• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which is better - RCI or II?

Daddyaus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Fairfield Glade
Which exchange program is better?

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Neither is better IMHO, but one usually fits the needs of each individual better then the other. RCI's fee's are to high for me plus I don't feel they have as many quality resorts as II. They manipulate their TPU's i. Their points system and I don't want to have to work that hard to figure out how to get what I want at a cost I'm willing to pay, this we haven't had a personal account with RCI in probably a decade.

II has also started finding new ways to remove cash from my wallet. I still feel like they have a greater number quality resorts or resort groups, although they have fewer resorts than RCI. Still, we'll be dropping our personal II account when our current membership runs out.

Instead of using exchange companies, we prefer to own in systems that provide us with what we want. Granted Marriott utilizes II for "internal" weeks exchanges but, the II account is part of the MVC club membership fees and it's still working well for us.

Ask the same question in another 10 years and the answers will likely be very different. The playing field changes frequently.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Doug said it well. I agree with everything that he said.

Btw, where do you want to go and where do you own? There may be an advantage depending on what you are trading.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Which exchange program is better?

Funny question.

Which is better: All you can eat BBQ or Prime Rib buffet? Depends on what you're looking for and how hungry you are....

Interval has (generally) higher quality properties (Hyatt and Marriott and Westin) and somewhat higher fees.

RCI has MORE properties, including a multitude of international locations and more independent properties. RCI tends to have a lower overall quality IMHO and used to have lower fees and better bargain shopping. That may be changing as fees rise and opportunities lessen. RCI has Disney, HGVC, Wyndham and more.

I like Interval. Unless I want to stay at an HGVC in Scotland; then I like RCI.

Sometimes you feel like a nut....sometimes you don't :)

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
My non-DVC timeshare is dual affiliated and can trade with either but I much prefer II. Unless things have changed considerably, II has lower fees and great quality resorts. II works much better in my case.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
When I was deciding which to join I just browsed through the resort directory for each and chose RCI. I'd like to try II but ATM I don't want to exchange anything. I like what I own :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hekela1206

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
I just realized my property at Bali Hai in Kauai is both RCI and II. I have always been a member of RCI, for 10 plus years. My favorite resort is also at both, Windjammer Landing in St Lucia. I own EOY and own a week which then gets converted into points... with those week points I am able to get a vacation every year and my maintenance fees for my resort is around $800. So ultimately $400 a year on top of the exchange fee...

I would love opinions on if II would be a better option for me? I live in Detroit and haven't been to my home resort as an owner ever! The flight is long and expensive along with the time change. I really love the Caribbean too, its quicker and cheaper, but I do love Kauai! I would love to buy into Windjammer but I have not seen much out there for that property.
Any honest opinions to get the best deals would be greatly appreciated!

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Which cars are better ?

Honda or Toyota ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
When we purchased we had no choice, it was RCI. But personally I prefer doing business with Trading Places Maui. Much more pleasant to deal with. No upfront fees, you aren't charged until an exchange is confirmed. No fees since we own at Maui Hill. Much smaller inventory, but works for us as we use our week to trade back into Maui Hill at a different time than when we own.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel TUG website did a good job in comparing RCI & I I and all the major timeshare companies from Marriott, Hilton, Wyndham, Shell, Bluegreen, Diamond, Holiday Inn and Hyatt on their spread sheet.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel TUG website did a good job in comparing RCI & I I and all the major timeshare companies from Marriott, Hilton, Wyndham, Shell, Bluegreen, Diamond, Holiday Inn and Hyatt on their spread sheet.
Can you link the spreadsheet please??

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I've used RCI most, but have II now and Trading Places and Dial an Exchange too. We have 6 weeks of timeshare and they are all different locations. We bought resale and in places we enjoy going. Using Marketplace too has been easy to exchange. Have an exchange coming up in September, for a May week. Everything is on track.
Silentg

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
It did not jump out at me where you like to travel. ii and RCi cover somewhat different areas. So when you ask which is better, you need to explain where you typically like to travel.

In general - - ii has more high quality resorts. RCI has more resorts. Wyndham also has a lot of resorts (not of which are 5 star IIRC).

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I prefer II over RCI. I have found I get much better trades for my high demand area weeks with RCI. You can try II one year and see how it works for you.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

lobsterlover

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought 2 Windjammer resale weeks. I bought when they were affiliated with RCI. I love it! If you can long range plan you can book back in pretty much any week except xmas sometimes upgrading to a larger villa. The only exchanges I have done are Disney and you can easily get The Crane when you own WJ. I tried Interval once thinking I could exchange to a Marriott and was deeply disappointed when I found out I couldn't get any Marriott, Starwood etc. All I got for my beautiful WJ villa was a 2* in Grand Cayman. BUT I kept my membership with 2 because I can purchase an extra (or whatever its called) week at WJ for pretty much what maintenance fees cost...8 or 9 hundred. I also was able to purchase a new years week for Sunshine Suites Caymans for $1000. Pretty stoked about that.
If I were you I would rent from an owner. It is a huge aging population of owners now and rentals are becoming more and more available for maintenance fee prices.