• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham alignment of use years

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Here is what they did and why I feel shorted.

I had use years ending in March and September. In November, 2017, they moved my use years to Jan 1 to Dec 31. Points expiring Mar 2018 were extended to Dec 2018. Points expiring Sep 2018 were extended to Dec 2018. No proration - just extension of the expiration dates on a nominal amount of points.

When the end of year maintenance ran and new points were allocated I received:
* 1,623,000 points for Jan 1, 2019 to Dec 31, 2019 (reflecting my new use year).

Had my account not been realigned, when the year end maintenance ran, I would have received:
* 1,427,000 points for April 1, 2018 to Mar 31, 2019
* 196,000 points for Oct 1, 2018 to Sep 30, 2019

This leaves me without the ability to ARP for really important things (for example our August 2018 family vacation at Daytona Beach - thanksgiving or Christmas at Bonnet Creek 2018 or cherry blossoms in Washington DC in April 2018. The reasons we have the contracts we do.

I feel I was shorted about 75% of my points for a year - my understanding (and confirmed by several posts) for others whose use year was realigned is that they received prorated points - I did not.

I have called twice about this. They've opened causes and requested audits. For some reason they think credit pooling affected the number of point available. And they come back and say they have determined I am not missing any points.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
For some reason they think credit pooling affected the number of point available. And they come back and say they have determined I am not missing any points.
If it is any consolation, the audit is accurate, and you received all the points for which you will pay maintenance fees. The contract realignment delayed the award of the points. The 1,427,000 points for April 1, 2018 to Mar 31, 2019 was awarded for Jan 1, 2019 to Dec 31, 2019 and the 196,000 points for Oct 1, 2018 to Sep 30, 2019 was awarded for Jan 1, 2019 to Dec 31, 2019.

If you sell these contracts after January 1, 2018 with no points available in the then current January Use Year, you will have received and used all the points for which you paid maintenance fees.

It is relative, though. When the mass Use Year realignment occurred a few years ago, "prorated" points were awarded according to how many months any contract was moved forward. If these owners sell their January Use Year contracts with no points remaining in the then current Use Year, then relative to you, the "prorated" points they received were "extra" points that you did not receive.

These "extra" points are not extra points out of thin air. Technically, from a strict audit perspective, the "prorated" points should be carried forward and available to the new owner when the January Use Year contracts are sold. The new owner, though, does not know these contract were ever anything other than January Use Years, so owners who received "prorated" points and use them before selling, reap the bonus.

From a strict audit perspective, your points awards are correct.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
I sold a contract that transferred out of my account yesterday. Apparently they decided that was a good time to move my single March UY ahead to December. It's a 154,000 point contract, so it would appear that I will pay 9 months of fees for 115,500 points I don't get (April 1st 2018 through December 31st 2018).

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sold a contract that transferred out of my account yesterday. Apparently they decided that was a good time to move my single March UY ahead to December. It's a 154,000 point contract, so it would appear that I will pay 9 months of fees for 115,500 points I don't get (April 1st 2018 through December 31st 2018).
It depends.

If you sell your contract after January 1, 2019 so that it transfers before April 1 of any given year, and there are no remaining points in the then current January use year, then the new owner will pay the 9 months of fees. If you sell it and it transfers by July 1, you will have paid for 38,000 points not used; transfers by October 1 - 77,000 not used; and by Jan 1 the following year -- 115,500 points not used.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It depends.

If you sell your contract after January 1, 2019 so that it transfers before April 1 of any given year, and there are no remaining points in the then current January use year, then the new owner will pay the 9 months of fees. If you sell it and it transfers by July 1, you will have paid for 38,000 points not used; transfers by October 1 - 77,000 not used; and by Jan 1 the following year -- 115,500 points not used.

Well, I just got an email from them about it, and it says they will be giving me the prorated points to use:

"Dear CLUB WYNDHAM® Plus Member:

We hope you have some exciting vacations planned this year and are enjoying the many benefits of your CLUB WYNDHAM Plus membership. In our ongoing effort to simplify your vacation planning experience and to better serve you, we would like to inform you of a change to the Use Year of your CLUB WYNDHAM® Plus contract(s) that will take effect beginning April 20, 2017.

Your membership has been identified as having at least two contracts with different Use Years, meaning your Points begin and expire at different times throughout the year. To improve the clarity of your account, we have begun the process of consolidating your contracts to have the same Use Year. Your Use Year will now be: January 1 to December 31.

According to the CLUB WYNDHAM Plus Trust, all contracts must have one of four Use Years as explained below:

11.02 Use Year. All Members shall be assigned a "Use Year" which determines the expiration date of such Member's Points for that particular year. Each Member shall have as the end date of his "Use Year" one of the following four quarterly dates: March 31, June 30, September 30 or December 31.

With this change, you will experience the benefit of having more time to use the Points associated with the adjusted contract(s). However, we recognize that moving your Use Year end date to a later quarter may result in a delay to the start date of these Points. As a result, we are pleased to provide you with a one-time additional allocation of Points at no cost. The amount of Points awarded for each adjusted contract is based upon how many quarters your Use Year will be moved, as well as the value of Points owned on that contract.

Because your contract(s) will be moved three quarter(s), you will receive an additional allocation of 75% of your annual Points associated with the changed contract(s)."​

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it is any consolation, the audit is accurate, and you received all the points for which you will pay maintenance fees. The contract realignment delayed the award of the points. The 1,427,000 points for April 1, 2018 to Mar 31, 2019 was awarded for Jan 1, 2019 to Dec 31, 2019 and the 196,000 points for Oct 1, 2018 to Sep 30, 2019 was awarded for Jan 1, 2019 to Dec 31, 2019.

If you sell these contracts after January 1, 2018 with no points available in the then current January Use Year, you will have received and used all the points for which you paid maintenance fees.

It is relative, though. When the mass Use Year realignment occurred a few years ago, "prorated" points were awarded according to how many months any contract was moved forward. If these owners sell their January Use Year contracts with no points remaining in the then current Use Year, then relative to you, the "prorated" points they received were "extra" points that you did not receive.

These "extra" points are not extra points out of thin air. Technically, from a strict audit perspective, the "prorated" points should be carried forward and available to the new owner when the January Use Year contracts are sold. The new owner, though, does not know these contract were ever anything other than January Use Years, so owners who received "prorated" points and use them before selling, reap the bonus.

From a strict audit perspective, your points awards are correct.

For the points will be forever delayed. Hence the owner or future owner is paying for points will never receive.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I just got an email from them about it, adn it says they will be giving me the prorated points to use:
That is good news for anyone affected.

It would be better if Wyndham were consistent with awarding prorated points, because now there are owners who received prorated points a few years ago, and again now; and some owners who did not receive prorated points in between times.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They moved my April 2018-March 2019 points to December 2019. They put 115,500 points in my account expiring December 2017. At this point it's unlikely I will use those, so I'm going to contact them to see if they will change it to December 2018, otherwise I'll likely have to dump them to RCI.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham

It would be better if Wyndham were consistent with awarding prorated points, because now there are owners who received prorated points a few years ago, and again now; and some owners who did not receive prorated points in between times.

Thanks for all your comments. That's my rub. I'm happy for those that have gotten the points. It's very frustrating that I can't get my point across to Owner Care. It seems pretty simple and straight forward to me. Enough that I have "risked" having 2 point audits to no avail.

I think the vast majority have gotten prorated points (as they should :)).

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
My advice remains the same for multi Use Years. If Wyndham does not align an owner's contracts, now, call it in and get the prorated points.

If contracts are added in the future with Use Years than do not match the aligned Use Year, call it in at a time that will advance the award of points, instead of waiting for Wyndham to align at a time that delays the points award(s), and hope for the best outcome.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
My advice remains the same for multi Use Years. If Wyndham does not align an owner's contracts, now, call it in and get the prorated points.

If contracts are added in the future with Use Years than do not match the aligned Use Year, call it in at a time that will advance the award of points, instead of waiting for Wyndham to align at a time that delays the points award(s), and hope for the best outcome.

I had an odd situation. One of my contracts was a Sep-Oct converted week. Which wasn't supposed to ever be. Converted weeks are supposed to have a Jan-Dec use year. When they did the major realignment of points, they didn't know what to do with it. I really don't know why it baffled them so, but it hung up getting my contracts realigned during the mass realignment.

I had several discussions with them, I have an email saying they were doing it (and prorating). But it never happened. I had subsequent calls as well. And if I requested the realignment (after being passed over) they were not going to prorate my points. So I left things as they were, hoping that if and when they ever initiated another realignment, I would get the prorated points.

It happened in November and I didn't get prorated points. And so it goes...

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
They moved my April 2018-March 2019 points to December 2019. They put 115,500 points in my account expiring December 2017. At this point it's unlikely I will use those, so I'm going to contact them to see if they will change it to December 2018, otherwise I'll likely have to dump them to RCI.

Exact same scenario happened to me; they wouldn't budge on moving the points to '18.

DTKENT1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shore Crest x2
The Links x2
Grandview vegas x2
Williamsburg plantation x1
Seawatch Plantation 329k
I had an odd situation. One of my contracts was a Sep-Oct converted week. Which wasn't supposed to ever be. Converted weeks are supposed to have a Jan-Dec use year. When they did the major realignment of points, they didn't know what to do with it. I really don't know why it baffled them so, but it hung up getting my contracts realigned during the mass realignment.

I had several discussions with them, I have an email saying they were doing it (and prorating). But it never happened. I had subsequent calls as well. And if I requested the realignment (after being passed over) they were not going to prorate my points. So I left things as they were, hoping that if and when they ever initiated another realignment, I would get the prorated points.

It happened in November and I didn't get prorated points. And so it goes...
Hi there.

Did you ever get your points? I know it's been several years but just curious I'm in a similar boat and was just yelled at by the rep on the phone cause it was the end if her shift and I was dragging it out. I just want my fair share that's all.