• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Going to cancel wyndham contract need help

Lesismore2017

Reaction score
I will be sending the cancellation letter tomorrow within the 5 day period per contract.

Im interested in buying resale points off ebay.

I know i need to make sure there are no past due balances, mfs, assessments, etc.

However, whats the deal with vip. The sales rep said if i go through ebay i wont get "vip benefits." but im still not clear on what "vip benefits" ill be missing out on? I just know it appears to make much more financial sense to buy resale.

Lastly, if anyone knows, if i do buy resale on ebay how do i become an rci member because i definitely want to go to rci resorts.

Thanks so much in advance.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You would NOT get VIP benefits even from buying with the sales rep UNLESS you spent close to $80,000 for the lowest level (Silver) up to $180,000 for Platinum.

RCI is set up via Owner Care ... which are decent people who are NOT wanting to sell you anything. Member/Owner Care (Wyndham's customer service) is NOT the sales group.

The sale's rep is just trying to get paid his commission ... they like to scare people into NOT getting/buying resale points.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
So, Wyndham point contracts are not as transparent as they might seem--especially for resale. As Linda pointed out, unless you're a high-dollar roller with plans of spending more money than a new Land Rover costs, you're probably not VIP material. Therefore, the argument that 'you can't get VIP from ebay' probably doesn't hold water in your case.

If you want VIP privileges without the VIP cost (club VIP, club access etc..), there are ways to achieve that as well.....or so it's purported. I certainly am not condoning or recommending this, just saying that it might be available--check for honest reviews.

If you really want to buy Wyndham points, study first and buy smart. There are many caveats based on purchase price vs MF cost, resort access, advanced reservation preference etc... There is a great deal of info here on the Wyndham FAQ, but you may wish to complete the survey and seek expert guidance from the Wyndham experts here on TUG after you determine what is right for your vacation needs.

Congrats on finding TUG and saving some real $$$$

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I will be sending the cancellation letter tomorrow within the 5 day period per contract.

I'm interested in buying resale points off ebay .....if i do buy resale on ebay how do i become an rci member because i definitely want to go to rci resorts.

I respectfully suggest getting your rescission letter signed, sealed and delivered (via USPS date stamped certified mail) within the applicable state law deadline before addressing anything else. If you snooze, you will lose. Cancel now, then do plenty of research. Buy (resale) later when you have established a more solid knowledge base about (among numerous other things) your geographic plans and preferences (comparing same to available Wyndham property locations), maintenance fee cost / points ratio, actual amount of points that you'll realistically need to get into the unit sizes and locations you seek , or to exchange, etc.

Wyndham owns RCI. If you buy into Wyndham, resale or otherwise, rest assured that RCI membership will come firmly attached (whether you want it or not). You will pay for that mandatory RCI membership in the form of "program fees" within your Wyndham maintenance fee bills. For now, just complete that rescission, start to finish. Nothing else in this matter has a firm and completely inflexible deadline that you must meet. First things first.

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Theo's right: this is a 'one time deal' so make sure you take care of the rescission/cancellation letter and follow the rules to the 'letter of the law.' Then you'll have plenty of time to casually research what is the best TS for you and how to purchase it.

I'll mention this: After you send your rescission letter, I'll be glad to explain to you why Worldmark might or might not be a better timeshare for you.....depending on your location and desires. But, letter first!

cheers.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats on doing your research and finding TUG in time to cancel and save thousands! most are not so lucky!

Lesismore2017

Reaction score
So just sent my hand written, dated, and signed letter via certified mail. I enclosed the sheet of the contract that includes the section regarding rescission instructions woop woop. I have copies, my certified mail receipt, tracking number, and i did not enclose member materials but i read here my cancellation cannot be held up for that reason. Hope this is all good and well now??

Lesismore2017

Reaction score
) Where do you want your home resort to be? Either Tahoe, Reno, or somewhere in Socal near major kids attractions such as Carlsbad or Anaheim.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time? Probably trade a bit more than half the time. Id like to see the worlf.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

Carribean

Mexico

South America and or Latin America

Asia Pacific - Thailand, Phillipines

Europe

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

Most of the time will be just me and 1 or 2 small children... may invite an additional 2 people from time to time.

5) Can you travel anytime, or are you locked into the school schedule? Locked into school schedule for sure.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more months in advance? Yes, in most cases.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?
Id rather not .. 3-5 nights is ideal

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? 2+ i require security and quiet hours but dont need uber fancy

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing? Like to stay under 1k, perhaps up to 3k if its a really good deal and fit.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? $1200

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? For the most part

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? Yes, I do.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Good for you. Congrats

OK, a few comments:

Based on your answers....

You show strong interest in west coast resorts. That does in fact open up Worldmark (and others) as an option.
You show interest in Pacific, South American and Europe sites....that's good for RCI (and II) and having 2.5* expectations really helps.

Locked in school schedule: So, this answer indicates that you need to really research timeshares (and maybe rent some first!) before jumping into something that might not be a good fit for you. Peak week reservations during school holidays require either very good planning (12 mos) or lots of last minute flexibility (let's go to XXXX this weekend...it just popped open!). Rentals (including timeshare rentals) might be a better fit here....you should get some more insight on this.

3-5 days vs a week: Points systems (like Wyndham, Worldmark, HGVC etc...) tend to work well when you want to stay for more or less than a week. But, there are often restrictions about booking less than a week during peek demand at 12 months. On the other hand, you could easily piece-together reservations for 2-3 days at different resorts if you have more flexibility and can be flexible (read driving to the resort!). In your price range, Wyndham and Worldmark pop right up to the surface for flexible points-based systems.

At your price point, the higher end 4-5* resorts (Marriott, Hilton, Westin) are pretty much at or above your price point. But there are many 2-4* resorts that would fit the bill nicely.

In general, Wyndham or Worldmark are larger systems (with more resorts and availability) that offer good flexibility and reasonable pricing. Particularly, Worldmark has very good reservation, exchange, cancellation and booking policies that make it easy to book at 12 mos or on short notice--inside 30 days. Further, you can easily snag reservations in Asia and the South Pacific using Worldmark/Wyndham without going thru exchanges.

As always, I'd suggest getting input from other active owners in these two systems and get their opinion based on your desired locations and schedules. I strongly prefer Worldmark for a number of reasons, the primary reason is the ease of buying and selling Worldmark contracts at an affordable cost. I.E., buy it, try it, sell it if you don't like it. It's not such a complicated risk given the relatively low cost of a contract and the ability to purchase or rent more points as needed.

My number one piece of advice is: rent and visit at a few resorts that fit your needs and see if you like the system(s). Try before you buy. Plus, the rental cost shouldn't be too much more than the cost of ownership (especially during shoulder or off-season) and you can see what makes you and your family happy!
I hope this helps.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
So just sent my hand written, dated, and signed letter via certified mail. I enclosed the sheet of the contract that includes the section regarding rescission instructions woop woop. I have copies, my certified mail receipt, tracking number, and i did not enclose member materials but i read here my cancellation cannot be held up for that reason. Hope this is all good and well now??

You are good to go (no pun intended). I trust that anyone and everyone who signed the contract also signed the rescission letter (...if not, do it over again).

Wyndham may or may not ever actually send you any "confirmation", but rest assured that by law they have absolutely no choice or option except to process your cancellation and issue a 100% refund of your deposit (which could lawfully take up to 45 days, but likely won't).

Don't answer any incoming calls from hungry sales weasels looking to salvage the sale (and their disappearing commission). Just let the law do its' work.
Well done! :thumbup:

Lesismore2017

Reaction score
Thank you all! I paid some of the deposit by opening a wyndham rewards credit card so now i need to go about closing the card too right? Thoughts?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all! I paid some of the deposit by opening a wyndham rewards credit card so now i need to go about closing the card too right? Thoughts?
I think they'll credit the refund to that account, so I think I'd wait until that occurs before cancelling it. Unless someone else has more exact info.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think they'll credit the refund to that account, so I think I'd wait until that occurs before cancelling it. Unless someone else has more exact info.

I dunno, but am inclined to agree that the deposit portion put on the credit card should be credited back to that card. However, I would also suggest steadfastly avoiding any other use of that credit card for any reason in the meantime, cancelling it completely as soon as you see the deposit refund and a zero balance reflected on the card account.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am inclined to agree, but I would also steadfastly avoid any other use of that credit card for any reason in the meantime and cancel it completely just as soon as you see the deposit refund.
Agree on not using the card. The refund should be completed within 45 days (maximum). You may have to call the customer service number on the back of the card, and tell the representative that you are rescinding in order to be able to cancel it before they charge you an annual fee. Remember, the bank that is the card carrier is NOT Wyndham and has no dog in the fight between you and Wyndham. To them, you are just a new customer.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Congrats. And, remember: After you decide what is right for your family's vacation needs and goals.... you can purchase it at the right price and knowing all the details and considerations--before you buy! So, even if you turn around and decide you NEED to buy from the developer, you could still do it, and probably at a better price.

So, we are not here to say 'never buy from the developer,' we are here to say 'understand your purchase and goals before you buy...'

good luck and welcome to TUG. best $15 you'll ever spend if you become a member.

kshell18

TUG Member
Reaction score
Theo's right: this is a 'one time deal' so make sure you take care of the rescission/cancellation letter and follow the rules to the 'letter of the law.' Then you'll have plenty of time to casually research what is the best TS for you and how to purchase it.

I'll mention this: After you send your rescission letter, I'll be glad to explain to you why Worldmark might or might not be a better timeshare for you.....depending on your location and desires. But, letter first!

cheers.
I don't mean to butt in on this conversation, but I recently rescinded a purchase from Wyndham (successfully, thanks to TUG!) and am doing some research into the resale market. I am curious as to why Worldmark might be better. I completed the survey in the "New to Timesharing" section of the forum and am curious to see what might work best for us. Thank you so much!

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to butt in on this conversation, but I recently rescinded a purchase from Wyndham (successfully, thanks to TUG!) and am doing some research into the resale market. I am curious as to why Worldmark might be better. I completed the survey in the "New to Timesharing" section of the forum and am curious to see what might work best for us. Thank you so much!

I don't know where you are located or where you intend or prefer to travel, but Worldmark has much more of a presence in the Western U.S.
More specifically, Worldmark has no presence to speak of here in the Eastern U.S.

That being said, I possess no knowledge whatsoever regarding how easy or difficult it to access different locations within Wyndham or Worldmark when owning one or the other. Others will surely provide and share that knowledge and experience. :shrug:

Last edited:

kshell18

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know where you are located or where you intend or prefer to travel, but Worldmark has much more of a presence in the Western U.S.
More specifically, Worldmark has no presence to speak of here in the Eastern U.S.

That being said, I possess no knowledge whatsoever regarding how easy or difficult it to access different locations within Wyndham or Worldmark when owning one or the other. Others will surely provide and share that knowledge and experience. :shrug:
Thank you for the info. I live on the East coast (DMV, specifically) and would probably be travelling here primarily while my children are young and then expanding the travel distance as they get older. I'm from the West coast, and would love the ability to visit there as I miss it very much. I guess that means that Worldmark would not work well for us currently, as they do not have an East coast presence.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I live on the East coast and would probably be travelling here primarily while my children are young and then expanding the travel distance as they get older. I'm from the West coast, and would love the ability to visit there as I miss it very much. I guess that means that Worldmark would not work well for us currently, as they do not have an East coast presence.

Before jumping to any conclusions, as indicated previously I again suggest awaiting and processing input from others who can (unlike me) offer you some informed insight and experience on the ease (or perhaps, the difficulty) with which ownership in either Wyndham or Worldmark affords access to the other.
I frankly don't know anything at all about that and won't proffer unfounded speculation or uninformed opinion.

Wyndham certainly has a strong property presence here in the East (with the noteworthy exceptions of coastal SW Florida and / or the Florida Keys).
A resale Wyndham points acquisition (with sufficient points) might fit the bill for you, but I'm sure that you would also like to know more about potential access to Worldmark with a Wyndham ownership. I would like to learn more about that myself, actually (albeit not as a potential buyer of either one). :shrug:

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

So, I'm the one that suggested 'WM might be better....'

Wyndham has a strong presence across the US and throughout the Wyndham/WM system (depending on your type of points etc...). Worldmark has a very strong West/NW presence and access to lots of properties from Asia to Europe to S.A. etc... via Worldmark/Wyndham and access to RCI and Interval International. For several reasons, I find Worldmark much easier to purchase/own/use/sell than Wyndham. There are advantages to Wyndham, but I'll let others explain that--I'm simply not a Wyndham expert and wouldn't want to muddy the waters.

If you plan to book heavily on the east coast and/or want reservation priority on the eastern side of the USA, I'd say Worldmark may not be right for you.
If, on the other hand, you plan to primarily book in the Pacific Northwest, or Western US--and desire access to RCI and Interval Intl--then I think you might find the simplicity and ease of WM a great thing. Also, WM lends itself to buy/use/sell without extensive investment or loss of money. Wyndham contract resales seem to run hot/cold based on my casual observance. But, again, that's a question for smarter people than me.

I see you completed the 'new to timesharing' survey...I'll respond to your posting in that forum.

cheers.

Bpaul89

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Seascape Destin Florida
I got the confirmation that i was able to cancel via voice and email!

Did you get the tablet when you purchased your timeshare and did you return it when you rescinded?

WackyLucy

Reaction score
Yes i sure do have the kindle tablet and was never contacted to return it

The retail value of that tablet can simply (and lawfully) be deducted from the deposit refund if you fail to return it, if they should choose to do so.
They won't "contact" you to return it --- they don't need to. Westgate surely would just deduct the value from refund; don't know about others. :shrug:

Last edited: