• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

singapore and malaysia

chexchy

TUG Member
Reaction score
good evening,
we want to go to S.E asia this summer (august). I know it is burning but it is the only time we have for the kids. we want to go to Singapore and Malaysia. is ten days to two weeks long enough? do you have any suggestion for us as far as where to stay, what to do? any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
thanks
Chexchy

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hot and humid.... Yuck.

Singapore, stay around the shopping belt in Orchard Road or Marina Bay area. Trains are super clean and convenient. 3 nights.

Malaysia: Kuala Lumpar and Penang. I have personally never spent much time in KL. Cannot suggest where to stay. Beware that in Malaysia, there are several states where a couple is not allowed to show affection unless you want to go to jail. Penang is safe and that is about the only state that I can vouch for as "safe".

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been to both. Let's start with Malaysia. I stayed at the Renaissance in Kuala Lumpur and it was excellent. It has a lounge with a nice breakfast is you are an elite with Marriott. It is also across the street from the Malaysian Tourism Center which has an excellent buffet dinner show with native dancers. The location isn't bad either but it depends on what you want to see. I did not go outside the city, partly because i was only there 3 days and partly because my Dr. In the states who is Muslim suggested that i don't go there. Malaysia is a predominately Muslim country. I flew Malaysian Airlines and had the worst experience I ever had and I've flown over 30 airlines. As for KL there is a hop on hop off bus that takes you to the major sites. I have the brochure and will try to up load it.

As for Singapore, let me just repeat what the taxi driver said on my way from the airport. "Welcome to Singapore-I hope you brought a high limit credit card." Singapore is the most expensive city in the world to live in. The airport is great- it has a Hard Rock and is usually rated the best in the world. I found Singapore to be one large shopping mall. There are a few historical sites worth going to but it is HOT! It is on the equator. Incidently, I stayed at the Conrad in Singapore. It is truly a magnificent hotel and is usually rated as one. They had a string quartet playing in the lobby-very soothing.

llandaff

TUG Member
Reaction score
I lived in Malaysia for 3 years and have traveled a lot in SE Asia. Singapore and Malaysia are quite different from each other. I like both; it depends what sort of experience you are looking for. Singapore is rightly famous for its cleanliness. It is easy to travel via train and would be much easier with younger children. There will be far less "culture shock" involved in Singapore and, as such, it's a great introduction to Asia.

Malaysia is a wonderful country. As with Singapore, nearly everyone you meet will speak good English. It is very safe; I feel safer in Malaysia than I do in the US (although, like anywhere, don't be too flashy with jewelry, etc.) Muslims in most of the country are very liberal; only in the far north-eastern states are you likely to encounter a stricter atmosphere. Since there are significant numbers of Chinese and Indian Malaysians who are not Muslim, there is tolerance for all religions everywhere, however. Malaysia is also significantly cheaper than Singapore.

Realistically, any time you spend will be too short, but if you decide to do both countries, I would probably suggest a week in Singapore followed by a week in Penang. You can fly directly from one to the other with several airlines (Air Asia, Firefly, etc.). Penang is small enough that you can see a lot in a week and take in all three cultures (Malay, Chinese and Indian). Also August is the Georgetown Festival and has different events going on all month. I go back every August just for that!

As everyone else has said, it will be very hot and very humid so you will need to pace yourselves and drink gallons of water!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

chexchy

TUG Member
Reaction score