• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shootout leaves eight dead near Mexico's Los Cabos tourist hub

myoakley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am so sorry to read this. I feel bad for the hard-working Mexican people who depend on the tourist industry. The drug dealers/gang members have succeeded in driving visitors from Acapulco, and now it seems they are bent on ruining Cabo, also. Although we know that it is statistically unlikely that a tourist, minding his/her own business, will get caught up in the violence, these headlines will keep people away.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Regarding American tourists and unnatural death in Mexico, there were 264 in 2016. These were mostly accidents like drowning, vehicle crashes, over doses and suicide. About 70 were homicides which occurred mainly in Northern Mexico along the border.

In contrast, there were about 27 million Americans that visited Mexico in 2016. 27,000,000 American visitors / 70 homicides = 0.000002592 x 100 = aprox .00002592 % chance of being a victim of homicide in Mexico in 2016. That is really a very very minuscule chance , imo.

There really isn't much info on natural deaths in Mexico. The CDC claims that 1 out of 4 Americans die from heart attack in America. I'm pretty sure heart attacks kill more Americans on vacation in Mexico than any other cause, especially because of the age of most tourists and the language barrier. Here are some useful phrases.

heart attack --- ataque al corizon
call an ambulance -- llama una ambulencia
I need help --- Nesicito ayuda

Knowing what hospital you need to be at is very of important. Having trip insurance might be a good idea. We have been buying trip insurance for the last 8 years or so for our trips out of the USA. I was more concerned with accidents while out of country than anything else, and I still am, but now have concerns about health issues as well because I now have health issues.

Bill

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually the shootings stated above were the result of a drug raid by Federales, one officer was killed , the rest were narcos.

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
Love the numbers easyrider. I made the same argument here a few years ago, and point out that the rate of deaths from airline accidents is 117 deaths per billion journeys. So the likelihood of dying in a airplane crash on the trip (2 journeys) is almost the same at 0.0000234%. And yet everyone is okay with taking that flight.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding American tourists and unnatural death in Mexico, there were 264 in 2016. These were mostly accidents like drowning, vehicle crashes, over doses and suicide. About 70 were homicides which occurred mainly in Northern Mexico along the border.

In contrast, there were about 27 million Americans that visited Mexico in 2016. 27,000,000 American visitors / 70 homicides = 0.000002592 x 100 = aprox .00002592 % chance of being a victim of homicide in Mexico in 2016. That is really a very very minuscule chance , imo.

There really isn't much info on natural deaths in Mexico. The CDC claims that 1 out of 4 Americans die from heart attack in America. I'm pretty sure heart attacks kill more Americans on vacation in Mexico than any other cause, especially because of the age of most tourists and the language barrier. Here are some useful phrases.

heart attack --- ataque al corizon
call an ambulance -- llama una ambulencia
I need help --- Nesicito ayuda

Knowing what hospital you need to be at is very of important. Having trip insurance might be a good idea. We have been buying trip insurance for the last 8 years or so for our trips out of the USA. I was more concerned with accidents while out of country than anything else, and I still am, but now have concerns about health issues as well because I now have health issues.

Bill

Another very important phrase:

Una cerveza más delante del hospital, por favor

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was thinking that if a person needed to go to the hospital they would likely get there faster by taking a taxi. Taxis are every where and if your conscious and not a bloody mess they would likely give you a ride. The taxi driver might even have a beer for Ty1on, lol.

Bill

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Death_conflict_2016_375px.png

Source link: CNN
These are considered "conflict deaths", not run of the mill homicides. U.S. total homicides are about 15,000.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is interesting davidvel. Also interesting is the gruesome mid-evil way some of these homicides are committed and the proximity to tourist areas.

I find it interesting 27 miilion Americans went to Mexico on vacation in 2016 with only 70 homicides. It seems to suggest that Americans vacationing in Mexico are not really targets of the drug cartels.

I doubt that too many Americans vacationed in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan or Yemen and I would think that Americans are targets in these countries.

This news does reflect poorly on Mexico as a vacation destination and I wonder how soon it will reflect on resort occupancy.

Bill

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)

pianoetudes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham and Vidanta Grand Luxxe
The CDC claims that 1 out of 4 Americans die from heart attack in America. I'm pretty sure heart attacks kill more Americans

I thought the statistic says Americans are likely to die from car accident.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I do know 100% of Americans die from something at some point.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Yes, unfortunately

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I thought the statistic says Americans are likely to die from car accident.

Maybe so, but heart disease deaths are 1 out of 4 deaths in the USA. Looking at the chart it kind of leads me to believe that unintentional injury, which includes car accidents, is a leading cause of death of those under 45. I fall under the 55-65 age bracket and it looks like heart disease is the leading cause of death. Unintentional injury comes in at number 7 for my age group.

Bill

https://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/facts.htm

• About 610,000 people die of heart disease in the United States every year–that’s 1 in every 4 deaths.1
  • Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women. More than half of the deaths due to heart disease in 2009 were in men.1
  • Coronary heart disease (CHD) is the most common type of heart disease, killing over 370,000 people annually.1
  • Every year about 735,000 Americans have a heart attack. Of these, 525,000 are a first heart attack and 210,000 happen in people who have already had a heart attack.2

leading_causes_of_death_age_group_2015_1050w740h.gif