a 2 bedroom unit

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems like the exchange landscape is in a constant state of change. We've been able to exchange into a 1-bdrm. unit at Ko'Olina very easily for the past two years, probably because there are so many more units at Ko'Olina vs. Maui. Next year, I'm considering trying for a 2-bdrm. unit at Ko'Olina or Maui for the summer of 2019. Has anyone successfully exchanged into a 2 bdrm. unit at Ko'Olina or on Maui via II this summer? If yes, when did you make your deposit, or place your OGS? TIA for your thoughts! CJ
I have exchange requests in for Maui, Ko Olina and Kauai (Waiohai). I had a 2 BR, 1 BR and studio deposit for 2017 and for 2018. ALL of them were attached to requests for the 3 islands mentioned. I have not yet matched for any 2 BR but have matched to a studio and 1 BR for Maui and a studio and 1 BR for Ko Olina. I have removed Maui from the requests for the 2 BR going forward because I don't need more volume there. I only have 2 BR requests remaining, we'll see what happens.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I have gotten1br matches for 3 weeks in july and 2 weeks in august. Got 2 br matches from end of august to mid october. I mainly look for 1br as that is all we need but if a 2br shows up i will take it if no 1br is available for the same date. The only ogs i had was for the labor day week. The other weeks were sitting in open inventory. Got the weeks from 2 months to 8 months ago. The labor day week was matched the longest out at about 10 months ago.
Cant say the patter is the same every year. Last year i got exchanges a little closer at about 3 or 4 months out. This year it was a little earlier to get the summer matches.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for sharing your experiences and strategies. Dean, it's encouraging that you received matches for your studio and a 1 bdrm. both on Maui and Oahu, but I'm also surprised that frank808 was able to book several of his weeks from the open inventory. Frank, you must be very diligent in searching early in the day, or should I say, "night" (?) for the open inventory. I haven't been as lucky in seeing the kind of availability that you have. I guess I don't search early enough in the day!

I may need to reconsider putting in a search for the 2-bdrm. units, since 1 bdrm. units seem to be more readily available for the summer of 2019. Thanks, again, everyone! CJ

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I got an exchange into a 2BR at MOC for early August. I placed the request in September/October and got the match about a week later.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I have gotten1br matches for 3 weeks in july and 2 weeks in august. Got 2 br matches from end of august to mid october. I mainly look for 1br as that is all we need but if a 2br shows up i will take it if no 1br is available for the same date. The only ogs i had was for the labor day week. The other weeks were sitting in open inventory. Got the weeks from 2 months to 8 months ago. The labor day week was matched the longest out at about 10 months ago.
Cant say the patter is the same every year. Last year i got exchanges a little closer at about 3 or 4 months out. This year it was a little earlier to get the summer matches.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Frank,

You are definitely the Subject Matter Expert on Ko Olina trading. How far in advance do your exchanges typically match and are you trading only 1BRs or do you trade Studio's too?

I would think that a 1BR for 1BR matches more quickly than an uptrade, is that correct?

Thanks very much!

Greg

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got an exchange into a 2BR at MOC for early August. I placed the request in September/October and got the match about a week later.
NboroGirl,
What a great exchange! Here, I thought that it would be impossible to get matched to a 2 BR on Maui! Now I really have some decisions to make, but at least I have until June of 2018 to decide. As others have said, "First world problem". CJ

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for sharing your experiences and strategies. Dean, it's encouraging that you received matches for your studio and a 1 bdrm. both on Maui and Oahu, but I'm also surprised that frank808 was able to book several of his weeks from the open inventory. Frank, you must be very diligent in searching early in the day, or should I say, "night" (?) for the open inventory. I haven't been as lucky in seeing the kind of availability that you have. I guess I don't search early enough in the day!

I may need to reconsider putting in a search for the 2-bdrm. units, since 1 bdrm. units seem to be more readily available for the summer of 2019. Thanks, again, everyone! CJ
I think there's a big difference between July and late August to mid December in terms of the likelihood of success but if you're proactive and early enough out, it will help. Having deposits and searches on board 14 months out likely made a difference because 3 or the 4 matches I got were in advance of 12 months out though one just barely. I'll let you know how the 2 BR searches go since all I have on them is the 2 resorts in HI next July and 3 Caribbean resorts (Aruba Surf Club, St.Kitt's and St. Thomas) Winter 2019.

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think there's a big difference between July and late August to mid December in terms of the likelihood of success but if you're proactive and early enough out, it will help. Having deposits and searches on board 14 months out likely made a difference because 3 or the 4 matches I got were in advance of 12 months out though one just barely. I'll let you know how the 2 BR searches go since all I have on them is the 2 resorts in HI next July and 3 Caribbean resorts (Aruba Surf Club, St.Kitt's and St. Thomas) Winter 2019.

Dean,
Thanks for the valuable tips. Perhaps I should aim for an exchange for the summer of 2020, instead of 2019. Part of my problem, is that I am trading our Grand Chateau, and the highest TDI is week 24. So I wait until the middle of June to make a reservation which I then deposit immediately. Since we're looking for a late June through July stay on Maui or Oahu, I'm not as early as you are in making the deposit and OGS. However, next year if I make a request for 2020, my chances would be better than if I ask for 2019. I'll be very interested in hearing how your searches go. Thanks! CJ

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Trade both 1br and studios. I get matches anywhere from 12 months out to couple weeks before.

The busier times like summer matches come later and the shoulder season like sept through early dec matches come much ealier at about 5 months to a year out.

Yes, I see more units earlier with the 1br than the studios. Might see a unit earlier with a 1br then maybe a month later see the same weeks with a studio.

Greg as you know for me its if i get a unit great, if not I'll just stay home. Though trading in has been good for me the past few years. Only hard part i have is weeks 51 and 52 as they are event weeks. I just goto aulani then or get an hgvc unit in waikiki.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I have two trade requests pending with II for Marriott KoOlina (using my Marriott Grande Vista studio and one bedroom) for a December 14, 15 or 16th, 2018 check in. This is an interesting thread.

rickxylon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aruba Ocean Club
Aruba Surf Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Phuket Beach Club
I've had an OGS since January for any Hawaii MVCI 2BR for the last week of Feb 2018 using platinum 2BR Phuket Marriott and when checking daily I still never see anything in early 2018 for anywhere in Hawaii for any property from any company. Is this unusual?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
and the shoulder season like sept through early dec matches come much ealier at about 5 months to a year out.
This was our experience, we got a match for early December 2017 at about 11 months out.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have two trade requests pending with II for Marriott KoOlina (using my Marriott Grande Vista studio and one bedroom) for a December 14, 15 or 16th, 2018 check in. This is an interesting thread.
What size room are you looking for? I got a 1br for dec 16 2017 about 12 months before check in using 1br marriott week.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've had an OGS since January for any Hawaii MVCI 2BR for the last week of Feb 2018 using platinum 2BR Phuket Marriott and when checking daily I still never see anything in early 2018 for anywhere in Hawaii for any property from any company. Is this unusual?
I have not gotten any 2018 weeks yet. For jan 2017 i got matches in oct of 2016. I cant tell you about feb as we were not in hawaii for feb and march the past couple years.

Have patience as it should match for 1br. I do not have as much experience looking for 2br units so am not totally sure for a 2br unit.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Its pretty early to expect a match almost 18 months before. That being said, you'll match this request as early December is an easy Marriott trade into Ko Olina.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dean,
Thanks for the valuable tips. Perhaps I should aim for an exchange for the summer of 2020, instead of 2019. Part of my problem, is that I am trading our Grand Chateau, and the highest TDI is week 24. So I wait until the middle of June to make a reservation which I then deposit immediately. Since we're looking for a late June through July stay on Maui or Oahu, I'm not as early as you are in making the deposit and OGS. However, next year if I make a request for 2020, my chances would be better than if I ask for 2019. I'll be very interested in hearing how your searches go. Thanks! CJ
Obviously you have some decisions to make including which year, lockoff and try for a separate studio and 1 BR and which week to get for Grand Chateau. I'll admit to limited knowledge on trading Grand Chateau but looking at the TDI and knowing that the easiest red time trades in the US tend to be LV, Williamsburg, Branson (my deposit) and Orlando; I doubt a minor difference in TDI will make much difference in success and the extra time may outweigh a minor TDI difference. Your chances of success will be better for the separate components but you might end up with a 1 BR Sat Mountain View and a studio Sunday Ocean side for example. As for which year, it sounds like you could do either with some flexibility. My inclination is to look at the 2018 week that would work best for 2020 if you don't match otherwise so you have options OR a week that works best to try for 2018 and 2019. As you've posted, I'd consider week 22 or 23 for 2018 and both deposit and put in your search ASAP giving you the option of both years potentially. I wouldn't blow off 2019, even if you wait for the week 24, you'll still be at or ahead of 12 months. Couldn't you also lockoff and do week 23 studio and 24 1BR splitting the difference if you feel doing separate is a good choice anyway.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
What size room are you looking for? I got a 1br for dec 16 2017 about 12 months before check in using 1br marriott week.

A one bedroom and studio. I put Eplus on both requests just in case something larger comes up last minute, though.

rickxylon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aruba Ocean Club
Aruba Surf Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Phuket Beach Club
I have not gotten any 2018 weeks yet. For jan 2017 i got matches in oct of 2016. I cant tell you about feb as we were not in hawaii for feb and march the past couple years.

Have patience as it should match for 1br. I do not have as much experience looking for 2br units so am not totally sure for a 2br unit.

The interesting/unusual thing is that even studios and 1BR do not show up beyond December 2017.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The interesting/unusual thing is that even studios and 1BR do not show up beyond December 2017.
But some are being deposited as I matched 2 studios and two 1BR for July, 18 between Ko Olina and Maui.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
But some are being deposited as I matched 2 studios and two 1BR for July, 18 between Ko Olina and Maui.

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Obviously you have some decisions to make including which year, lockoff and try for a separate studio and 1 BR and which week to get for Grand Chateau. I'll admit to limited knowledge on trading Grand Chateau but looking at the TDI and knowing that the easiest red time trades in the US tend to be LV, Williamsburg, Branson (my deposit) and Orlando; I doubt a minor difference in TDI will make much difference in success and the extra time may outweigh a minor TDI difference. Your chances of success will be better for the separate components but you might end up with a 1 BR Sat Mountain View and a studio Sunday Ocean side for example. As for which year, it sounds like you could do either with some flexibility. My inclination is to look at the 2018 week that would work best for 2020 if you don't match otherwise so you have options OR a week that works best to try for 2018 and 2019. As you've posted, I'd consider week 22 or 23 for 2018 and both deposit and put in your search ASAP giving you the option of both years potentially. I wouldn't blow off 2019, even if you wait for the week 24, you'll still be at or ahead of 12 months. Couldn't you also lockoff and do week 23 studio and 24 1BR splitting the difference if you feel doing separate is a good choice anyway.
I like your optimistic strategy. Looking at the TDIs for the weeks before week 24, the difference is only 5. So next year I'll reserve and deposit an earlier week, thereby requesting a 2 BR 14 months out for July of 2019. That way I'll have the option of moving the request to 2020, if 2019 doesn't pan out. Am making a memo to myself to let you know how that strategy works out! Thanks and happy travels to you and your family! CJ

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
While not a location with lockoff's, this morning I matched to Waiohai Beach Club Island View mid Summer week with a Willow Ridge 2BR Deposit. Now I can cancel a points reservation and kick that can down the road which is a good thing for me in this situation. So between 3 weeks and over 2 years, I've deposited 2 legends edge 2 BR, 2 WR 2BR and 2 WR 1BR/studio combo's. With those I've gotten a 4th of July Heritage, a studio & 1 BR at both Maui and Ko Olina and a 2 BR at Waiohai Beach Club leaving me just the two 2 BR deposits for 2018. Granted these were top weeks at WR but not the highest week.