• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Frenchman's Cove - 2 Weeks in Late Summer

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Looking for input. We planned to go to Frenchman's Cove in spring, but it didn't work out. We haven't been yet and have been eager to test it out.

Three questions.

First. How is the weather in late summer (Aug/Sept)? I know it's hurricane season, so risky, but other than that I expect warm weather and water?

Second. Is there enough to do for 2 weeks? Or is 1 week enough. Given the flight cost, we debated on whether it's worth going for 2 full weeks, just not sure if it is? We would have younger kids with us.

Third, We may or may not have extended family join. If we did, we would try to obtain a 3 bedroom. Any differences in 2 br vs 3 br, other than size? Resort placement, etc? I think both are ocean view, correct? So I assume all villas have a decent view if high enough.

Thanks!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I could easily spend 2 weeks there. We visited 2 years ago...and had a 3BR. As I understand it from other TUGgers, until the Crown building was built, all 3BR'were on the top floor of each building, so you were guaranteed a great view. When the Crown was built, they have a complete stack (one on each floor) of 3BR, so you do now have a shot at getting something lower floor wise, but if you ask for any building except the Crown, you have a good shot at getting a great top floor view with a 3BR, which is what we did and ended up in St John building, which is an extra elevator ride to the pool/beach, but still not too bad....and made for easy access to the path that takes you over to the Reef hotel amenities next door.

Having the Reef amenities next door is great....provides a different pool/beach experience to mix things up during the stay. You could easily spend a day at a different amazing beach on St. Thomas. Can spend a day or two exploring St. John. Can spend a day jewelry/watch shopping in town (pick a slow cruise ship day for this). Can take a boat trip to the BVI's which is amazing. Lots of snorkeling, paddle boarding, kayaking, etc, etc all over the islands to keep you busy and of course just general relaxing by the pool or on the beach can kill a few days.

We were only there for a week...but it went by really fast. Another week would have been perfect.

Last edited:

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can answer question #2. The water is gorgeous. If you are beach bums and like to snorkel and such you should be content for 2 weeks.

Personally...If I had two weeks to spend. I would do one week in St Thomas and try to find a different place on a nearby island - maybe St John, BVI, San Juan, etc just for a change of scenery. You can easily take a boat to may of the other islands or a really quick cheap flight.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
We spent about 10 days at the hotel in August a while back. The water is unpleasantly warm, but I'm from Long Island so I'm used to cooler water. It's hotter both in the day and the evenings and very dry. The Island is more brown than green. Other than that it's no different from when we go now in February. A lot less tourists I would imagine.

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
The water is unpleasantly warm, but I'm from Long Island so I'm used to cooler water.

There is no such thing as 'unpleasantly warm' ocean water unless it's over 90 degrees. LOL! I'm from New Jersey and my pool heater is set for 88 degrees - 90 gets a little warm only when air temperature is 90 plus. I prefer a "No chill factor!" when entering a pool or ocean. New Jersey ocean water doesn't get warm enough for me until mid-August (when the jellyfish join us on beach) and even then it's still a little cooler than I prefer.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Each to his own. This from wikipedia,

Bacteria, algae and other organisms thrive under warm water conditions this is obviously harmful not just for athletes but the general public in a commercial swimming pool, for competitive pools the water should be no higher than 82°F(28°C), for recreational pools the recommended maximum is 84°F(29°C).

I would think you run up quite an energy bill keeping your pool at 88 degrees.

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
Agreed to each is own.

A solar cover helps keep the heat in the pool at night and helps warm it during the day. My heating bill is not much more than it would be if I didn't heat the pool. There are weeks when the heater doesn't even go on because the air temperature is so hot.

JCerniglow

TUG Member
Reaction score
I could easily spend two weeks there but it depends upon how well you relax. if you require constant stimulation on vacation then you might be bored with two weeks.

curbysplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Streamside-Birch, Marriott Custom House
St Thomas is a long way for those of us that don't live on the east coast or in the southeast. Two weeks in the Caribbean is a practical way to work through this. Frenchmans Cove is our favorite MVC. I agree with others that there is plenty to do to soak up the ambience. That said what we did a couple years ago is took a one week cruise out of San Juan and spent our second week at Frenchmans Cove. It worked for us.