• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Los Cabos Open and Aventuras Program

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
This showed up in my inbox this afternoon. My thoughts are in the first reply.
Vistana.png

Dear Owner,

Last May, as a part of our planned merger with ILG, we shared that Vistana Signature Experiences retained five resort hotels from Starwood Hotels and Resorts LLC, with plans to add villa accommodations over time. Today we’re proud to announce the complete transformation of the first of these properties, The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa.

Located in Los Cabos— named one of the best places to visit in Mexico by U.S. News & World Report — the resort sits at the southern tip of Mexico’s Baja Peninsula on a stretch of white-sand beach surrounded by magnificent water views and dramatic desert landscapes.

The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa, an iconic landmark designed by renowned architect Javier Sordo Madaleno, has been fully renovated, including the conversion of 243 hotel rooms into 147 villas. Owners and Guests have a choice of studios, two-bedroom villas, two-bedroom premium villas, and luxury suites. They’ll be welcomed with modern kitchens, oceanfront balconies, washers and dryers, and the signature Westin Heavenly Bed and Bath. Additionally, the resort’s two-bedroom premium villas and two luxury suites both feature private balcony Jacuzzis.

This resort also combines Westin brand touches with the authentic appeal of this sought-after destination. Spa Otomí draws on the colorful artwork from the Otomí people of Central Mexico and spans more than 10,000 square feet. This expansive offering includes a WestinWORKOUT Fitness Studio, seven treatment rooms, a luxurious bathing suite, a spa boutique, and scenic relaxation lounge. Other resort amenities include multiple infinity-edge pools, lighted tennis courts, Westin Family Kids Club, pergola with ocean vistas for small wedding ceremonies, and beach volleyball.

Further enhancing the on-site experience, Guests have a choice of many dining options including Cocina Casera, serving regional and international cuisine, and the upscale, gourmet restaurant El Ciruelo. The resort also offers quick-service options at Mercadito and casual menus at both La Cantina Sports Bar and Coralline, located beachside. Cocktails and a lighter menu can be enjoyed oceanfront at Margaritas swim-up poolside bar. In addition, the resort provides a number of communal grilling areas, and experiences such as tequila tastings and live local music.

Nearby, two distinct towns within Los Cabos offer an abundance of authentic experiences for Guests. San José del Cabo is a friendly, laid-back town known for its exceptional diving, upscale restaurants, and magnificent beaches. Cabo San Lucas is a diverse destination with varied attractions including fishing, whale-watching, world-class golf, award-winning restaurants, and exciting nightlife.

To complement our growing presence in Mexico, we’re also pleased to introduce the Westin Aventuras program. This new offering provides you more choices to explore diverse cultures and experience more distinctive vacations throughout Mexico, while enjoying the same travel benefits of the Vistana Signature Network.

Owner occupancy for The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa is anticipated to begin in January 2018. Until then, you can access the resort through the SPG program.

We look forward to welcoming you to our resorts this year and continuing to provide you, your family and friends a better way to see the world. For more information on these new exciting opportunities, visit vistana.com. Additional information regarding the transition of the remaining four resort hotels — The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancún; The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta; Sheraton Kauai Resort; and Sheraton Steamboat Resort — will be shared as it becomes available.

Sincerely,
Steve-Williams.png

Stephen G. Williams
Chief Commercial Office

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
In looking at the pictures of the resort via Google, the kitchen layouts look like Nanea, with the table as a prep space and the appliances along the wall. It is a more efficient use of space. The hubby tried to book a week on the Dashboard and it looks like most, if not all, of the 2BR units will be listed as OF, needing 176,000 options to reserve. We'll probably trade into it sometime next year just to check it out. All I know about Cabo I learned from watching the Love Boat.

We heard about the Westin Aventuras program recently. It's the Mexico Westin equivalent of the Sheraton Flex program -- expensive home resort options able to be used across all the properties (Cancun, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta). Probably the worst value for options I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The 176,000 SOs isn't necessarily OF, that is the amount for a Premium 2BR unit. The standard 2BR is 148,100. All units have a ocean view.

The Father

Reaction score
I just got back. Visited Solaz, which is near Westin. Solaz is 100% OF and the Westin looks to be as well.

Both are horseshoe shaped. Each unit at Solaz had an enormous private, covered patio area on the inland side.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got back. Visited Solaz, which is near Westin. Solaz is 100% OF and the Westin looks to be as well.

Both are horseshoe shaped. Each unit at Solaz had an enormous private, covered patio area on the inland side.

As in our replies to your other thread, Solaz has nothing to do with Vistana. It is built by a Mexican developer.

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
In reading some of the reviews of the Westin that has been open to cash guests, it seems like they are not really ready to be open. Reviews cite several concerning issues such as elevators that don't work, staff that don't speak English, a very long walk from the road/public transportation, etc. Hopefully this will get turned around by January when they begin taking Staroption reservations. It is concerning to me as someone who pushes my son in a wheelchair, the step and elevator problem. We are used to accessible walkways around all the resorts we have visited in the past.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
The 176,000 SOs isn't necessarily OF, that is the amount for a Premium 2BR unit. The standard 2BR is 148,100. All units have a ocean view.
176,000 fits 8 and 148,100 just fits 6.
Anyone see pricing on Aventuras?

Kamehameha

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WPORV, SMV
176,000 fits 8 and 148,100 just fits 6.
Anyone see pricing on Aventuras?

I am at Lagunamar now and did the "Owner Update" yesterday. 148,100 Options in Adventura runs about $52,000. Maintenance fees were $1991 on that.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I am at Lagunamar now and did the "Owner Update" yesterday. 148,100 Options in Adventura runs about $52,000. Maintenance fees were $1991 on that.
Purchase price seems to be a little cheaper than the Platinum Plus 2BR 148.1K at Lagunamar. I recall people around the pool that went to presentations that it was about $60,000. Of course the Adventuras MF is way out there compared to the approximate $1300 fee for the same at Lagunamar.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Purchase price seems to be a little cheaper than the Platinum Plus 2BR 148.1K at Lagunamar. I recall people around the pool that went to presentations that it was about $60,000. Of course the Adventuras MF is way out there compared to the approximate $1300 fee for the same at Lagunamar.
I paid and then rescinded WLR a 2BR Platinum Plus Event Week (both available - WW 51 / 52) Every Year at 45K about 3-4 years ago.

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
I paid and then rescinded WLR a 2BR Platinum Plus Event Week (both available - WW 51 / 52) Every Year at 45K about 3-4 years ago.
Purchase price was $45,900 about a month ago. However since then, I am told that Desert Willow pricing has increased by $14,000, so Vistana must have used the opportunity to raise Lagunamar weeks in anticipation of the new Aventuras launch.

Markus

Luckytimer

Reaction score
In reading some of the reviews of the Westin that has been open to cash guests, it seems like they are not really ready to be open. Reviews cite several concerning issues such as elevators that don't work, staff that don't speak English, a very long walk from the road/public transportation, etc. Hopefully this will get turned around by January when they begin taking Staroption reservations. It is concerning to me as someone who pushes my son in a wheelchair, the step and elevator problem. We are used to accessible walkways around all the resorts we have visited in the past.
This is what the Westin Los Cabos site says about accessibility:
ACCESSIBILITY
This hotel is committed to making our facilities, amenities and services accessible to guests with disabilities.

ACCESSIBLE PUBLIC SPACES
  • Public entrance
  • Service animals welcome
  • Accessible route from public entrance to registration
  • Accessible route from public entrance to guest rooms
  • Accessible route from public entrance to restaurant
  • Accessible route from public entrance to meeting room/ballroom
  • Accessible route from public entrance to fitness center
  • Accessible route from public entrance to swimming pool
  • Accessible route from public entrance to business center
  • Registration desk
  • Restaurant
  • Valet parking
  • Self-parking area for cars
  • Self-parking area for vans
  • Fitness center
  • Business center
ACCESSIBLE GUEST ROOMS
  • Roll-in showers
  • Bathtubs with grab bars
  • Mobility-accessible doors with at least 32 inches of clear door width

Questions about the accessible facilities and services offered should be directed to the hotel at (52)(624) 142 9000.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
This hotel looks fantastic; except you can't swim on the beach. Undertow. So if you like pools, it's for you. Or if you live in LA (I used to go to Cabo from LA for long weekends).

Cabo is a great place, though.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras

I think the new Aventuras MF is very pricey compared to the weeks MF. It's just like Sheraton Flex. Before I found TUG I paid $40,000 for 148.1K fixed event week at Lagunamar. I can't say Aventura is cheaper at all.

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score
One note of "value" could be the ability with the Aventuras program to allow for event weeks such as New Years and Christmas without an additional upcharge I believe. Plus, additional properties could be added into the program as well. Anyone please clarify if this incorrect. We're considering a smaller purchase of this program with a resale trade in and requal at the same time.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
With the MF much higher and upfront higher, I'm sure the holiday weeks are already priced in.

vmoreno5

TUG Member
Reaction score
This doesn't make sense to me. I can use StarOptions for this resort for various dates in Sept & Oct 2017. The days I want (1st week of Oct) show no availability, YET, the 2 bdrm villa IS available for $250/nt through spg for my dates. Why would the desired dates have availability in spg, but not with Vistana, when they are apparently able to be booked with SO now? Any guesses? Frustrating...

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
This doesn't make sense to me. I can use StarOptions for this resort for various dates in Sept & Oct 2017. The days I want (1st week of Oct) show no availability, YET, the 2 bdrm villa IS available for $250/nt through spg for my dates. Why would the desired dates have availability in spg, but not with Vistana, when they are apparently able to be booked with SO now? Any guesses? Frustrating...
Right now, Vistana owns all the inventory, except perhaps a small percentage that they may have sold. They control the invetnory that gets released to VSN. They are allowed to rent out for cash any inventory that they own. That is what they are doing.

vmoreno5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks dioxide. I called and they did tell me VSN only owns "some" and the rest are owned by spg and they can't touch them. They said all the resorts are that way, I've just never run into this...where so many are avbl to pay for but not use SO for. I have all these SO that I can use, and can't. But I am able to pay $880 for the 3 days :) so there's that. I'm refreshing the screen over and over hoping for a canx...never know. Thanks again for the reply.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
Thanks dioxide. I called and they did tell me VSN only owns "some" and the rest are owned by spg and they can't touch them. They said all the resorts are that way, I've just never run into this...where so many are avbl to pay for but not use SO for. I have all these SO that I can use, and can't. But I am able to pay $880 for the 3 days :) so there's that. I'm refreshing the screen over and over hoping for a canx...never know. Thanks again for the reply.

This has happened in the past. Back in the recession before banking was allowed people would switch SO to SP more often. Besides WKOVN wasn't all sold. The hotel would have it to rent but it was not available to reserve for SO at WKOV/N. As an owner it's frustrating but it's different inventory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Great resort! We stayed there while it's Westin Regina. The architecture is stunning. View is to die for. Didn't really bother us that the beach was not swimmable. We were there during Thanksgiving and saw whales going by from our balcony frequently.