• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Coconut Plantation [is hard to access on a scooter]

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I paid II $1536 for a week's rental here at the Hyatt Residence Club in Bonita Springs, FL.

I went to a sales presentation this morning and actually bought points because I thought I loved the Hyatt brand.

Fast forward one hour

I'm in a mobility scooter. I went to the clubhouse onsite for lunch with visiting friends and the couple that travels with me to my many timeshares. My friend opened the door for me and then left to meet his wife inside. I realized too late that I had to use the bathroom. I looked for the sliding door or the pedestal to electronically open the door and I couldn't find any. So I tried the doors to the side. Same thing. No egress. So started asking if anyone could help me. Nobody heard me so I started hollering. The bartender finally heard me and let me out. Can you imagine how humiliated I felt?

Then I realized that I could not get into any of the pools, the restaurants or the bathrooms.
There is NOT one handicapped enabled door here.

My traveling companions had gone to talk to their friends and here I am in an electric scooter and none of the doors in or out can be opened electronically... which means I'm trapped!

I told the front desk clerk what was going on and she had the presence of mind to call the GM. His name is Ray and this was his response. He said, "their clubhouse was compliant with ADA rules and that the door issue had never bothered other disabled guests" I said they must have been traveling with an aid because I couldn't enter or egress the building, the pool, or the restaurant.

He said he would talk to his engineering staff about it.

I thought about this state of affairs, I looked up compliant doors on the Justice Dept's website and from what I read the building and the facilities are not ADA compliant. I was so angry, upset and humiliated..

I called the GM and asked for my money back. I also asked for my resort fees to be returned to me. He said he'd try, but I don't think I'll get the II money back, but he did take off $25 a day in resort fees.

I called and asked the sales manager to rescind my contract. I was told to send in a rescission letter to the resort even though I only signed the contract a few hours earlier.

The end!

auntjudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
that is disgusting. Hyatt company should know better. Can you sue them?? or at least
file a complaint with the ADA.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Automatic and Power-Assisted Doors and Gates [§404.3]
4edg29.jpg

Doors are not required to be automated, but must comply when provided. The Standards apply industry Standards developed under protocols of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and published by the Builders Hardware Manufacturers Association (BHMA). The ANSI/BHMA Standards address operating characteristics, including opening speed, safety features, sensors and activation devices, and labeling, among others. Doors are classified by their type or level of automation.

Under Common Questions:

Is automation of doors required?

Automation of doors is not required by the Standards, but it is highly recommended for entrance doors where the opening force is significant. A maximum opening force is not specified for exterior hinged doors because of the closing force typically necessary for ensuring positive latch against wind loading, air pressure, and other conditions. This often results in opening forces well above the 5 lbf maximum. Difficulty opening exterior swing doors is a common complaint. Automation offers the best solution. Otherwise, closers should be set with the minimum force practicable.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind in writing to cancel your contract ASAP and explain in detail why and what happen.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I am not disabled, but physically challenged . I have a hard time opening doors. If I see a button to open a door I always use it. Especially when you are checking in, hands are full and door is heavy. Also this can be to the resort's benefit because if the doors are ADA approved it helps. Guests like me enjoy the little things!
Silentg

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Voluntarily deleted my intended post to avert any misinterpretation or offense, but I am sorry for the OP's troubles and unfortunate experience.

I do however strongly recommend that OP follow the "rescind in writing" input provided to her on site, despite still being physically on the premises.
Rescission conversation alone regarding a contract already executed is both legally meaningless and an opportunity for avoidable misunderstandings.

Last edited:

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I appreciate that tschwa2 researched the door situation but not having ANY doors accessible by some means seems counterintuitive doesn't it?

Pedro47 I'm going to type the rescission letter today. I'll Copy it and mail it out certified mail to the Hyatt Windward Point in Key West today.

Silenttg, I commiserate completely. This is the only place at which I've stayed that didn't have some mechanism to open the doors.

Theo, thanks for the great legal advice. I thought they could just rip up the paperwork since it was only a couple of hours since I'd signed the documents. I would have believed the sales manager if he told me he'd done that. I now see I was wrong!

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Icy dog, my sympathy, we live quite close by, you probably drove past my subdivision. I just flew north on Saturday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I also sympathize and as someone who travels fairly frequently with a disabled family member with progressively deteriorating mobility, I have learned that ADA compliant doesn't mean one size fits all accessibility for everyone. I think you are lucky to have never run into a similar situation before. I always call to inquire about various requirements we have (some within and some outside of ADA requirements) so we will be prepared and/or can choose alternate accommodations.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Icy dog, my sympathy, we live quite close by, you probably drove past my subdivision. I just flew north on Saturday

It's such a shame because it's a gorgeous resort. Now the GM has staff at every door. So he's trying. The front desk manager followed my scooter back to the elevators, rode with me up to my floor, and opened my door. That was very nice.

I also sympathize and as someone who travels fairly frequently with a disabled family member with progressively deteriorating mobility, I have learned that ADA compliant doesn't mean one size fits all accessibility for everyone. I think you are lucky to have never run into a similar situation before. I always call to inquire about various requirements we have (some within and some outside of ADA requirements) so we will be prepared and/or can choose alternate accommodations.

I'm very, very new to this. I was crying yesterday, as were my traveling companions (a married couple). They felt guilty that they left me alone while they chatted with old friends. Who knew that I could be trapped outside like that? Who would have thought that?

I'm terribly sorry you find yourself in similar situations pretty often. I'm sure it's humiliating for your family member. I wish you only good experiences in your future travels

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We used to travel with my mom
who had difficulty walking and used a scooter at times. Hotels, TSs, and other businesses unfortunately do not always think about accessibility and even just making things easier for the handicapped. I agree the suggestion of calling ahead is a good idea.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to type the rescission letter today. I'll Copy it and mail it out certified mail to the Hyatt Windward Point in Key West today.

Is that what your Hyatt-provided rescission materials clearly instruct? I'm otherwise puzzled why you would mail your rescission correspondence to Hyatt Windward Pointe in Key West if your contract execution was at Hyatt Coconut Plantation (in Bonita Springs) as your initial post in this thread indicates. :shrug:

Last edited:

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
I paid II $1536 for a week's rental here at the Hyatt Residence Club in Bonita Springs, FL.
I went to a sales presentation this morning and actually bought points ...
I'm in a mobility scooter.
Then I realized that I could not get into any of the pools, the restaurants or the bathrooms.
There is NOT one handicapped enabled door here.

The end!

All hotels are required by law to have "pool lifts" to aid the handicapped. We have yet to be at a hotel or resort that did not have at least one (although many times they don't work.) It's amazing that a Hyatt did not have one! I am always with my wife to help open doors, etc. And I have entered women's bathroom's on several occasions when my wife needs assistance (and have always been treated very nicely by the women in the BR.) I am really sorry this happened to you. I ALWAYS call a week or so in advance of check in to confirm our ADA Accessible reservation (although that didn't help at National Harbor last week...)

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is that what your Hyatt-provided rescission materials clearly instruct? I'm otherwise puzzled why you would mail your rescission correspondence to Hyatt Windward Pointe in Key West if your contract execution was at Hyatt Coconut Plantation (in Bonita Springs) as your initial post in this thread indicates. :shrug:
I was surprised by that too but the rescission instructions state to send a letter of cancellation to Hyatt Windward (the actual location of the resort for which I signed the contact). I said In the letter that I wanted to rescind my contract, the contract number was listed in my letter, due to the lack of handicapped accessibility here at Bonita Springs where I'm staying. I said I will never, ever, stay in a Hyatt again because of this.
Should I have added something else beside that (of course I included my information) to make it legal?

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
All hotels are required by law to have "pool lifts" to aid the handicapped. We have yet to be at a hotel or resort that did not have at least one (although many times they don't work.) It's amazing that a Hyatt did not have one! I am always with my wife to help open doors, etc. And I have entered women's bathroom's on several occasions when my wife needs assistance (and have always been treated very nicely by the women in the BR.) I am really sorry this happened to you. I ALWAYS call a week or so in advance of check in to confirm our ADA Accessible reservation (although that didn't help at National Harbor last week...)

It's so weird because there are pool lifts and adequate space for wheelchairs through the bathroom doors. It's just every door, into, or out of, the resort can not be opened or accessed by someone in a mobility scooter. So even if I wanted to use the chair lift in the pool, which I didn't, I couldn't get to the pool at all. All the doors needed someone to open them for me. Since I was alone I was stuck outside (or inside as the case may be)

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My brother in law has had MS for about forty years, and been in a scooter for maybe thirty. What is Almost worse is people deciding he is mentally disabled too, asking someone else what he wants to order in a restaurant, etc

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
My brother in law has had MS for about forty years, and been in a scooter for maybe thirty. What is Almost worse is people deciding he is mentally disabled too, asking someone else what he wants to order in a restaurant, etc

Yep, I know. When I'm on my scooter suddenly people assume I'm invisible, and or stupid, and talk over me.

But your situation is MUCH worse and my heart goes out to you and your brother in law.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
It's so weird because there are pool lifts and adequate space for wheelchairs through the bathroom doors. It's just every door, into, or out of, the resort can not be opened or accessed by someone in a mobility scooter. So even if I wanted to use the chair lift in the pool, which I didn't, I couldn't get to the pool at all. All the doors needed someone to open them for me. Since I was alone I was stuck outside (or inside as the case may be)
Yes, I see!! We never have that issue because I am always with my wife. Now that I think about it, about the opening of doors, not one of the resorts/hotels we have stayed at would have met that criteria. None had remote actuated doors, (front hotel entrance doors excepted), including the room door itself. How do you get in or out of your room? Believe me, I know the challenges you face!!

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I can see how this is a big problem - how do you manage to get around by yourself in your home town?

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This situation is the main reason my wife has never wanted a scooter. In her wheelchair, if she is alone, she can get right up next to doors and manage, with effort, to open them. Scooters present their own set of problems, but they also provide a lot of benefits... It would be really nice if every door in every building was automatic, but no one will spend that kind of money. I'm glad the Hyatt started physically opening doors for you, that was very nice of them.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
...the rescission instructions state to send a letter of cancellation to Hyatt Windward (the actual location of the resort for which I signed the contact). I said In the letter that I wanted to rescind my contract, the contract number was listed in my letter, due to the lack of handicapped accessibility here at Bonita Springs where I'm staying. I said I will never, ever, stay in a Hyatt again because of this.
Should I have added something else beside that (of course I included my information) to make it legal?

All anyone needs to say in any (timely submitted) letter of rescission is "I rescind" (clearly identifying the contract that you are cancelling, of course).
You need not offer any reason or explanation whatsoever in order to cancel; rescission is a indisputable right provided by applicable state law.
You need only follow the rescission instructions to the letter, mail your rescission correspondence to the address indicated, postmarked within the applicable time period identified by the individual state's law (for Florida, that's within 10 days --- among the longest rescission periods in U.S. states, along with Tennessee).

I understand that you were / are at Hyatt Coconut Plantation in Bonita Springs and that is where you have encountered these unfortunate problems.
However, I am puzzled why you would buy (apparently sight unseen) into an entirely different property located several hours and two hundred miles away.
Had you perhaps been to Hyatt Windward Pointe in Key West previously and already knew that property? The two places are certainly not much alike :shrug:

Last edited:

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Terrible situation!!

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't you have to date it too?

Certainly no harm in doing so, but in the final analysis the only date that really matters in the eyes of the law is the postmark date of the rescission.

This makes good sense really, since anyone could type any date they choose on a rescission letter, accurate or not. Actual postmark date rules all.

Last edited: