• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vip status

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
With the way things work right now I would consider 1 million platinum points to be worth about 1,250,000 regular points+ $1400 in Guest Certificates+ $500 in Transaction and HK.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Absolutely true. My model assumes that is absolutely going to happen. Kind of like a climate change model....

Thats the question, isnt it? Can we still count on discounts and upgrades on all our reservations, under the new rules.

If you are right and the answer is yes, Id be surprised. If Im right and the answer is no, a VIP account isnt worth squat

Last edited:

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean walk daytona, Brandon at the falls, and great Smokies lodge
Very true and I'm counting on it to be right.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Very true and I'm counting on it to be right.

I can't imagine what makes you a "glass half full" person.

I don't see any way (and from off-line conversations, neither does Ron Parise) that it will be economical to acquire VIP benefits and Presidential Reserve benefits. The question for me and many others is, since we are already VIP/PresRes owners, is there a way to make it profitable, even if only marginally so. I don't think there is.

Concentrating on high-demand weeks is certainly a useful strategy. It may be possible to rent Mardi Gras, Daytona 500, Bike Week, NCAA or professional championship event weeks and make a couple bucks with no discount or upgrade. Since it is just my wife and me on our account, the limit for reservations is two per event, unless I make reservations with other names listed as guests, knowing it will cost me $99 down the line.

Our only hope is that Wyndham never figures out how to implement the auto-upgrade feature and gives up trying. Even then, experience with canceled reservations reappearing in inventory has not been promising so I don't see cancel/re-book/upgrade ever becoming what it was.

Personally, I'll probably try to stick it out through 2018 (since I'm already out of 2018 points) and make a decision about divesting most of my Wyndham ownership, keeping a couple million points for our own use and an occasional rental at or near cost.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Im taking a wait and see approach too.

When I started this thing it was right after the last round of anti renter rule changes. Conventional wisdom was that it was impossible to build a rental business. and yet there were a lot of us that figured it out

I think the same thing will happen now. Someone will figure it out.

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Or, buy someone's VIP ownership with terms (a contract) that they stay on as an 'owner' that gives you full control, ownership ad releases the original 'owner' from any liability. Add your name to the deeds or trust. You'll need a quit claim deed adding you to the deed if it's deeded and process it through Wyndham. Also have a quit claim deed prepared to remove the original 'owner' for when it's time to leave the program (sell). You may have to pay a little more to the owner to do it this way, but it may be worth it to all involved.
This is what I found interesting but need to know more about this. I have heard this is possible from others so I will continue to learn more.

JT1989

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Silverleaf
Wyndham
Hi Ron, I have seen your name everywhere on this forum and wanted to ask if you happen to know if I ended up having a platinum account (through developer purchases which I would join onto someone else's deeds) and then purchased resale onto that same account..will those points inherit the Platinum benefits (under the new system)?

Jenny

Last edited:

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
Hi Ron, I have seen your name everywhere on this forum and wanted to ask if you happen to know if I ended up having a platinum account (through developer purchases which I would join onto someone else's deeds) and then purchased resale onto that same account..will those points inherit the Platinum benefits (under the new system)?

Jenny
They will be treated to VIP status but will not inherit that status. So, for example, if you bought a million resale points and put it into a Platinum account they would enjoy the same benefits as the Platinum points, BUT if you sold the Platinum eligible points in the account the points you bought lose all VIP status.

JT1989

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Silverleaf
Wyndham
Thanks Cay, that is very helpful to know.

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Decided to stay with my Silver status until I find out what the "trust" does this year as no one has any idea of any split taking place. Enjoying cancel and rebook for now. I am told "Ovations" is my only out but am still unwilling to take it.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Decided to stay with my Silver status until I find out what the "trust" does this year as no one has any idea of any split taking place. Enjoying cancel and rebook for now. I am told "Ovations" is my only out but am still unwilling to take it.

For those people having problems with the Cancel Re-book process, can you share how you are making it work. Are your units that are being cancelled returning to inventory within 20 minutes or so?

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I checked for two br in Sept for the three days I had scheduled but found only two days available so I cancelled the three day lbr stay, requested auto upgrade a day early and found all complete the next day. I don't check to see when my cancellations return to inventory so I will start.