• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Points Question

Khudson

Reaction score
I have been a weeks owner for 25 yrs. at Gatlinburg Town Square with no issues. I'm here now and attended a sales pres. Since they are under "new" management. I was talked into converting my deeded week into points and purchasing another deeded timeshare that is points. They toured me at GTS in a 2 bedroom in phase II. My concern is that when I looked over the paperwork last night, my new deed says Town Village for a studio. When I called the salesman, he says it doesn't matter because that is the great thing about points everyone is equal. I do not like Town Village and am afraid they will make me use my points there if I don't exchange. I even asked if points had a deeded week and he never mentioned a different resort would be on the deed. I will be here rest if week and have 10 days to cancel. Any advice would be appreciated.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd vote to cancel - you can't trust the salesperson EVER. Trust your experience - if you like what you've got, stick with it. Trust the written contract - if it says studio, that is what you are getting - again, what the salesperson says verbally can be all kinds of dishonest or misleading - ONLY what is in the written contract counts. I wouldn't make that deal for free, and I bet the price is higher than that.

Even though you are converting and not "buying" per se, this thread probably belongs over in this thread if a mod would please move it.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/buying-selling-renting.13/

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I vote cancel as well. It may be points are points but he may not be mentioning that it takes two years worth of studio points to book a 2 br in the phase you want. It sounds like you paid to downgrade to a smaller unit.

Khudson

Reaction score
I have been a weeks owner for 25 yrs. at Gatlinburg Town Square with no issues. I'm here now and attended a sales pres. Since they are under "new" management. I was talked into converting my deeded week into points and purchasing another deeded timeshare that is points. They toured me at GTS in a 2 bedroom in phase II. My concern is that when I looked over the paperwork last night, my new deed says Town Village for a studio. When I called the salesman, he says it doesn't matter because that is the great thing about points everyone is equal. I do not like Town Village and am afraid they will make me use my points there if I don't exchange. I even asked if points had a deeded week and he never mentioned a different resort would be on the deed. I will be here rest if week and have 10 days to cancel. Any advice would be appreciated.
I'd vote to cancel - you can't trust the salesperson EVER. Trust your experience - if you like what you've got, stick with it. Trust the written contract - if it says studio, that is what you are getting - again, what the salesperson says verbally can be all kinds of dishonest or misleading - ONLY what is in the written contract counts. I wouldn't make that deal for free, and I bet the price is higher than that.

Even though you are converting and not "buying" per se, this thread probably belongs over in this thread if a mod would please move it.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/buying-selling-renting.13/

Khudson

Reaction score
I did buy also. I converted what I have owned for 25 yrs. and then purchased again and now they both are points. But the new one has the studio unit listed in deed even though they toured me a 2 bedroom at my home resort and led me to believe this is what would be on the deed. They claim it doesn't matter what is on the deed when it is points???

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
GTS tried to pull that stunt with me & even showed us the same Phase II remodeled unit.
No sale...

Sales-Perp: "You need to convert your 1-week TS to points, but to do so, you'll have to buy another small-point TS. That's becuz you have no 'equity' with us. We can sell you a T-V studio."

Me: "I have 100% equity in the TS I own and I'm not buying another just to convert."
Sales-Perp: "Weeks are going away. Soon everything will be in points." -- a scare tactic.
Me: "I hold a deed for 1-week. It's not going away, even if I'm the last one."

The converting game is merely a developer's way of continuing to reap $$ from a sold-out TS.
Exploria is not new management, merely rebranding of Summer Bay (a "WeSaySo" company).

Our Objection:
We have no use for points. We go to GTS every year (DW has family in Knoxville).
We own other TS's which provide all the flexibility that we need.

But, hey, YMMV.

Khudson

Reaction score
GTS tried to pull that stunt with me & even showed us the same Phase II remodeled unit.
No sale...

Sales-Perp: "You need to convert your 1-week TS to points, but to do so, you'll have to buy another small-point TS. That's becuz you have no 'equity' with us. We can sell you a T-V studio."

Me: "I have 100% equity in the TS I own and I'm not buying another just to convert."
Sales-Perp: "Weeks are going away. Soon everything will be in points." -- a scare tactic.
Me: "I hold a deed for 1-week. It's not going away, even if I'm the last one."

The converting game is merely a developer's way of continuing to reap $$ from a sold-out TS.
Exploria is not new management, merely rebranding of Summer Bay (a "WeSaySo" company).

Our Objection:
We have no use for points. We go to GTS every year (DW has family in Knoxville).
We own other TS's which provide all the flexibility that we need.

But, hey, YMMV.
Thanks for the information!

taffy19

Reaction score
To the OP, I also recommend to cancel your contract while you can if you have any doubts and like what you now own. You need to follow the instructions exactly as it is written in your contract and no other way.

Is the new management company DRI and is it connected with II by any chance? If it is, shouldn't this thread be moved to one of the other two forums (Buying, Selling, Renting) or (All Other Timeshare Systems - DRI) if it is a DRI resort now so that the OP will get more response and other people find out what is going on?

Khudson

Reaction score
To the OP, I also recommend to cancel your contract while you can if you have any doubts and like what you now own. You need to follow the instructions exactly as it is written in your contract and no other way.

Is the new management company DRI and is it connected with II by any chance? If it is, shouldn't this thread be moved to one of the other two forums (Buying, Selling, Renting) or (All Other Timeshare Systems - DRI) if it is a DRI resort now so that the OP will get more response and other people find out what is going on?
They are connected with RCI, the management company is Exploria

taffy19

Reaction score
Sorry about confusing you but I looked the resort up and thought that I saw that it had to do with DRI but the names are very confusing and there are multiple phases.

I would cancel, if I were you, if you have any doubts. Once your rescission period has run out, you can no longer do this.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I urge you to rescind while you still can. If you have any questions whatsoever what you bought, exercise your right of rescission. Do some more research. If, after you learn more, you still think it's a good deal you can buy it then as an informed consumer. But if you let the rescission period pass, you'll be stuck with it.

Khudson

Reaction score
Sorry about confusing you but I looked the resort up and thought that I saw that it had to do with DRI but the names are very confusing and there are multiple phases.

I would cancel, if I were you, if you have any doubts. Once your rescission period has run out, you can no longer do this.
I have my letter ready and am taking it to them tomorrow to rescind. I already feel better.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I have my letter ready and am taking it to them tomorrow to rescind. I already feel better.
Don't take your letter to the sales dept.--they'll just try to talk you out of it. Look in your documents and see if it gives rescission instructions. The usual way is to send the letter certified mail so that you have proof of the date you mailed it from the post office. See if there's an address mentioned in your paperwork where you should send the letter.

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Don't take your letter to the sales dept.--they'll just try to talk you out of it. Look in your documents and see if it give rescission instructions. The usual way is to send the letter certified mail so that you have proof of the date you mailed it from the post office. See if there's an address mentioned in your paperwork where you should send the letter.
+1 to not taking the letter in person.
Mail the letter Return Receipt Requested.
If you paid any money in this transaction - in your rescission letter, request a refund of the funds paid. Or if paid with a credit card, request a credit for the amount paid.

Don't wait till the last minute to mail the letter.

Richard

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Sorry about confusing you but I looked the resort up and thought that I saw that it had to do with DRI...

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...
Sunterra owned/controlled GTS (1990's?)... DRI bought Sunterra (2007)... DRI then sold GTS to Summer Bay (now Exploria).

It's theoretically possible that some owners there are tied into DRI points, but Summer Bay - Exploria's been the manager-in-control for at least 10 years.

Last edited: