• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I saw my first green flash!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
After all of our trips to Hawaii I finally saw my first ever green flash! We were out on the lawn at Maui Hill watching the sunset a couple of nights ago and boom, or should I say "flash", there it was. :cheer:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Yes it is real, I have seen about a dozen of them. Alway at or near the water. So at the coast or on one of my many tradewinds cruises.

Sky should be clear at the Horizon for it to happen. Sometimes it looks clear but there are clouds you don't notice at the horizon until the sun is setting. So it does happen, you do have to be patient and keep looking. Although I have hear some that have never seen it, that it is just a green Heineken bottle tipped up at sunset and you look through the bottle.

See explanation here....
http://www.webexhibits.org/causesofcolor/13D.htm (this link is flaky, just search webexhibits green flash if it doesn not work)

Here is a series of pictures....
l
green-flash-stages.jpg

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
After all of our trips to Hawaii I finally saw my first ever green flash! We were out on the lawn at Maui Hill watching the sunset a couple of nights ago and boom, or should I say "flash", there it was. :cheer:
Yay!

I saw my SECOND green flash in Hawaii in January

My first was a few years ago in St Thomas USVI. It is really really special

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Very cool!

Dave

taffy19

Reaction score
Yes it is real, I have seen about a dozen of them.

See explanation here....
http://www.webexhibits.org/causesofcolor/13D.htm

Here is a series of pictures....
l
green-flash-stages.jpg
I am glad that you saw it, Luanne!

I have seen it quite a few times already in Hawaii, Mexico and even in Laguna Beach but it has never shown up in any of my pictures yet or even in my movie clips while I see it with my own eyes. I see it the most often on the beach in Nuevo Vallarta during the winter.

I wonder how many others here have seen the green flash? Was anyone able to take a picture or even a movie clip of it?

The secret may be to zoom in as far as you can with a decent camera?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
We saw a green flash years ago while we were staying the in Corolla Light development in the Outer Banks the week between Christmas and New Years. I loved to walk over to the Whalehead Club on the Sound side to watch the sunset. It was so quick that if there hadn't been the three of us confirming to each other that we saw it, we would have thought we imagined it!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The flash can very in intensity. I've seen one, but it was really just an almost instantaneous greenish glimmer. Not at all obvious, and I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't been looking for it.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
We have seen the green flash several times at Waiohai, but I don't think at any other place. My wife loves to look for it and I admit it is kind of cool, but once would have been enough for me.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
How exciting!

I never saw one until about 7 years ago. In fact, we were on a sunset cruise in Maui when I saw my first one and I will never forget it because there was a teenage girl from New York who had arrived the day before, went on a snorkel cruise and saw a whale (in Nov!) then did the sunset cruise that night and saw a green flash. She had no idea how lucky she was. :)

Since then I have seen a few more, and one here in San Diego was the most remarkable. It lasted quite a long time and seemed more intense than usual. Everyone on the beach was amazed. It never gets old.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
We've seen them many times in Poipu, Kihei, and Waikiki. Even saw one at sunrise once. Some of them are so short, you'll miss them if you blink. If you've never seen one, don't try taking a picture or you may miss it while fussing with the camera like my mom did. If you have a camera that can keep taking pictures as long as you hold down the shutter, use that feature when it gets close. I love waiting at the popular spots with the sunset groupies because they'll all cheer when there's a good one.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef

My goal is to one day stay at Maui Hill... I have heard so many good things about this resort...have a great vacation

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
My goal is to one day stay at Maui Hill... I have heard so many good things about this resort...have a great vacation
Thanks. We've owned here since 1986 and it's always like coming home.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. We've owned here since 1986 and it's always like coming home.
Thanks Luanne. Do you know if this resort has biannual re-sales? Living in the Midwest there is no way I would be able to get here every year. Thanks

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Thanks Luanne. Do you know if this resort has biannual re-sales? Living in the Midwest there is no way I would be able to get here every year. Thanks
I'm not sure if they sold eoy ownerships, but if you deposit a Maui Lea unit more than a year in advance (365 days +1) you can reserve a bonus week for $199. Additional weeks at Maui Lea can be pretty easy to get so you could stay for 2 weeks.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing "the green flash." It is amazing to watch.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I don't know for sure. I do know they didn't sell EOY through the developer.

If you own at Maui Hill you get free membership with Trading Places Maui. You can bank with them two years out. And if you bank your week more than a year ahead you get a free bonus week.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't know for sure. I do know they didn't sell EOY through the developer.

If you own at Maui Hill you get free membership with Trading Places Maui. You can bank with them two years out. And if you bank your week more than a year ahead you get a free bonus week.
Luanne, thank you, I did not know that you get free membership with Trading Places Maui. Thank you for all of the help

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm not sure if they sold eoy ownerships, but if you deposit a Maui Lea unit more than a year in advance (365 days +1) you can reserve a bonus week for $199. Additional weeks at Maui Lea can be pretty easy to get so you could stay for 2 weeks.
klpca, thanks so much for your help, as well, I appreciate all of the feedback...

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Congrats. I've seen one descent GF, but waiting for another one to appreciate and remember better..... Geeze, only 10 more months to Hawaii 2018. Sigh. :(

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have seen about 15 so far. Never enough! But has anyone seen a blue flash? Can happen in the desert I have heard but I have never seen one yet. The flash is caused by the same eff\fect as rainbows and is light refraction . When you see the flash it is the last visible color of the rainbow over water but over sand the last color may be blue. Who has seen the blue flash?

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Twenty-one years in the Navy, about half of that at sea, so I've seen the green flash quite a few times. There's no point in looking for it unless the horizon is very sharp. Even then, it might not happen.

Awesome photos for those who have heard about the green flash, but think it's a myth.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have seen a moonbow once. It is a rainbow but illuminated by moonlight not sunlight. I saw it sailing on night with a full moon, between rain squalls. We were on a delivery sail and we mostly sailed in shifts overnight.

We told the captain when he got up to relieve us from our shift. He wished we would have woke him up as he had never seen one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonbow