• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bay Club Question

goaline3

Reaction score
New to the site and just started exploring HGVC.... From what I gather Bay Club is part of the network, yet does not fall under the ROFR? MF don't look crazy high here, so why wouldn't this be a go to for someone?

Searching Various places and looks like there are a number that are being offered far below the $1 / point reference. Is Redweek reputable?

I am leaning towards an annual, 7,000 point plan if that helps drive a direction.

Thanks for the info.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
There are some that have this attitude that because it is an affiliate it is somehow sub par. I guess they believe it will leave HGVC.

But a few comments about Bay Club and its unique affiliate status. Bay Club was actually built as whole ownership, but just as the economy tanked in Japan, for which it was marketed to. So it became a timeshare, one that owned a lot more land around it. The deed document predate HGVC's arrival so there are no ROFR statements for this property. Then HGVC approached them to became an affiliate, but membership is optional for BC owners. But part of that deal was to provide land BC owned to HGVC to build Kohala. So I am not sure if the land is still owned by BC or not. Then the Bay Club GM has now also risen pretty high up in HGVC world, I believe he is President of HGVC. So there are some long and strong ties between the two.

There is also been recent example where one of the SW FL resorts kicked HGVC out. Owners there who participate in HGVC points did not loose that right, and are still part of HGVC even though the resort is not managed by HGVC.

I suppose the concern stemmed from Marriott, as they are the TS company who has probably kicked out more properties from Marriott designation that any other TS company. HGVC to date has never outsted an affiliate to my knowledge.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am leaning towards an annual, 7,000 point plan if that helps drive a direction.

Thanks for the info.

Buy Vegas (lower MF) and use the points at Bay Club. That's what we do and have no problems getting rooms.

Cheers.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Are there other things the OP should know before buying Bay Club that may be different?
I believe some affiliates require additional actions compared to a regular HGVC account.

Here are some things I remember reading over the years regarding some HGVC affiliates. I just don't know which rules apply to which affiliates. :shrug:

Does your points automatically appear in your HGVC account or do you have to make a request to add your week to HGVC account each year?

Do you have to reserve a week to deposit into your HGVClub account?

Can you make 2018 club reservation without prepaying your 2018 maintenance fee?

Can you 2018 borrow points for 2017 reservation without prepaying your 2018 maintenance fee?

What's the earliest you can deposit your 2018 week and 2019 week into your HGVC account? I could be wrong but I seem to recall BC owners can't access their 2019 week (for borrowing) until Jan 2018.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There used to be additional actions and restrictions for BC, like you had to actually pay your MF for the point before you used them, and you used to have your points in a separate account.

However they REMOVED those restraints a few years ago and it is now treated exactly the same as my Seaworld property. Since BC is considered floating Platinum all year from an ownership perspective, you have to do nothing. You automatically get 7000 for a 2 BR week, no request first then deposit. Points are automatically in the account, no difference at all from my other property. They are treated exactly the same. The only exception is I can't book a HOME season week online. However I have never in my entire time with HGVC ever booked during home season, as BC usually has decent availability.

So yes at one point they were treated differently, BUT THEY ARE NOT ANY LONGER.

So you see why I say people have issues with affiliates without knowing the details about properties. It is their lack of knowledge that thus taints all affiliates.

Staying at BC is an issue for some people who say feel that access to the Pools at HWV is essential. I do not think it is so essential. Since BC units are by far the largest units of the 3 in Waikoloa area, I prefer them, the 685 Sq ft lanai is fabulous compared to all other in the area. I don't spend my time at the pool when I am in Hawaii, so access to HWV is not a concern for me.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks for the update. :)

Yes, there is a lack of knowledge regarding the affiliates but I believe this can be resolved by folks sharing what they know about each of their affiliate ownerships on TUG.

For example, some affiliates feature additional benefits. Some folks don't know that some of the Florida affiliates trade directly with Interval International exchange company.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
A HGVC affiliate sticky is long overdue.

We're flying back home today. When I get back, I'll create a separate thread to gather information regarding the various HGVC affiliate ownerships.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
New to the site and just started exploring HGVC.... From what I gather Bay Club is part of the network, yet does not fall under the ROFR? MF don't look crazy high here, so why wouldn't this be a go to for someone?

Searching Various places and looks like there are a number that are being offered far below the $1 / point reference. Is Redweek reputable?

Thanks for the info.

Yes Redweek is a reputable place to find a timeshare. It is a marketplace, so you should do some due diligence / research on both the listing and the seller. Many of the listing on Redweek are from brokers, so can probably find some reviews or comments about prior transactions online. With a private party sale, it may be hard to research. Not that you need to avoid private party sales, but there is often less info available on the seller.

As for Bay Club, yes many of those units sell for a discount compared with other HGVC resorts. I am not sure why but possibly due to fact that the MF are higher than many other resorts.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
There used to be additional actions and restrictions for BC, like you had to actually pay your MF for the point before you used them, and you used to have your points in a separate account.

However they REMOVED those restraints a few years ago and it is now treated exactly the same as my Seaworld property. Since BC is considered floating Platinum all year from an ownership perspective, you have to do nothing. You automatically get 7000 for a 2 BR week, no request first then deposit. Points are automatically in the account, no difference at all from my other property. They are treated exactly the same. The only exception is I can't book a HOME season week online. However I have never in my entire time with HGVC ever booked during home season, as BC usually has decent availability.

So yes at one point they were treated differently, BUT THEY ARE NOT ANY LONGER.

So you see why I say people have issues with affiliates without knowing the details about properties. It is their lack of knowledge that thus taints all affiliates.

Staying at BC is an issue for some people who say feel that access to the Pools at HWV is essential. I do not think it is so essential. Since BC units are by far the largest units of the 3 in Waikoloa area, I prefer them, the 685 Sq ft lanai is fabulous compared to all other in the area. I don't spend my time at the pool when I am in Hawaii, so access to HWV is not a concern for me.
You can always buy a 3 day pass to use the pools and facilities at bay club front desk. I believe it was $150 for a 3 day pass for a family 4. Prices might ha e changed but enquire at the check in desk.

Also the hoa voted to not pay for the hilton for the use of the pools at the hotel. It would have been added to the annual maintenance fee. It was decided that if you wanted to access the hotel pools, guests would pay for a pass. Owners would not subsidize access for people that would not use the hotel pools.

On another note i still have two seperate hgvc accounts. One for bay club and one for my true hgvc resorts. I have to call in and have a counselor combine the hgvc points in one account. Do you not have to do this Sandy? I also agree that bay club labled as an affiliate is only because bay club was not developed by hgvc. Bay club is more than just an affiliate because of the kohala suites that is/was on bay club land.

Another plus to enrolling a bay club unit is the cheaper enrollment fees. I believe that hgvc charges $560 to enroll a resale hgvc unit. While it was $299 to enroll a bay club unit. Does anyone know if it is still $299 to enroll a bay club unit in hgvc?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can always buy a 3 day pass to use the pools and facilities at bay club front desk. I believe it was $150 for a 3 day pass for a family 4. Prices might ha e changed but enquire at the check in desk.

Also the hoa voted to not pay for the hilton for the use of the pools at the hotel. It would have been added to the annual maintenance fee. It was decided that if you wanted to access the hotel pools, guests would pay for a pass. Owners would not subsidize access for people that would not use the hotel pools.

On another note i still have two seperate hgvc accounts. One for bay club and one for my true hgvc resorts. I have to call in and have a counselor combine the hgvc points in one account. Do you not have to do this Sandy? I also agree that bay club labled as an affiliate is only because bay club was not developed by hgvc. Bay club is more than just an affiliate because of the kohala suites that is/was on bay club land.

Another plus to enrolling a bay club unit is the cheaper enrollment fees. I believe that hgvc charges $560 to enroll a resale hgvc unit. While it was $299 to enroll a bay club unit. Does anyone know if it is still $299 to enroll a bay club unit in hgvc?

Price is over 500.. :(

That being said, it is still a great deal.. I can not find another hgvc property with lower buy in to points ratio. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

You must be mistaken. Have you logged in lately. I USED TO have separate accounts, but they removed that restriction. I now have 1 logon and I see all my contracts in that one logon.

BC is just another contract EXACTLY like my SeaWorld, with one exception, and its minor for me. I can't book home resort ONLINE. I have to fill in request and send it to BC. But since I have never used my Home week at BC, it is insignificant to me.

No calling to pay points in advance of use (they eliminated that), no having to call and move points from BC account to my other account. (no need). You get your points for BC the same way and same time as my seaworld. As long as I am a member is good standing (no outstanding fees) I can borrow my points without prepaying MFs. I can see 2017, 2018 and 2019 points for both units.

I have 14000 points a year (7K for both SW and BC) and this is what my point summary shows:

upload_2017-5-20_0-58-27.png

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here is the image that shows both SW and BC in the same account and the NO HOME week bookable online for BC (but it is ok for SW)
upload_2017-5-20_1-8-27.png

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Nope not mine. I just called in to have my 2018 points combined. Once i combine them they are like yours. I wonder who do i have to call to get them combined? I still have two member numbers, one for bay club and one hgvc. They both work the same but are seperate accounts. What made me mad was my club fees were billed to the hgvc account this year for some reason and i did not catch that until i tried to move points into one account. I had to pay a $50 late fee on the $159 Club dues.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I used to have two account numbers, but now they have merged then into one account, my SW account actually.

That is weird and should be resolved, but likely needs a call in.

I didn't have to do anything. Both weeks behave the same. No calls required.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

I just checked my paperwork from April - the activation fee was $399, and there was the first year membership fee of $159.

For a point of reference, I found an odd year Bay Club penthouse unit (7,000 points) this year. I paid $899 and it included the 2017 points. My total out of pocket was ~1,450 which included purchase price, closing costs, activation, and membership. I'm not thrilled about the maintenance fee but I'm not upset either. It was the right purchase for us at this time.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends on what you want. Bay Club is a great property - for what it is. If you want glitzy pools, on the beach, ect., that's not Bay Club. if you want a spacious, well kept, place to stay while in Hawaii, Bay Club is your place. (I'm a happy owner there.)

If you are a points person, you have to calculate your break even point in time. (How long before the money you save from purchase price gets eaten up by higher maintenance fees. Can be 8 to 12 years.)

If this is a surrogate vacation home (my use), then owning there is important, because 1). You don't have to pay for HGVC. That saves the joining costs and the annual fee. And 2). You get first crack at reservations. The owner window, 12 to 9 months out. So if I want an A Penthouse during high season, I can get it. Usually the exact unit I ask. (I have a favorite unit. . .:thumbup: )

For me, it's the best deal on the Big Island. But that is to taste. . .

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
What is the difference between the penthouse unit and the normal unit? Thank you!

Best,

Greg

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What is the difference between the penthouse unit and the normal unit? Thank you!

Best,

Greg

Penthouse is top floor. LOL With a vaulted ceiling. The is the only difference between a penthouse and normal unit.

Joking aside, in HGVC there is no difference, they are both worth the same point value, but when originally sold, the penthouse was a higher price.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you are a points person, you have to calculate your break even point in time. (How long before the money you save from purchase price gets eaten up by higher maintenance fees. Can be 8 to 12 years.

I would think given the price tag, and knowing MFs I think this is likely toward the higher end of that range to Break Even. That is a significant amount of years. And that is not looking at the time value of money either. Given the MFs for the 12 years are paid with future $$ and not net present value $$. Also if you were going to buy something with lower MFs then you will have to cough up that case today, so maybe from a cash flow perspective this is better timing.

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would think given the price tag, and knowing MFs I think this is likely toward the higher end of that range to Break Even. That is a significant amount of years. And that is not looking at the time value of money either. Given the MFs for the 12 years are paid with future $$ and not net present value $$. Also if you were going to buy something with lower MFs then you will have to cough up that case today, so maybe from a cash flow perspective this is better timing.

Hense why I own there.... but whenever I have this conversation, people always tell me that they amoortize purchase decisions based on 20 year ownership projection...

assuming you use your points for non overbuilt areas... Bayclub actually breaks even in rental cost savings within 2 years as well...

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Penthouse is top floor. LOL With a vaulted ceiling. The is the only difference between a penthouse and normal unit.

Joking aside, in HGVC there is no difference, they are both worth the same point value, but when originally sold, the penthouse was a higher price.

Don't some of the Penthouse units have lanai's with a small section that does not have a roof? Not sure which floor plan that is, but i noticed that from the shuttle earlier this week. That would be a plus if you want to get some sun, or perhaps enjoy the stars at night.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Don't some of the Penthouse units have lanai's with a small section that does not have a roof? Not sure which floor plan that is, but i noticed that from the shuttle earlier this week. That would be a plus if you want to get some sun, or perhaps enjoy the stars at night.
That's what I have heard. Mostly it is a sound issue for us. If possible, I prefer to have a top floor, especially if the resort is wood construction vs. concrete. When trading in, we are usually given a ground floor unit no matter where we stay. I have learned to like it for the most part - especially if we are facing a grassy area - but my preference is for a top floor.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

True, but since I am not a sit in the sun kind of person, it didn't even occur to me that was a notable difference.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score

I agree on the cash flow issue but, if cash flow is not a factor, I think that going by MFs can still make sense. Using current numbers, I find:

Bay Club MFs $1215 for 4800 points. For Flamingo (where we own): $873 for 5000 points (I have excluded the HGVC Dues as we already pay them for W. 57th, but I realize that that will not apply to everyone). This leaves $342 extra in MFs for Bay Club.

I saw a figure here of $899 for Bay Club. We got Flamingo for $2750. That leaves 5.4 years for breakeven. I guess one needs to add the HGVC "initiation" fee to Flamingo, so that adds another couple of years.

So, for us, Flamingo made more sense than Bay Club, even with a good bit of our use at Bay Club.

Cheers.