• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Young Child Died at Grandview

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
A 3 year old died at Grandview after being left in a hot car.

Grandview is a timeshare resort in Vegas, a TUG favorite for the low prices and good value.

Many tourists underestimate our Vegas heat. They simply don't realize how quickly it can kill.

Here is one news story:
http://news3lv.com/news/local/3-yea...ew-of-las-vegas-dies-of-heat-related-injuries

“After investigating this, at this time, it appears it's just a tragic accident,” said LVMPD Lt. Roger Price. “We have a very large family that came to town, and appears to maybe have lost track of one of the juveniles. And, unfortunately, by the time they found out what happened, too much time had already passed.”

Investigators say the temperature in the 4 p.m. hour was 114 degrees. The temperature in the car was likely 170 degrees.​

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Such a sad thing to happen. I hope the family gets as much peace as possible. :(

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Such a family disaster which will never go away ...

Younger brother died of crib death (SID) when I was 3 yo.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Very sad, but I am sorry I don't get it. Large family or not. How do you forget your 3 your old child for an hour?!:mad:

Reactions: Tia

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Very sad, but I am sorry I don't get it. Large family or not. How do you forget your 3 your old child for an hour?!:mad:

I think it could happen through miscommunication. For instance mom thought dad had the kid, dad thought aunt had the kid, aunt thought grandma had him etc.

Or through inexperience. Maybe an older child was supposed to babysit and just got caught up in excitement of vacation and forgot.

Or through ignorance: maybe they come form a climate where it's often safe in a car for an hour during Summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not difficult. Maybe he was asleep when they pulled in and they were going to wait until he woke up (an absolute no-no, but some people don't get that). Maybe they thought he got out on his own, and some people were outside and some inside, so they assumed someone else was watching him. Maybe he got back in the car after he had been out. Stuff certainly happens, right or wrong. I'm betting they all thought someone else was supervising him.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Watch the Home Alone movies and see how it's done.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think it could happen through miscommunication. For instance mom thought dad had the kid, dad thought aunt had the kid, aunt thought grandma had him etc.

Or through inexperience. Maybe an older child was supposed to babysit and just got caught up in excitement of vacation and forgot.

Or through ignorance: maybe they come form a climate where it's often safe in a car for an hour during Summer.

This all sounds plausible. But with as much as these types of accidents get publicized, you'd think people would be extremely careful. I would make absolutely sure I knew where my 3 year old was.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Beyond sad. No matter how or 'who' -- the last thing this family needs is to place blame. I'm sure during the interviews with police it was determined how the tragedy occurred.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
This reminds me of "Manchester by the Sea." Beyond sad.

Just today, I saw a dog in a closed-up truck at Lowes.
Fortunately, the owner walked past me and got in his truck before I reported it.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a very sad story for the family and a wake up call to all parents about leaving children in an automobile during the summer heat.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
As soon as you get out of the car you should be taking the baby out next.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
As soon as you get out of the car you should be taking the baby out next.

I have found the BEST way to NOT forget something in the car, is to get it out BEFORE grabbing your pocketbook. I feel undressed without that shoulder bag. Parents (actually everyone) is running on 125% almost all the time.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
More details emerged. The little boy's very large family is from Fillmore, a small town in Utah. I looked it up and the Summer average high there is in the 80s so indeed they are not used to hot climates. Also the town is tiny with a very low average income which suggest poverty honestly. And that goes hand in hand with poor education. I'm not excusing what they did, but these are possible explanations. It's just so tragic.

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting.

I didn't realize that this happens too many times each year:

The website noheatstroke.org reported Sunday that 21 children have died from vehicular heatstroke in 2017. Chase Lee’s death was one of two hot car child deaths the site listed for Saturday. It said 23-month-old Khayden Saint Sauver died in Delray Beach, Florida, where the temperature reached 84 degrees.

Hold on to Dear Life, a campaign of Intermountain Healthcare’s Primary Children’s Hospital, said 39 children died from vehicular heatstroke nationally in 2016, up from 31 in 2014 and 24 in 2015.

On average, the National Safety Council said, 37 children die nationwide in hot cars annually. Incidents peak between Memorial Day and Labor Day, the agency said, when two to three children die weekly nationwide.

The council cited data by Jan Null, of San Jose State University’s Department of Meteorology and Climate Science, that found that 87 percent of children who died in hot cars nationally were 3 or younger; 54 percent are forgotten in a vehicle; and 17 percent were intentionally left in a vehicle by an adult. Null is the researcher behind noheatstroke.org,

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
While it's heartbreaking for a family to lose a child to such a senseless way, many times the number of pets die in just the same way. Animals have some protection for a short time from their coat, but because they don't sweat, they can only pant to cool themselves. In a car in summer heat, the temp can quickly reach 60- to 70 or more degrees above the outside temp. So in the summer, leave Fido at home.

Here, our city fathers & mothers made it legal to break glass to release a hot pet from a locked car. Overkill? Possibly, but maybe the thought of a broken window will convince people to leave their companion home. I know it's hard. My little buddy really likes to go with me, and sulks if I tell him he's staying home, but it's for his own good.

Jim

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
This is a very sad story for the family and a wake up call to all parents about leaving children in an automobile during the summer heat.

They shouldn't be left alone in a car in any weather.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
More details emerged. The little boy's very large family is from Fillmore, a small town in Utah. I looked it up and the Summer average high there is in the 80s so indeed they are not used to hot climates. Also the town is tiny with a very low average income which suggest poverty honestly. And that goes hand in hand with poor education. I'm not excusing what they did, but these are possible explanations. It's just so tragic.

It averages in the 80's and they are not used to hot weather? 80 is hot OUTSIDE; the inside of a car is much hotter than the outside temperature.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I just picked up a couple of shelf groceries (in jars) before I went into the office this morning. It is about 80 degrees out and though they do not need refrigeration I still brought them inside the office to keep at my desk because the inside of the car gets very hot out in the parking lot.

If I had a child with me, you can bet I would be taking him/her in with me as well. But that's just me.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
They shouldn't be left alone in a car in any weather.
Yes. It was sunny and 85 yesterday. When we got back in the car, we measured the grey dashboard. It was 178 degrees! I would estimate the air in the car was over 120.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
While it's heartbreaking for a family to lose a child to such a senseless way, many times the number of pets die in just the same way. Animals have some protection for a short time from their coat, but because they don't sweat, they can only pant to cool themselves. In a car in summer heat, the temp can quickly reach 60- to 70 or more degrees above the outside temp. So in the summer, leave Fido at home.
Also, don't take dogs on hot hiking trails. Another dog died here in San Diego this week because of the heat on the trail. As a local hiker, I see signs at the beginning of all hikes warning about dogs overheating. Sadly, even though this family read the sign, they decided it wasn't too hot for their dog. http://www.10news.com/news/familys-dog-dies-while-hiking-cowles-mountain-blames-heat

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Tragic, and everyone thinks it couldn't happen to them. I feel sad for the family.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Two weeks ago we were in Vegas and the daytime temp was above 115. I saw a full set of expensive aluminum hard-sided luggage, plus a baby carriage sitting unattended in a loading zone in the SUN. The baby carriage had pillows in it so it was impossible to determine if an infant was in it or not. I initially walked past it and then did a quick "180". I lifted the pillows out and confirmed that there was no infant in the carriage. I realized that if someone was so stupid as to leave really high end (Zero-Halliburton?) cases and a nice baby carriage in the sun that they may have been stupid enough to also leave an infant. I'm really glad the baby carriage was not occupied. I'm glad I checked.