• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thoughts on private rentals

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Lately, a few people have asked me what to do when the owner will not provide any documentation of their rental.

In one case, even though the renter couldn't get any documentation from the owner, they went ahead and sent the money, because the price was so good - and they got scammed.

There are basically 2 reasons an owner won't provide any documentation:

1. They aren't business-like, or they are disorganized, and don't really know what they are doing.

2. They are scammers.

In either case, why would you want to do business with this person???

Even if they are honest, if the owner is not organized, business-like, and helpful, you are likely to have problems with them down the road.

As a potential renter, if the owner is not cooperative, all you can do is walk away - there is no way to make a scammer or uncooperative owner provide documentation.

If you ignore the red flags and pay then because "it's such a good deal," you are setting yourself up to be scammed, because scammers always offer a price that is lower than the going market rate, to convince potential renters to ignore the red flags.

It's not hard to verify a rental, but if you can't verify it, you have to walk away...

Last edited:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've seen some other threads on this topic in the past, and does this include renting from TUG members too? Have we had any known unresolved issues with renting from TUG members? Seems there are seldom issues there, and those rentals might be treated differently. Don't know for sure, I rarely rent at all (either way).

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I prefer direct exchanges, no money changes hands and so far have had great experiences. Except for one timeshare, all my resale weeks have been from TUG members.
Silentg

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I've seen some other threads on this topic in the past, and does this include renting from TUG members too? Have we had any known unresolved issues with renting from TUG members? Seems there are seldom issues there, and those rentals might be treated differently. Don't know for sure, I rarely rent at all (either way).
Absolutely -

1) Unfortunately, once in awhile a scammer slips through the cracks and posts an Ad on TUG.

2) Even a TUG member may be unbusiness-like or poorly organized.

3) We have lots of people who advertise in the Marketplace who never post in the forums, so you are not going to know them.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I posted this regarding a Hyatt rental, but it is worth repeating....

Another consideration is where did you rent from. If you rented from a TUGger, check to see how long they have a been a member. Long time members are not likely to screw people over and have someone not hear about it.

You could also ask for references. If I have nervous renters, I provide references from past renters. I request if I can use them as a reference after the reservation has been used, I almost always get people to agree to provide their contact info to a prospective renter. If used, I do give them a heads up, so they know someone might contact them. A few people have emailed the references. Clearly I would not have references if i was ripping people off.

I think that having an actual conversation with each other will provide a better understanding and comfort level. So pick up the phone.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you rented from a TUGger, check to see how long they have a been a member. Long time members are not likely to screw people over and have someone not hear about it.

It may not be possible to do this - there are many people who post in the Marketplace, who don't post in the discussion forums. I don't think you should hold that against them.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
It may not be possible to do this - there are many people who post in the Marketplace, who don't post in the discussion forums. I don't think you should hold that against them.

Well it goes back to my rent from people you feel comfortable with. If you don't know them from BBS then maybe you don't know them. I'm not holding anything against everyone, but I am trying to to ascertain who I would deal with.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you will only rent from Tuggers who post in the discussion forums, that really limits the rentals that are available to you.

It is certainly possible to do a safe rental from a sites like the TUG Marketplace and Redweek - but you have to do your due diligence - EVERYWHERE.

On the other hand - if you are extremely nervous about a private rental, or feel like you just don't understand the whole thing, you are not a good candidate to do a private rental.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
note that on every ad in the marketplace, it shows how long the person has been a TUG member.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm glad Denise started this thread. It bears repeating every once in a while. If something seems too good to be true, it's probably a scam!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
note that on every ad in the marketplace, it shows how long the person has been a TUG member.
Unless the scammer hacks the member's account, which I think is what happened in the recent case.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
but that should have easily been caught because the scammer provided totally different contact info.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise, I think in a separate post, you have said private rentals is not for everyone. You got it nailed. I consider myself pretty savvy and I still do not feel comfortable renting a timeshare. Even in a one in a 100000 chance that after doing due dilligence that the renter cancels the reservation at the last minute, it is too much stress to fly to a location and not have a reservation that I think I have.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
I also think it is good advice to remember this goes both ways. Whether you are the renter or the owner, buyer or seller. Lots of little scams out there that can hit anyone. I had one renter spinning me around before I realized they were trying to gain data to hack my ownership account (which sadly is not hard).
The internet makes lots of things easier, including scams. Be careful out there.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
I prefer direct exchanges, no money changes hands and so far have had great experiences. Except for one timeshare, all my resale weeks have been from TUG members.
Silentg

But even with that, the person getting the later date exchange must have trust that they are going to have the unit at check in.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
We contact the resort as well as the person exchanging with us. Just doubled checked today before I made plane reservations. Glad I did because the person sold his timeshare and neglected to tell us. I called my Resort and told them we would be coming there instead of the guests. I was a bit miffed but not so much since I like staying at my own timeshare.
Silentg

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We contact the resort as well as the person exchanging with us. Just doubled checked today before I made plane reservations. Glad I did because the person sold his timeshare and neglected to tell us. I called my Resort and told them we would be coming there instead of the guests. I was a bit miffed but not so much since I like staying at my own timeshare.
Silentg

Lucky catch! What a jerk! And BS artist!

At least you still have a vacation week that you don't mind go to. I would call the 'exchanged into' resort and speak to the resort manager ... you want to be absolutely right and get paper documentation ... least you be sued for not providing 'your week' if they or their guest should show up at YOUR resort to checkin ... with 'fake' paperwork signed by you.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
I never signed anything, nothing in writing just a verbal agreement that seemed to slip his mind. I emailed him last week and he didn't reply, so I had a feeling the deal fell thru. The deal was more for his benefit than mine. I would have gone thru with it. But was not that excited it was a Siesta Key for Cape Cod the deal was better for him like I said, but I contacted my resort and they happily crossed his name out. So we are going to Siesta Key in October!
Silentg

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Some resorts and/or resort systems make it hard to verify rental information. I have a number of mom and pop type resorts that do not send out confirmations.

I have a points type group that has units in a mixed use resort that they control several unit/weeks but don't manage and the resort itself and the front desk/reservations doesn't get the name of the actual guest until about 3-4 days prior to the trip. I do get a confirmation that I can forward and the vacation club can verify the reservation on their end but it isn't the resort itself.

Then there is Vistana, who now doesn't want the club or the resort to verify anything for the guest. Yes I have a confirmation I can forward. Yes I can do a 3 way call but really if the owner is doing the calling couldn't they call a friend who says yes they are Vistana and yes the reservation is all set up.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Seems like a lot of trouble. I'm relieved now, since we are going to Texas in September was going to be a challenge to go to Cape Cod too. All is well!
Silentg

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
its all about risk vs reward for timeshare rentals.

some deals are so good its worth trusting another owner (provided you have done at least some basic verification)...however no deal is too good to ignore obvious red flags!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I always contact my renters after the rental and offer them ROFR for the following year.

They know I'm legit and I don't have to advertise. It works.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Seems like a lot of trouble.

It depends on where you want to go. If you want to visit a premium resort in a high demand area (like Hilton, Hyatt, Vistana, Disney, Marriott), renting from the resort, or doing an exchange may not be feasible or possible, and that is why owner rentals are so popular.

At the top resorts, the resort itself often charges more than TWICE as much than an owner, so we are talking about a difference of thousands of dollars.

Example:

Westin Ka'anapali 2 bdm. garden view

From an owner: $3,600 + TAT Tax $105 = $3,705

From the resort: $6,034 + $210 resort fee + $809 additional taxes + $70 parking fee = $7,123