• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
I really don't know where to post this, but between being a quick reference for the original Lahaina/Napili pricing and knowing now what happened in 2008, and the folks posting didn't, it's really an interesting read, and look in the rear-view mirror.
(5% money market interest anyone. ;-)

http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/maui-purchase-and-pricing-questions.60222/

GaryDouglas>>>
Napili Villas (2 bedroom):
OF week 51 - $78K, week 52 - $91K
IV (Floating) - $44,900, week 51 - $50K, week 52 - $57K

2 and 3 bedroom fixed weeks (OF) were going from $52,900 to $162,300.

These prices were effective 11/23/07.

The last thing I heard, 2 bedroom OF floating (Napili and Lahaina) were going for $71,900.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I really don't know where to post this, but between being a quick reference for the original Lahaina/Napili pricing and knowing now what happened in 2008, and the folks posting didn't, it's really an interesting read, and look in the rear-view mirror.
(5% money market interest anyone. ;-)

http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/maui-purchase-and-pricing-questions.60222/

GaryDouglas>>>
Napili Villas (2 bedroom):
OF week 51 - $78K, week 52 - $91K
IV (Floating) - $44,900, week 51 - $50K, week 52 - $57K

2 and 3 bedroom fixed weeks (OF) were going from $52,900 to $162,300.

These prices were effective 11/23/07.

The last thing I heard, 2 bedroom OF floating (Napili and Lahaina) were going for $71,900.

That is interesting to read, especially my own words almost 10 years ago? I'm happy to say that I think I got it right, and I would write the check again....

Thx for posting this!

Best,

Greg

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
It was so enlightening, particularly as many of the folks I've relied on for guidance in the last month were participating in that, 10 year old thread. The numbers may change, but the stories seem to stay the same.

(iConnections/Emmy has shared lots of great info via PMs, so reading about her husband's stroke that year was heartfelt....and they are both on Maui enjoying things now, which is great.)

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes very interesting to look back 10 years. We owned 4 Marriotts all bought direct from Marriott by 2007. Now with 24 Marriotts, the rest bought via resale with the knowledge learned through TUG it's amazing how our plans worked as we imagined they would. However with all the success we've had buying and renting Marriotts from Maui to Aruba BY FAR the best part of the experience has been these fabulous family vacations we've taken since my kids were 3 & 1. July 2018 will be our 7th trip to Maui as a family since 2002. No way that happens if we didn't take the leap into Msrriott TSs.

ahdah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's SurfWatch Brewster Green Marriott's SurfWatch
[ROFR passed on 3BR summer platinum at a Timber Lodge]

I have added it to ROFR page. We are so happy! Members helped a few weeks ago about going for the 3 bedroom in the summer at TL. It will be used by my children, daughter lives about 3 hours away. (son in NC with children starting college)
If anyone has a 3 bedroom summer platinum, how difficult to reserve 12 months out.....hope we don't have to worry about that.
It passed in about 12 days. I bought it on RedWeek for $8500.
Thanks for everyone's help!

[Thread merged with ongoing ROFR Activity sticky thread.]

Last edited by a moderator:

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Congrats! I was hoping to hear how things went with your purchase. You got a great deal on a 3BR unit. Tahoe is very active and fun during the summer months. I know you and your family will love the resort.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
If anyone has a 3 bedroom summer platinum, how difficult to reserve 12 months out.....hope we don't have to worry about that.
Late July and early August are the busiest periods during the summer season. If you are reserving right at the 12 month mark, I think you will be fine.

ahdah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Congrats! I was hoping to hear how things went with your purchase. You got a great deal on a 3BR unit. Tahoe is very active and fun during the summer months. I know you and your family will love the resort.
Thanks for helping me the last time. Everyone is so excited, especially her children.(young adults)

ahdah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Late July and early August are the busiest periods during the summer season. If you are reserving right at the 12 month mark, I think you will be fine.
We will be ready at 9 o'clock! Thanks!

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just failed on a Club Son Antem gold week .... Admittedly only at $2.25.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think the platinum EOY Willow Ridge's are easier to pass ROFR than the annuals?
Just received notification my eoy even platinum week passed at $10 with seller paying closing. A bit surprised, but ill take it.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

I just passed ROFR on another 10206 room (Week 22), that is contiguous to my Weeks 23 and 24. It cleared at $35K and I will add it to the database.

Best,

Greg

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
All,

I just passed ROFR on another 10206 room (Week 22), that is contiguous to my Weeks 23 and 24. It cleared at $35K and I will add it to the database.

Best,

Greg

Greg, congratulations on that nice pick up. Three consecutive weeks will make for a great long stay.

Best regards.

Mike

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
I just passed ROFR on another 10206 room (Week 22), that is contiguous to my Weeks 23 and 24.
Does this mean that you have purchased fixed units/fixed weeks for weeks 22, 23, and 24?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are all three fixed weeks for the exact same unit, or do you have to change units each week?
Yes, I have three fixed weeks in the same unit (10206) for weeks 22-24, and then I have a different unit (6206) for week 25. My goal had been to construct weeks 22-25 in my 6206 unit but 6206/24 wouldn't sell to me so I had to pursue 10206 for weeks 22-24. I think I am done for now :)

Best,

Greg

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Yes, I have three fixed weeks in the same unit (10206) for weeks 22-24, and then I have a different unit (6206) for week 25. My goal had been to construct weeks 22-25 in my 6206 unit but 6206/24 wouldn't sell to me so I had to pursue 10206 for weeks 22-24. I think I am done for now :)
You don't want to get week 25 in 10206?
I am not familiar with the room numbers. Are these Lahaina tower ocean front?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You don't want to get week 25 in 10206?
I am not familiar with the room numbers. Are these Lahaina tower ocean front?

Yes, these are the 10th floor 3BR units in Lahaina Tower. I love that tower and think the 3BR units rock.

I do want to buy Week 25 as well one day and have located the owner and reached out to them. They own both Week 25 and Week 26 and are in no hurry to sell (which is fine with me -- wife just rolled her eyes when I proposed the Week 22 purchase).

The problem with fixed weeks is that they are difficult to string together unless you purchase directly from the developer. And if you own a specific unit like mine and the adjacent week comes available for purchase, you almost have to buy it now or it is probably gone forever. I'd found the owner of 10206 Weeks 22/23/24 back in 2011 and we just stayed in touch over time. He was a little ambitious in his asking price and finally came down to my ballpark in 2015.

We will see what comes next.

Best,

Greg

taffy19

Reaction score
All,

Best,

Greg
Congratulations, Greg. Not having to move is really so nice and it should feel more like occupying your own condo in Maui. By the time you retire, you may own several months at the Lahaina tower. We love this tower too. :)

Last edited:

Dave Ramos

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
*** 5/1/16 - This link to the current, active ROFR database is added with the OP's permission: ROFR Experiences (www.rofr.net) ***

All,

I have had a few PMs asking me to compute ROFR metrics for various offers, which I am happy to do, and also asking for the history of this unofficial metric. The following thread is where we collected the data (such as it is).

I've taken the Points Value spreadsheet that TUGgers helped compile a couple of years back, and computed the ROFR metric for all weeks.

Accordingly, the attached is a hypothetical price of what should clear ROFR, if the metric can predict a ROFR exercise.

Please note, this approach is imperfect and I would hate to see a TUGger increase their bid based solely on this -- please make an offer price of what the week is worth to you. And please consult with a broker on what has been passing ROFR lately, they will have the most current information.

Anyone can compute their own ROFR metric:

1) Start with the DC Points that the underlying week is worth (example: 3,000 DC Points)
2) Multiply #1 by $10 per point (representing how much Marriott can sell the related points for if they ROFR it and deposit to the Trust -- example: 3,000 * $10/point = $30,000)
3) Take your Offer Price ($5,000?) and divide it by the result of #2 (example: $5,000 / $30,000 = 16.6%)
4) The resulting percentage will likely be between 5% - 35%.

My theory is that weeks where #4 is less than 23% have a greater probability of not passing ROFR than if #4 is greater than 23%. It is based on the linked thread up above.

I welcome comments, corrections and more recent data. Good luck!

Best,

Greg

Interesting update for Hawaii timeshare owners -- I just spoke to timeshare closing company today. According to them, Hawaii passed new regulations that requires companies collecting escrow to post $100k CASH bond with the State. Regretfully, I won't be able to use this low-cost timeshare closings company because they don't generate the business to support that type of expense. Anyone able to confirm this?