• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lava Viewing Big Island

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am going to the Big Island in a few months and am interested in viewing an active lava flow, preferably flowing into the ocean. I have done a lot of research on line but most of what I have found involves quite a bit of strenuous hiking. Does anyone know of a tour or a viewing site that involves less hiking? (I'm thinking 2-3 miles each way.)

Kapolei

Reaction score
When I did the boat ride, we passed the hikers. They were like a mile away. Our boat pulled right up to the lava. Don't try to save a few bucks here. Go with the top rated guy.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
The boat tour is the best option if it is in your budget. But have a backup plan, as the boat tours cancel all the time due to sea conditions.

There are tours that can cut the hike in half. They can go up to the park boundary using small vans.

A whole popup industry has started at the parking area for the trailhead offering bike rentals. That is the route we took - it's still a workout, but much easier trip back. I think one vendor was offering to shuttle bike riders out to the halfway part for an extra fee.

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
DH and friends did the "doors-off" helicopter tour, about $250 per person. They had a blast.

AlohaKauai

Reaction score
DW and I went over to the Big Island a few weeks ago to see the lava into the ocean. We used Moku Nui Lava Boat Tours (http://mnlavatour.com/) and cannot recommend them enough. The boat only holds 6 people. We saw the other lava boat mentioned above while were were out there any they were packed in like sardines. The captain backed us up to the area where the lava was flowing into the water and we had a fabulous unobstructed view of the lava. The captain indicated that the "fire hose" had tapered off a little bit due to surface flows drawing away some of the lava, but we thought it was still pretty spectacular. It was definitely an experience of a lifetime for us and was worth every penny. We'd visited Kilauea in the past and had seen lava in the caldera, but we had never seen the water entry. Some friends from the Big Island have done the bike ride out and recommended that highly, but we didn't have time to do that as well this time.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
We are going to the Big Island in May. We were planning on doing the boat tour, but the other couple got worried over the advisory about people with bad backs. They booked us all on the Helicopter instead. Hopefully it good too.. I have enjoyed other Helicopter tours..

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We are going to the Big Island in May. We were planning on doing the boat tour, but the other couple got worried over the advisory about people with bad backs. They booked us all on the Helicopter instead. Hopefully it good too.. I have enjoyed other Helicopter tours..
If you are going to do the boat tour, book ahead. We're on Maui and I overheard the guy who was giving the orientation meeting this morning saying how the boat tours to view the lava are always sold out.

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
We're on the Big Island now. We took a tour yesterday up to the Kilauea crater. We were talking to our guide about doing the hike, and he found out from the park rangers that there's no lava to be seen from land now, and they're expecting the fire hose to dwindle and may even stop. The crater, on the other hand, is getting very active.

(BTW I cannot praise Kailani Tours highly enough. Their Deluxe Volcano Tour is simply amazing!)

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

pacman

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were on the BI a month ago and drove to the lava fields from Waikoloa. It was the highlight of our trip. Don't be discouraged about the length. As Eric mentioned, there is a whole industry at the end of the road catering to those hiking or riding in. I would highly recommend renting a bike and riding there. My DW and I actually took the "shuttle" as far as we could and then biked. Not strenuous at all. A fun experience. We were actually a little disappointed at the ocean entry because the viewing area is quite far away and you can only see very little of the actual lava entry. BUT, then you hike another 15-20 minutes up the lava field towards the mountain, to where the lava is flowing there, and it was amazing. This was worth the whole trip. Lava oozing and flowing, with nothing "roped off". You go as close as you dare, very very cool! I would very highly recommend doing the bike ride to the lava!

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
How many miles is the bike ride. We do a lot of road biking but not much trail riding. Do you
need experience? Where did you rent bikes from?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
From the Parking Lot it is 4 miles each way. There are numerous small businesses set up at the Parking area to rent bikes. Also a fun thing to do is to hike down into the Kilauea Caldera. The Park Rangers do this guided tour only once or twice a month. This is the only opportunity common folk get to go down into the Kilauea Caldera.