• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kauai Beach Villas - Any changes so far?

cdn_traveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, KBV, Raintree
No. Wyndham still owns the concierges who are still in charge of wifi codes and parking passes.
Thanks for the update. I'm really, really hoping that they will be gone by March!

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Thanks for the update. I'm really, really hoping that they will be gone by March!

Not likely. A lot of the units are in Wyndham points, and Wyndham owns the clubhouse, so Grand Pacific has to pay rent for the use of it. And Wyndham wants people to go to the timeshare sales presentation.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
How does Wyndham own the clubhouse?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Here's a wrinkle since Grand Pacific took over management at Kauai Beach Villas:

Last November I sold my week at KBV to a new owner. We used LTT for the transfer, everything went through as expected, and the new deed was recorded December 21, 2016. GPR was informed of the new owner, and they've got their names in place on things, or so I thought: I was just informed today that Wyndham denies ever getting the transfer paperwork, (claiming it takes up to three months to transfer an ownership), and Grand Pacific is demanding the entire process be done over again - including paying their $595 transfer fee. :eek:

Needless to say, I'll be making some phone calls on Monday...

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Here's a wrinkle since Grand Pacific took over management at Kauai Beach Villas:

Last November I sold my week at KBV to a new owner. We used LTT for the transfer, everything went through as expected, and the new deed was recorded December 21, 2016. GPR was informed of the new owner, and they've got their names in place on things, or so I thought: I was just informed today that Wyndham denies ever getting the transfer paperwork, (claiming it takes up to three months to transfer an ownership), and Grand Pacific is demanding the entire process be done over again - including paying their $595 transfer fee. :eek:

Needless to say, I'll be making some phone calls on Monday...

Dave

Problem is resolved. I spoke to GPR's title department, and they agreed Wyndham dropped the ball on the transfer. I provided them a copy of the transfer docs, and they switched things to the new owner's names. So we're good to go. :thumbup:

Dave

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Problem is resolved. I spoke to GPR's title department, and they agreed Wyndham dropped the ball on the transfer. I provided them a copy of the transfer docs, and they switched things to the new owner's names. So we're good to go. :thumbup:

Dave

Glad to hear this, Dave.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Glad to hear this, Dave.

It was a bit of a surprise, I must say, to get an email all these months later from LTT saying, "Um, Houston, we have a problem..." I was told by the new owner that they were all set back in January. I knew the new deed was recorded, but had no idea things hadn't transferred at the resort level. So to GPR's credit, they did step up and make the switch to the new owners within a couple of minutes, once I showed them the paperwork. GPR says Wyndham has done this to them on a number of transfers at KBV. They said it was like they just pulled the plug, and stopped doing things a fair ways before the transfer of management happened. I can't say I'm all that surprised.

I'm glad it's resolved, and happy the new owners can schedule their week.

Dave

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I am reminded of the joke about the new manager who is hired and in his office desk drawer finds three envelopes marked "Open in case of Trouble".

Later that week he hits a problem he can't solve and opens the first envelope. It reads "Tell them you just got here, but you are on the case and will work hard to get to it solved".

Later that month, the problem still exists, so he opens the 2nd envelope. it reads "Tell them your predecessor was the problem, but it has your full attention and will resolved as soon as possible."

A month later the problem still exists, so he opens the 3rd envelope. It reads "Prepare three envelopes...."

I write this in the context of the email I just received from a KBV BoD member asking for my vote. Where she writes that the new mgt co was selected (in part) on the basis of offering to setup a resale program using the HOA's inventory of unsold weeks, but instead has bought them and dumped the weeks into their system. Certainly adhering to the letter of their obligation, but perhaps not the spirit of what the BoD expected. Anyone have any additional insight on this?

Last edited:

Dalownerx3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused. Are you Trish Harrington or Ron Parise (as per your signature line)? I only see Trish Harrington listed as a candidate

Last edited by a moderator:

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Aloha,
Our 2018 reservation request for multiple sequential weeks in the same month was processed by Wyndham before the hand off to Grand Pacific.
By now, I imagine some tuggers owning multiple KBV weeks have made reservations with GPR following guidelines posted at https://grandpacificresorts.com/own...reserve-use/resorts-forms/kauai-beach-villas/
How did you do it? What was the outcome when GPR responded (a couple of months later?)?
Mahalo,
Jack

armrecsys

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am here at Kauai beach villas, my daughter went to the Wyndham sells pitch. She said they offered serval different packages all for points. The sale persons, all three were not hard on them at all.

The pool had to be drained , I don't know why. Beautiful sun sets. I am in G1 everything in good order, except the front door hard to close. The door needs to be replaced.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
By now, I imagine some tuggers owning multiple KBV weeks have made reservations with GPR following guidelines posted at https://grandpacificresorts.com/own...reserve-use/resorts-forms/kauai-beach-villas/
How did you do it? What was the outcome when GPR responded (a couple of months later?)?
Mahalo,
Jack

Submitting their form is way too slow and cumbersome for me - I've been calling. I called yesterday and made 9 reservations and my first GPR deposit. Got all caught up until 2019. GPR has each of my deeds in a different account, which makes it even slower, so it took more than an hour, but the Rep was helpful and patient.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Submitting their form is way too slow and cumbersome for me - I've been calling. I called yesterday and made 9 reservations and my first GPR deposit. Got all caught up until 2019. GPR has each of my deeds in a different account, which makes it even slower, so it took more than an hour, but the Rep was helpful and patient.
Aloha Denise,
50K and growing. Wow. Congrats.
Were any of your requests between 14 and 16 (or more) months ahead?
If so, did the phone rep confirm reservations more than 14 months ahead?
Mahalo,
Jack

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi Jack - Thanks!

They were not: 2 were for 2017 (New Years), and 7 were for June and July 2018, but I was able to confirm specific units.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas, Samoset Resort (in ME), The Harborside Inn (Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA)
I recently made my reservation for next November via phone with Grand Pacific. The representative didn't have on hand a list of which units were available for which check-in days. I called KBV itself to get clarification.

Interestingly, given the relative bare bones experience of KBV when there is no use of the pools next door, I stayed at an even more bare bones resort in the south of Spain in Mijas Costa, the Las Mimosas Beach Club. The 1BR units are quite a bit smaller than the 1BR units at KBV, but all look onto the water. That resort was at least designed properly with their pool on the side facing the water. There is a secure exit from that side to the boardwalk. Like the oceanfront units at KBV, you can easily see and hear the waves from the balcony. The balconies aren't as spacious as to those at KBV.

If you think that the units at KBV need updating, you need to see the ones at Las Mimosas Beach Club. Furnishings are not as of high quality, but at least they're clean. There is no phone in the room, so inter-unit contact or even contact with the office is impossible unless you use your cellphone; and cellphone use for those in the US who are in Spain can be quite expensive. The office, which is open between 10-6, can be reached via text or email, but response can be slow. Still, a mother/son who manage the office, are cheerful and helpful once reached.

As at KBV (and most older resorts), there are no elevators. There is a clothewasher but only a drying rack, to be used on the balcony. But opening it up there crowds up the balcony.

There are NO resort activities other than the pool. The grounds are large and nicely landscaped, but not as large as at KBV.

And the cost of living in southern Spain is FAR cheaper. We were getting freshly made gazspacho at one of the chirenguitos, the beach bar/restaurants that spot the boardwalk, for 2 euros. Glasses of good Spanish wine were about 3 euros, and bottles were about 13 euros. Five large sardines (about 5" long each), grilled on a spit over a wood fire pit cost about 5 euros. The food was so good in Spain and so inexpensive that we largely eschewed eating in.

I bring this up because the bare bones resort with a superb location has a maintenance fee of about $300. The owners like to keep it that way. But for those of us used to a bit more pampering and nicer amenities and furnishings would find the unit and lack of resort activities a bit wanting. Hawaii, of course, is a MUCH more expensive proposition. Pretty much EVERYTHING needs to be imported across a whole sea of water, unlike Spain, which has easy access to countries surrounding it. I was surprised as to both the quality of our Spain vacation (the 2 resorts we stayed at were fine, but I'm referring to our exploration of southern Spain) and how inexpensive it was. From the east coast, our roundtrip flight was just over $500 each. And with our accommodations for the 2 weeks already paid for (aside from the electricity surcharge that exchangers pay), it was just the cost of eating, rental car (pretty cheap, too -- about $110/wk not counting gas), and other purchases. Outstanding.

The KBV's interior timeshare units do need some updating, but I can tell you that they feel more luxurious than those at the Las Mimosas Beach Resort. And Grand Pacific, operating the resort with a surplus in funding for the first time in many, many years, is starting to have the money to update units as well as implement some resort activities so that the KBV resort feels like, well, a resort. I still love coming to KBV. We have an oceanfront unit, and being at the beach at sunrise is awe inspiring. Probably my favorite spot on the island.

Jeff

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Jeff - All of the furniture, window coverings, floor coverings, and paint were replaced at KBV just 3 years ago, so are you suggesting that it needs major renovations requiring construction? That would cost big bucks and I would be opposed to it.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas, Samoset Resort (in ME), The Harborside Inn (Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA)
Hi Jeff - All of the furniture, window coverings, and floor coverings were replaced at KBV just 3 years ago, so are you suggesting that is needs major renovations requiring construction? That would cost big bucks and I would be opposed to it.

No, not the construction. The furnishings, the air conditioning.

I have gotten the impression that some, if not all of the units would be getting an upgrade in the quality of the furnishings. I'm not in charge, though. If you have read the KBV Yahoo Users Group page, there have been several owners who are anticipating an updating of the units. I do know that they're looking to update the air conditioning, at least to put more than the current ones that are only in the bedrooms.

Jeff

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The furnishings were just replaced 3 years ago. I am opposed to replacing them outside of the regular refurbishment cycle, because this would require an increase in MF. We love KBV and own 7 weeks there, but it is already at the point where renting there is cheaper than owning.

I had about a 30 min. meeting with the General Manager in August, and specifically ask about 2018 refurbishment plans, and he did not mention any furniture replacement. He did discuss soft goods, like more contemporary bedding, and air conditioning. He has a model unit set up with the soft goods, but it was occupied while we were there and we didn't get to see it.

*Not sure if you received my email about this, but although I registered for your Yahoo group and I am recieving the emails, I am not able to log-in to the Yahoo page.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The furnishings were just replaced 3 years ago. I am opposed to replacing them outside of the regular refurbishment cycle, because this would require an increase in MF. We love KBV and own 7 weeks there, but it is already at the point where renting there is cheaper than owning.

I had about a 30 min. meeting with the General Manager in August, and specifically ask about 2018 refurbishment plans, and he did not mention any furniture replacement. He did discuss soft goods, like more contemporary bedding, and air conditioning. He has a model unit set up with the soft goods, but it was occupied while we were there and we didn't get to see it.

*Not sure if you received my email about this, but although I registered for your Yahoo group and I am recieving the emails, I am not able to log-in to the Yahoo page.

Do you have a Yahoo account, Denise? I apologize, but I'm not a Yahoo expert. I know that you don't need to have a Yahoo account to access the group, at least the emails. But to access at the Yahoo page, you might need to be logged into Yahoo as well. I think. :oops:

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I put it up on our Yahoo page, but for those who aren't part of that, I want to put out a caveat with regard to the email sent out allegedly by Kauai Beach Villas and Grand Pacific regarding the opportunity to get an extra 7 day vacation deposited into our RCI account for the lowly price of $449. Details of that promo are sparse. In fine print on the email, note that the week is subject to the standard RCI exchange fee, so tack on another roughly $200 to the cost of that week.

But are there any other limitations? Are you getting a 1BR week? A 2BR? A studio? Since KBV is a RCI Points resort, are you getting the full KBV value points for the week, equivalent to depositing your own KBV week into the system? Don't know. And neither did the Grand Pacific Resorts representative at the end of the line of their GPVS phone number, the number on the email that we are supposed to call to complete the transaction. The representative told me that he had no information (He didn't even know if there'd be an exchange fee tacked on - there is). He told me if I wanted more information, I should contact RCI. On my email, the only mention of RCI is that the promotion was a collaboration of Grand Pacific Resorts and RCI. There's no RCI contact number, nor suggestion that further questions be directed to RCI. In fact, there is an email address in the original email where you can direct your questions and it's an GP address.

So that's disappointing customer service, but clearly, there's surely a lot more than meets the eye. Make sure you ask questions and get them answered before you purchase this deal.

Oh, and I contacted someone higher up at Grand Pacific. The rep should have known the answers, and he should not have redirected me to RCI. So perhaps there was a breakdown in communication in terms of getting the reps the information, but the 888-477-6967 is supposed to be a one-call place for us to ask our questions, make suggestions (with which the rep is supposed to forward to the proper person) including those to the Board of Directors, etc. If he didn't know, he should have promised to find out and get back to me. That would have been the proper response, in my opinion (having also been a customer service rep in my distant past).

So buyer beware.

Jeff

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Okay, here's the scoop on the offer. It actually seems to be a very good offer, one my wife and I might take advantage of ourselves.

The offer is to deposit a Week's point value of 20 TPU, equivalent to a, I believe, a 1BR high season unit at KBV. I'm a Points Resort member, and the Points system is different than the weeks system (Our 2BR is worth 90,000 Points). But apparently, this is quite high in the Weeks system. So if paying $449 plus the $219 for a Weeks exchange fee is worth a 20TPU week you can get for $668 (including the exchange fee), then go for it.
Kelly Brady-Snyder, in the Grand Pacific Vacation Services department, called me back and we worked out the concerns, including the details of the offer, as well as ways that the customer service rep could have responded better.

So, I'd be happy if anyone in the RCI Weeks Member program could confirm the value of this, those in the Points system, including me, would appreciate it.
I hope this is helpful.

Jeff

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
20 is not high in the weeks system - the maximum value in the weeks system is 60.

IMNSHO - they should just offer the weeks to owners for rent at a discounted price.