• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui MOC 2BR Garden View Advice

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I'll be visiting MOC for the first time in early August. Our exchange got us a 2BR/3Bath garden view at MOC. Seeing as how I traded a 3BR peak week for this, I wish I had held out for a better view, but water under the bridge.

Looking at http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...uilding-floor-to-request.243288/#post-1905889, it looks like the 2BR GV locations are the back of the Lanai tower, with a view of... the sports court/parking lot/buildings, OR the back corner of Maui wing with a view of the road, OR a low floor (1st or 2nd) in the Molokai tower facing the pool. Does this sound right?

Given that we exchanged in, I'm assuming I'll get a villa in the back of the Maui wing facing the roadway. :( If given a choice between a high floor on the back of the Lanai tower or a low floor facing the pool in the Molokai tower, which would you choose? Do you have any suggestions on snaring a room that does not look out on the road? (Does bribery work? Ha, JK!) I regret not rejecting this trade and waiting for a better view since this may be my last time in Maui. I had a 4 month trade-window (Aug. - Nov.) so I should have waited. To be honest, I was just so happy to get a 2BR that I jumped on it when it was offered.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I've always thought the Garden View rooms in the Lanai Tower have decent views (not great, but decent). They are modestly better than Peak-a-boo ocean views, but not good enough to be consider a true Ocean View. But when you are out on the lanai and you are sitting on a chair looking at the ocean, you will be glad to see water.

If I had traded in, I would be asking for highest floor possible in Lanai Tower, as far forward (close to the ocean) as possible. Good luck and let us know how it works out!

Best,

Greg

Berea1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Call now and make your request known and do so again three weeks before. Make sure you point out that you are a multiple Marriott's WEEKS OWNER AND that you ask that the assignment person consider that in the assignment. Patrick

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Call now and make your request known and do so again three weeks before. Make sure you point out that you are a multiple Marriott's WEEKS OWNER AND that you ask that the assignment person consider that in the assignment. Patrick

Thanks. Call whom? And what should my request be? Highest floor in Lanai closest to the front?

Berea1

TUG Member
Reaction score
The telephone number is on the reservation certificate that you received ; it is the front desk at the resort. Since you belong to TUG [Timeshare Users' Group], go to the resort reviews for that resort and read the reviews as to which building and floor you should request for your stay. I booked two nights for my daughter on my Marriott Visa card at Marriott Grande Vista in a studio. TUG reviews seemed to rate Building 82, fourth floor or above so I made that request and she got it. Patrick

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Thanks. Call whom? And what should my request be? Highest floor in Lanai closest to the front?
Yes -- phone is 808/667-1200 and ask for Room Assignments Coordinator. Good luck and let us know what you get!

Best,

Greg

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
When you exchange in to a resort, there is no guarantee of view category (and it doesn't matter what kind of unit you were using to get the trade). Holding out for a different trade likely would not have produced a better view.

As an exchanger, you will not get high priority for unit assignments. You will take your place behind Maui Ocean Club owners and those who reserved using DC points. I know they also put priority on when you made your reservation (i.e. an early reservation made 13 months ahead gets higher priority than a later reservation made 6 months ahead). But it never hurts to make a request. Who knows - maybe you'll get lucky and they'll give you what you want.

As a multi-week owner at Maui Ocean Club who reserves at the 13-month window, I have always been very pleased with my unit assignments. I would be quite upset if an exchanger was given higher priority than me.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Yes -- phone is 808/667-1200 and ask for Room Assignments Coordinator. Good luck and let us know what you get!

Best,

Greg

Thanks, Greg. I will!

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
As an exchanger, you will not get high priority for unit assignments. You will take your place behind Maui Ocean Club owners and those who reserved using DC points. I know they also put priority on when you made your reservation (i.e. an early reservation made 13 months ahead gets higher priority than a later reservation made 6 months ahead). But it never hurts to make a request. Who knows - maybe you'll get lucky and they'll give you what you want.

I understand all that, which is why I wrote in my initial post that as an exchanger, I'll probably end up with a 2BR in the back of the Maui wing facing the roadway. As an owner, I have no problem with Marriott giving owners the best rooms. I just wondered if there was a way to maybe improve my chances of getting the best of the worst rooms, not that that there are any BAD rooms on Maui. :)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
As a multi-week owner at Maui Ocean Club who reserves at the 13-month window, I have always been very pleased with my unit assignments. I would be quite upset if an exchanger was given higher priority than me.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that the OP get higher priority. While an exchanger is never guaranteed any view, it does seem that MOC is one of the few remaining properties that keep exchangers in to the unit code that they exchanged in to. I say this because we were considering having to make a trade for a 1BR and a studio just to get a 2BR and people suggested that they could be easily separated because of the unit codes and that people have had to move rooms when they had two different view codes on two back to back exchanges. The resort seems to be adamant to keep the guests in to what the original deposit was, for the OP that is garden view and they fully expect to be placed there. Though there is always an off chance for a change to something better, one just can't expect it. THey certainly can't be placed with any less of a view than they have now.

It also isn't like the OP is not a Marriott owner at all and exchanging in with a non Marriott. They are a multiple week Marriott owner that used their Marriott week to exchnage in to MOC. No different really than an enrolled owner using DC points from another ownership to exchange in? They will be placed in the priority order accordinly.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
No different really than an enrolled owner using DC points from another ownership to exchange in?
Good points.

The main difference is that a DC points reservation pays more (in the number of points) to get the desired view category.

For those with an adventurous spirit, gamble on an exchange and try to work the system to get the best view possible.

If views really matter to you, go with a DC points reservation to nail down the view category.

Side Note: Not all MVCI resorts are the same as Maui Ocean Club regarding rigid allocation of view categories. I recently traded 2BR Maui Ocean Club (mountain view) for 2BR Ko Olina. When the trade came through, it said Ocean View Penthouse. Because there is no guarantee of view category, I was sure that would be changed to Mountain View, but they actually gave us Ocean View Penthouse! What a great trade that was.