• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii more long term

jmdickie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Have posted here a few times over the years, have rented from owners advertising here and of course have always found/read very valuable information. For all those reasons this is my first stop to research my next perfect vacation. My family and I have been to Hawaii a number of times (maybe a dozen) and we have stayed at our home resort and exchanged into many others. I am wondering, in your experienced opinions, what would be the best option to rent for a month? I like the amenities you get with timeshare exchanges. Probably preferable to a private home. But I also know that most often (in my experience) timeshare exchanges or rentals are offered by the week. I would appreciate any advice or information you have time to share. We would likely be traveling next Feb - April.

Thanks
Joanne

taffy19

Reaction score
How about a condo-hotel? There are several on Maui but they are expensive even by the month. They must be on the other islands too.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We've used vrbo for several rentals in Hawaii. They have all been at condo locations.

jmdickie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps? I have not looked at that option. Maui is definitely a favourite Island (also becoming a lot of other peoples favourite, so busy now) Have you used them yourself? Would you recommend any? I was thinking of 2 2 week timeshare rentals? Perhaps one on the south end and one on the North end of Maui

jmdickie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Luanne, Do you find that the VRBO option is more economic than say multiple 1 or 2 week rentals/exchange?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Luanne, Do you find that the VRBO option is more economic than say multiple 1 or 2 week rentals/exchange?
No, it's not more economic, if you can get the exchanges. But, if you are renting it is certainly a good option.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Duplicate post

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I have seen ads that offer a discount for long term rentals. I would check the ads to see if it is offered.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You're looking for prime time in Hawaii so it's not going to be cheap to rent nor easy to exchange in but exchanging would be the least expensive if you can do it.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've used HomeAway/VRBO several times, mostly in Europe, and it has worked well for me. Make sure you select a property with lots of positive reviews. Look at the pictures and see if they meet your requirements. Don't go for the absolute cheapest one. You do get what you pay for often.

The advantage of a single rental over weekly timeshare rentals is that you can stay in one place the whole time. Renting/Exchanging into say WKORV, even from a single multiweek owner, can have you changing units every week.

We usually go a week or two to Maui and then to one of the other islands for a week. We've thought about retiring there, but that is likely wishful thinking. I think it is better to rent for a month or two at a time, with real estate values as they are. Rent is cheap as a percentage of real estate prices.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
We stayed for a month last May, one week on Oahu then three weeks on BI. I used my HGVC points for three of the weeks, then rented a week from a TUGer. HGVC allows booking up to a month in the same unit, but then you are locked into the two islands where their resorts are.

Maybe look at where you want to stay, then target the systems that have resorts. I try to get my exchanges first, then fill in with rentals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont know about Hawaii, but where I live in SW Florida there is a big vacation home and condo rental market.. I know a couple that owns two condos that they rent on a monthly basis. Im betting that there are real estate agencies in Hawaii that specialize in vacation rentals

Its a little late to be planning for 2018 but for future years you might find a Worldmark owner to rent to you.. Worldmark allows long term reservations

Or a Club Wyndham owner could put together 4 weeks in Feb or March at two Kauai resorts

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
We're staying a month next summer, 2 weeks on maui and 2 on oahu. I found that planning way ahead helped a ton, as well as not being terribly picky. We prefer timeshares over VBRO, plus the cost seemed cheaper with our traders. I booked the first 2 weeks in December when trading places had a bulk banking for kahana falls. They're 2 bedrooms and one is 4th of july week. I figured a bird in the hand was better than waiting on another resort and an OGS. My super long running OGS in RCI picked up lagoon tower for our 3rd week, but my shorter OGS hasn't hit for the 4th week (searching for 2 bedrooms). I have bonus time options in Waikiki, but we're gonna wait on the OGS or do a rental near the north shore or Kailua for a different experience.

If you're looking at spring 2018, I think you're on the late side for a lot of trading and spacebanks, so I'd look at renting from owners or VBRO.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I know what you mean about preferring the amenities of a timeshare. However, one big disadvantage of renting or exchanging is that you'll probably have to check-out and back in to a new room each week, because owners might own different fixed units or views, etc. That would be a major PITA IMO. Unless I was able to find a multi-week owner who was offering back-to-back weeks in the same unit, I'd be hesitant to rent 8 weeks from 8 different owners.

It's probably way too late to get monthly rentals for high season this late in the year, but I'd still look at VRBO or HomeAway and try to book several weeks together to minimize the moving. If budget is no object, I'd look at condo communities that either have great amenities on-site (e.g. Honua Kai on Maui), or that are within walking distance of other resorts (e.g. Polo Beach Club or Ka'anapali Ali'i so that you can walk to different bars/restaurants, book spa appointments, etc. If you need something more budget friendly, consider Mahana or Ka'anapali Shores.

P.S. I rented a 2 bdrm unit at Ka'anapali Shores a decade ago (that is sadly no longer listed) and while KS isn't the swankiest place, it does have a nice on-site restaurant. It's within walking distance of WKORV. #802438 looks really nice, is new to the market (so calendar isn't as booked) and is priced right.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even if you find a multiweek owner at WKORV, they are not guaranteed they'll have the same unit week to week. They can be forced to move each week. They might have a better chance of staying in one place, but it is not guaranteed. I own there, and sometimes I've had to move from one week to the next.

jmdickie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. I agree moving is a big PITA and I certainly would not want to do it weekly, however a couple or even 3 moves would not be the end of the world because we would be in our paradise. I actually like to stay at opposite ends of Maui so that I am not spending my vacation on that very busy road between Makena and Ka'anapali. I will look into all of these suggestions. If your reading this thread and happen to have back to back weeks in Feb or March. Let me know. We do love Ka'anapali but in some ways prefer the smaller resorts such as Sands of Kahana and Maui Schooner.

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. I agree moving is a big PITA and I certainly would not want to do it weekly, however a couple or even 3 moves would not be the end of the world because we would be in our paradise. I actually like to stay at opposite ends of Maui so that I am not spending my vacation on that very busy road between Makena and Ka'anapali. I will look into all of these suggestions. If your reading this thread and happen to have back to back weeks in Feb or March. Let me know. We do love Ka'anapali but in some ways prefer the smaller resorts such as Sands of Kahana and Maui Schooner.

Trading Places Intl has back to back 1 bedrooms at Maui Schooner available for April 2018.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should take a look at Air BnB, but filter your search to "entire place" not "private room". The entire place option means you have your own entry and private space that is seperate of the owners. If you are looking for a one bedroom or studio, Air BnB has more to offer. VRBO has more homes and larger spaces as well as condos that are full time rentals. But Air BnB has twice as many listings. One thing about renting with both of those companies is that you are often finding quarters in a residential neighborhood. We live walking distance to Hanauma Bay and about 15 percent of the homes in our neighborhood are with those two companies. Two of our neighbors have VRBO and we have a 750 sf cottage in front of our house with Air BnB. So far, things have been going well and everyone of our guest love being here.

Consumer Reports just published an article about vacation rentals in their most recent issue. Their advice is a little conservative, but very informative. Shoot me a private message if you have any questions.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
You should take a look at Air BnB, but filter your search to "entire place" not "private room". The entire place option means you have your own entry and private space that is seperate of the owners. If you are looking for a one bedroom or studio, Air BnB has more to offer. VRBO has more homes and larger spaces as well as condos that are full time rentals. But Air BnB has twice as many listings. One thing about renting with both of those companies is that you are often finding quarters in a residential neighborhood. We live walking distance to Hanauma Bay and about 15 percent of the homes in our neighborhood are with those two companies. Two of our neighbors have VRBO and we have a 750 sf cottage in front of our house with Air BnB. So far, things have been going well and everyone of our guest love being here.

Consumer Reports just published an article about vacation rentals in their most recent issue. Their advice is a little conservative, but very informative. Shoot me a private message if you have any questions.
I haven't used Air BnB, yet. When I've looked it seems their cancellation policies are much more strict than what I've seen with VRBO. So, just be sure to check the cancellation policies before booking anywhere.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've used VRBO several times and AirBnB once. Never in Hawaii, though. Mostly in Europe.

VRBO properties seem to be dedicated to rental more than AirBnB. The latter properties are sometimes a room in someone's house, or a place where the owners are temporarily going away. In one apartment I was looking at, the owner told me they would take a trip during whatever time I wanted to use their place.

In both services, be sure to check reviews and don't trust the pictures 100%. Sometimes they are taken with special lighting and though mostly they are of the place for rent, when you get there things aren't quite as bright and airy as the pictures might lead you to believe. Also, safety standards are not necessarily followed, like the AirBnB place near where I live where a large tree branch from a long dead tree fell and killed the father of the renter.

There is a difference between going to a name brand hotel and resort and a private rental property that goes beyond the amenities and attractiveness of the place.

I've only had one disappointing property in about 10 rentals, but at least I got my money back and was able to move on short notice. This was in Rome and I was lucky I had lots of hotel points. It could have been an expensive mistake. On the other hand, the rest of the rentals have provided much nicer locations than I would have been able to get at a hotel, in areas of cities not typical for large scale lodgings.

I will continue to use both services, realizing their limitations. I have a VRBO rental in Tuscany in a few weeks. It is out in the country side, centrally located between Florence, Volterra and San Gimignano. No hotels nearby. VRBO and AirBnB are useful services and you can find great places. You just have to do much more homework than when you pick a name brand resort. Overall, I feel more comfortable with the properties I've seen in VRBO, but AirBnB offers a lot of variety too. Some people actually enjoy sharing the premises with local owners and you can get a much more immersive experience with local flair.

amyhwang

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Ko Olina
Where do you own, and how many of you are going?

I'm going to Ko Olina (Marriott) for a month this summer. We own 2 weeks, so we locked off. Just me and my 18 year old are using the studio for 2 weeks, then my husband and our 20 year old are joining us for another 2 weeks. We had to add on 2 more nights in a one bedroom at the end to get decent flights with airline miles. I know they'll try to keep us in the same units, so we will definitely move once from the studio to the one bedroom, and there is a possibility of moving again. It is easier on housekeeping, though, to not move us, but we're prepared if we have to.

I'm actually starting to window shop for homes, as we are definitely thinking about moving back to Oahu in the next 5 - 10 years.

frankhi

TUG Member
Reaction score
We rented at the Hokulani this jan through vrbo. It worked out for us, but we found we much prefer the other side of black rock. Lots of place say kaanapali, but, imo, kaanapali ends at black rock (sheraton)

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't used Air BnB, yet. When I've looked it seems their cancellation policies are much more strict than what I've seen with VRBO. So, just be sure to check the cancellation policies before booking anywhere.

They just changed their policy about two weeks ago. Now you can cancel and Air BnB will allow that three times per year without penalty. However, each host can pick a different policy. Some have strict policies where you only get half your money back and other have full refund up to five days prior.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
They just changed their policy about two weeks ago. Now you can cancel and Air BnB will allow that three times per year without penalty. However, each host can pick a different policy. Some have strict policies where you only get half your money back and other have full refund up to five days prior.
The individual host policy is what I was talking about. Several I looked at basically had NO refund available.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
The issue with VRBO and AirBnB is that you are renting from an individual and if you cancel they may or may not be able to rent their unit to someone else. A hotel or resort has a much larger audience that they reach. Also, if one unit goes I rented, it is not that big a hit to them. Therefore, they have much more lenient cancellation policies.

If you rent a timeshare from an individual (say WKORV), you might also not be able to get your fee back. It is not like exchanging through the VSN program.