• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa

mark201235

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Was thinking of getting one of these cards for the 50K points that come with it (after initial spending). We fly SW a time or two per year and routinely look for and book the cheapest "wanna get away" fares. Recently booked $64 each way PHL-DEN in January and $64-$92 BWI-FLL last week. My question is are the $$$ fares generally proportionate to the points fares? I ask because it looks like one could get a $500 SW gift card for the 50K points. Wasn't sure if that would be a better way or if it would work out better booking strictly with points.

Thanks,
Mark

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Hi,

Was thinking of getting one of these cards for the 50K points that come with it (after initial spending). We fly SW a time or two per year and routinely look for and book the cheapest "wanna get away" fares. Recently booked $64 each way PHL-DEN in January and $64-$92 BWI-FLL last week. My question is are the $$$ fares generally proportionate to the points fares? I ask because it looks like one could get a $500 SW gift card for the 50K points. Wasn't sure if that would be a better way or if it would work out better booking strictly with points.

Thanks,
Mark

Typically 70 rapid reward points = $1.00

So a point is worth .01428 cents. The 50K sign up bonus is about $714.29 in free air fare. You state WE both you and your spouse can get the sign up bonus. To maximize points if you sign up then refer the other you will get a bonus 5000 points for the referral also.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Check Flyer Talk for more detailed information.

I have that credit card and have made good use of it.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Having 110,000 points in one year qualifies you for a free companion pass for the remainder of the year you qualify in plus 100% of the next calendar year. If you get two cards and do the minimum required spending for each card, you'll be very close to qualifying for the companion pass. The Southwest Companion Pass is the best deal out there: free flying for one person (when you use the points you have--for which you paid nothing--or when you pay money) for at least a year + whatever portion of the year remains in the year you qualify.

If you decide to do it, DO NOT put your spouse as a signer on either SouthWest card. You will, no doubt want your spouse to apply for the same deal when your companion pass status is due to expire--and that won't be possible if the spouse has been able to sign on the card(s) you have.

mark201235

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having 110,000 points in one year qualifies you for a free companion pass for the remainder of the year you qualify in plus 100% of the next calendar year. If you get two cards and do the minimum required spending for each card, you'll be very close to qualifying for the companion pass. The Southwest Companion Pass is the best deal out there: free flying for one person (when you use the points you have--for which you paid nothing--or when you pay money) for at least a year + whatever portion of the year remains in the year you qualify.

If you decide to do it, DO NOT put your spouse as a signer on either SouthWest card. You will, no doubt want your spouse to apply for the same deal when your companion pass status is due to expire--and that won't be possible if the spouse has been able to sign on the card(s) you have.
  1. I was just talking to a friend the other day that mentioned that he signed up for both a personal and business card some time ago. He doesn't own a business and said he simply inserted his name under business name. Approved for both. So, if this is possible it looks like that would be the 110K (50K personal & 60K business) necessary for the companion pass after initial spending of $5K ($2K personal & $3K business). Is this correct? Also, would I just list my rapid rewards number on both applications? I wasn't thinking about the companion pass in the beginning but it looks like a great deal.
Mark

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau

How do you get two cards? It used to be easy but most banks now require business information to issue a business card.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I never had a business card, but I frequent the FT SW forum and there is plenty of mention of it there for non business owners. You can also apply for their plus and premium personal cards in order to get 2 for the same person.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Nice feature of SWA is no charge for changing reservations. Also, reward points used for canceled SWA tickets go back into your reward points account. Money paid for canceled SWA tickets remains available for re-use (to buy more SWA tickets) for 1 year from the date the canceled ticket was purchased. Other airlines charge major money for changing reservations -- so much that sometimes it's cheaper to let canceled tickets go by the board than to pay the fee for changing reservations. SWA's baggage policy is also convenient -- 2 free checked bags per ticket, plus 1 carry-on & 1 personal item per passenger.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
How do you get two cards? It used to be easy but most banks now require business information to issue a business card.
Separate his & hers SWA Rapid Rewards Visa card accounts.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Nice feature of SWA is no charge for changing reservations. Also, reward points used for canceled SWA tickets go back into your reward points account. Money paid for canceled SWA tickets remains available for re-use (to buy more SWA tickets) for 1 year from the date the canceled ticket was purchased. Other airlines charge major money for changing reservations -- so much that sometimes it's cheaper to let canceled tickets go by the board than to pay the fee for changing reservations. SWA's baggage policy is also convenient -- 2 free checked bags per ticket, plus 1 carry-on & 1 personal item per passenger.

One slight addition. The money paid remains available for the person whose name is on the ticket. It used to be that you could use it for anyone. That was a very nice perk.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Separate his & hers SWA Rapid Rewards Visa card accounts.

But if you separate his and hers, you don't get the Companion Pass. One individual must accumulate the 110,000 points within one calendar year. If you want the other spouse to apply when the first spouse loses companion status, you need to NOT list the spouse as a signer on the cards spouse #1 applies for. When spouse #2 applies, it has to be a "clean" application--no Southwest Rewards cards for the last two years.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
  1. I was just talking to a friend the other day that mentioned that he signed up for both a personal and business card some time ago. He doesn't own a business and said he simply inserted his name under business name. Approved for both. So, if this is possible it looks like that would be the 110K (50K personal & 60K business) necessary for the companion pass after initial spending of $5K ($2K personal & $3K business). Is this correct? Also, would I just list my rapid rewards number on both applications? I wasn't thinking about the companion pass in the beginning but it looks like a great deal.
Mark
Yes, that's correct. You could, theoretically, get two personal cards and one business card.......lots of free Southwest points to use for free flying.

mark201235

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got both the Plus card & Business card. That will be 110K in rewards after initial spending of 5K (which I should be able to do within the first two months. Both in my name solely. We'll see what's offered towards the end of next year. Hopefully, at that point it will be as easy as having my wife do the same to keep the companion pass rolling.

Will I need to have the entire 110K in the Rapid Rewards account (before using any) to qualify for the companion pass, or can I begin to use them as they are put in?

Mark

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Technically - it won't be the end of 2017 that you need to search for something similar under your wifes name it will be the end of 2018 which is when this CP will expire.

You can start booking your flights with the points as you get them then you can just add her as a companion to those flights once you get the CP.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Will I need to have the entire 110K in the Rapid Rewards account (before using any) to qualify for the companion pass, or can I begin to use them as they are put in?Mark
You can use them as you go. The 110,000 is the total you earn in the year and has nothing to do with your balance.

mark201235

TUG Member
Reaction score
Received both cards and have met the initial spending requirements for them. First statements close on 4/28 & 5/1 respectively. When should I expect to see the "bonus" points show up in my Rapid Rewards account? Also, how long until I see the companion pass become available? Hopefully soon, because I am ready to book some airfare for an August trip.

Bonuses: Plus card 50K + Business card 60K = 110K for companion pass.

Mark

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
It takes a day or two from statement close to move the points to SW RR account. Then another couple of days for the Companion Pass notification. You can watch your SW account for the CP notification as it will hit there typically a couple of days before the official email.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
It will be quick for your companion pass. You can book your ticket then when you are rewarded the CP, add your CP to your ticket. As long as there is a ticket to be sold on the flight you are booked on, your companion can fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We were on a cruise when I read the email that companion status had come through. I called Southwest and asked if my husband's flight home could be changed to companion and the money refunded. No problem. He flew home as my companion and the money was there to be used for a different flight.

mark201235

TUG Member
Reaction score
My first statement closed yesterday. I met the spending requirement of $2K. I emailed Chase just to ask when I should expect to see the 50K bonus points show up in my SW Rapid Rewards account. Their response;

Thank you for contacting Chase regarding your Southwest
Airlines Rapid Rewards® Credit Card

I am pleased to share that you have met the required spend
the 50,000 bonus will reflect on your May 25, 2017
statement. And post 30 days these points will be
transferred to your Rapid Rewards membership number

To view or redeem your reward points, please visit
www.southwest.com or call Rapid Rewards Customer Service
at 1-800-445-5764.

We appreciate your business and thank you for being a
Chase customer.

So, should I expect to see these earlier then after next months statement closes? I ask because I'm ready to pull the trigger on some good and cheap flights. I will pay cash if I have to wait that long.

Mark

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Rick will apply for the two SW cards at the end of next year, 2018, and we will do the spend early January for another two years of Companion Pass. It's been great having it this year into 2018. We don't pay for airfare ever now. We have 305,000 points in SW, most was transferred from the UR portal last year. With the CP, you can book points and still get the companion free ($5.60 tax per segment still applies).

mark201235

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked my SW RR account and the rewards from purchases has already posted, however, not the 50K bonus points. So, if they only post once per month it looks as if I may have to wait until next month to receive the bonus points. On the other hand, maybe they will post the bonus points separately.