• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
Status
Not open for further replies.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
W
The above is true enough. The information is useful, I am assuming, to people trying to stay out of this. I went through a variation of this current problem before. I am also attempting to get 3 of my current ownership deeds listed under my ownership section under the pre-view site and get my LLC owner access to the site. This thing may be spreading. One of the Wyndham Corporate employees made a comment to me something to the effect that the system was working as designed. I did manage to get this person to get me a case number to continue my attempts to solve this.

Are you suggesting that your inability to log into the preview site is a variation of the suspendions that are the subject of these threads or that your account was suspended sometime in the past??

We all got emails back in august that said "due to unusual activity' in our accounts, our accounts were being suspended. Did you get such an email?

We were all invited to call Wyndham with questions, and we all got a return call from a Wyndham attorney who, instead of answering our questions, asked us questions. In my case and in the case of others that have posted here the questions were asked in an acusatory way

Have you been contacted by a Wyndham attorney?

Those of us that have been suspended have been limited in our communication with Wyndham to one case manager. (If that person is on vacation or out of the office due to a family emergency all communication stops) We have been given a special telephone number and email address to contact them and the routine is that we leave a message and hope for a return call or email. Sometimes it comes and sometimes it dosent
And guest confirmations and cancellations have to go through this person

Have you been assigned a case manager or perhaps a lawyer?

During the "hard freeze" period we could not make new reservations or buy or sell contracts. Some, of us have had our accounts "thawed" but even now can't buy or sell. One of us here has reported that they have come to a place where they are "back to normal". In my case we have come to a different resolution

So would you say your accounts are frozen, thawed back to normal? Or like me. Something else. Or would you say you have not been suspended?

The one thing all of us that are or were suspended have in common is that Wyndham believes that we have (or had) "extra" points in our accounts; points that we got for free and for which haven't paid maintenance fees. And I think all of us that have been suspended, even if we disagree with that, at least understand how Wyndham came to that conclusion

So how many extra points does Wyndham see in your account. Or is your "problem" due to something else?? Or maybe you don't have a problem at all

Please understand I am not trying to put you on the spot I really don't care and I really don't need to know the details or know about your individual problem. What I'm trying to figure out here is this: is Wyndham still looking for accounts with extra points and can we expect another round of suspensions? And are you the leading edge of a new net that they have thrown out

Or

Is The problem you are experiencing unique to you and not connected to a possible new round of suspensions?

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Some do not what me to post what happened to me on this site or at least this thread, fair enough, I'll pass.

So, your account was not suspended like others of the impacted owners? If so, that would seem appropriate to not post on this thread content that does not add to the subject, but only serves as a "red herring." Perhaps you could start another thread about your issues or concerns, but leave the content of this thread about the subject matter of accounts suspended in August 2016.

If, on the other had, as Ron asked, your account HAS been suspended due to "extra points", then please share your experience and insights. But only if the suspension was due to the issue of the extra points.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll pass on this one to. Also, people can see the Voyager Thread. I also believe that Voyager has come up in many threads over the years.

If someone is interested just use the TUG search feature type in Voyager, go to the last page and read the posts in reverse order i.e. oldest to newest.

Reading this thread without reviewing the Voyager related posts from days gone by is probably reading this material "Out of Context."
You make me feel so good about some of my really stupid posts, Icml11!

Sent from my RCT6873W42 using Tapatalk

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been reading since the beginning and still don't have a thorough understanding of what's happening, or, enough info to know whether/how much of the problem can be attributed to Wyndham and how much/whether to owners.
Here's the short summary.

At some point, someone at Wyndham realized that some accounts had many many more points/points-in-reservations in a given Use Year than there were points owned in contracts in the accounts. There are several ways this can happen:

1: The Points Credit Pool can give you up to 5x the number of points in a given year (pooled the two prior years and the two subsequent years).
2: The "cancel points roll forward" loophole could have generated an unbounded number of points (this loophole was closed when cancel points were eliminated)
3: Renting points from Wyndham can get you another 1x (ignoring roll-forward).
4: Stripping and selling contracts can generate an unbounded number of points.
5: Wyndham IT errors, the scope of which are not clear.

None of these are owners cheating the system, though some are not exactly in the spirit of the rules. For example, the fact that you can credit pool "backwards" does not seem to have been contemplated by Wyndham. Rolling-forward cancel points sure seems like it shouldn't happen, but that's not really an owner's fault, and now it no longer happens---at least it's not supposed to. But, when it was possible, several owners deliberately got non-aligned use years to take advantage of it. Renting points is totally kosher. IMO, so is stripping a contract. Wyndham IT errors aren't the fault of the owners either.

In short, these accounts had the points they had because (a) Wyndham's IT systems hover between "not well thought out" and "completely broken" and (b) some program features work in ways that Wyndham hadn't necessarily considered.

The accounts that were identified in August were those which had several multiples of the number of points available---I think the smallest I've read was 4x. Over time, some accounts have been "thawed" with varying levels of restriction, some have been returned to their owners outright, and others have reached negotiated arrangements. At least in part, how one has been treated seems to have depended on one's willingness to cooperate.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some do not what me to post what happened to me on this site or at least this thread, fair enough, I'll pass.

However, here is what on person who knows Wyndham Vacation Resorts very well had to say on the subject:

"My accounts have always had some contracts missing from the ownership summary. What you see is nothing new

Ron Parise

my website

my other website
ronparise, Sunday at 5:17 PM Report
#37 Like + Quote Reply"

Thanks for the summary.

I said that but it wasn't on the subject of this thread

Please don't use random quotes of my posts to "prove" something completely unrelated

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Here's the short summary.

At some point, someone at Wyndham realized that some accounts had many many more points/points-in-reservations in a given Use Year than there were points owned in contracts in the accounts. There are several ways this can happen:

1: The Points Credit Pool can give you up to 5x the number of points in a given year (pooled the two prior years and the two subsequent years).
2: The "cancel points roll forward" loophole could have generated an unbounded number of points (this loophole was closed when cancel points were eliminated)
3: Renting points from Wyndham can get you another 1x (ignoring roll-forward).
4: Stripping and selling contracts can generate an unbounded number of points.
5: Wyndham IT errors, the scope of which are not clear.

None of these are owners cheating the system, though some are not exactly in the spirit of the rules. For example, the fact that you can credit pool "backwards" does not seem to have been contemplated by Wyndham. Rolling-forward cancel points sure seems like it shouldn't happen, but that's not really an owner's fault, and now it no longer happens---at least it's not supposed to. But, when it was possible, several owners deliberately got non-aligned use years to take advantage of it. Renting points is totally kosher. IMO, so is stripping a contract. Wyndham IT errors aren't the fault of the owners either.

In short, these accounts had the points they had because (a) Wyndham's IT systems hover between "not well thought out" and "completely broken" and (b) some program features work in ways that Wyndham hadn't necessarily considered.

The accounts that were identified in August were those which had several multiples of the number of points available---I think the smallest I've read was 4x. Over time, some accounts have been "thawed" with varying levels of restriction, some have been returned to their owners outright, and others have reached negotiated arrangements. At least in part, how one has been treated seems to have depended on one's willingness to cooperate.

Thank you. I appreciate your - and others - willingness to explain things for folks like me who have absolutely zero at stake here. :)

One point I'm trying to make is that I would like to help as a TUG moderator but while I understand the frustration with off-topic posts being dropped here, I don't know enough to recognize what's off-topic. Instead of responding to them which takes the thread off-track you can simply report them with a comment, "please remove off-topic post," after which any of the mods will be happy to clean up the thread for you when they see the reports.

To those of you who are dropping off-topic posts here, this is your fair warning that they'll be removed. The people whose accounts have been affected by these specific Wyndham actions have too much at stake and need this thread to remain on-topic.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Instead of responding to them which takes the thread off-track you can simply report them with a comment, "please remove off-topic post," after which any of the mods will be happy to clean up the thread for you when they see the reports.

To those of you who are dropping off-topic posts here, this is your fair warning that they'll be removed. The people whose accounts have been affected by these specific Wyndham actions have too much at stake and need this thread to remain on-topic.

Fantastic. Thank you. Have a great weekend. Dream of cogent posts.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I appreciate your - and others - willingness to explain things for folks like me who have absolutely zero at stake here. :)

One point I'm trying to make is that I would like to help as a TUG moderator but while I understand the frustration with off-topic posts being dropped here, I don't know enough to recognize what's off-topic. Instead of responding to them which takes the thread off-track you can simply report them with a comment, "please remove off-topic post," after which any of the mods will be happy to clean up the thread for you when they see the reports.

Thank you

From my perspective I have no problem with "off topic" posts Some of them take us down a tangential path, but we almost always get back to where we ought to be. And we almost always learn something in the process. If I have a problem its with the folks that refuse to accept the collective wisdom of the group. Its taken us 60+ pages to get to this point, but most of us that have been with it the whole time agree on the facts and although we have come to different conclusions and see different possible outcomes, we accept (and we have learned from) the logic and soundness of each other's point of view

and I dont have a problem with someone that drops in to see whats happening and asks some questions or even offers an opinion of their own. Im a big picture kind of guy but Im so close to this thing that Im afraid Im missing that big picture, Looking at this thing with someone elses eyes is helpful.

However, Ive never been accused of being "thin skinned". but when I think someone is taking a "serves you right" or an "I told you so" position on this...That upsets me. Clearly at least on poster has found my "hot button" and delights in pushing it hmmmm maybe its just old age.

Thanks for the warning...and the help.. for my part Ill toughen up or for the first time ever use the ignore function

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham allowed me to add guest names for March 4 and 5 and pay $129 each for it. Still has not been pushed forward. It is just being done day to day. Does any one else here have these same restrictions? It is frustrating having to rely on the agent being able to see which reservations I actually have in my account. Especially when it is a weeks based system and the second half of the week shows up with reservations that start at the beginning of the week. Even asking which reservations I have for a certain date is always met with at which resort. My reply is all of them which because if the system they are not easily able to see that. If I miss canceling a reservations at the 15 day window or no one bothers to answer the phone or call me back they do not want to make exceptions. At this point the points may expire before I can use them again and I will demand all my points to be reinstated because of loss of use that Wyndham should be happy to get what reservations they can back from me no matter when I want them cancelled. It is the other owners who suffer as since this has started I have cancelled a lot less reservations then I normally would.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
What am I missing? If this is Robert, why does the "real name" field say it's Laura? Why the disguise?

I'm a little late to see this question, but here is some background: When Robert first created his alter-ego years ago, he would post from both user names in the same thread, and respond to his own posts.

However, with his unique style, it didn't take long before he was recognized and outed on TUG. Nevertheless, he continues to post from both user names. Based on style and content, I would be extremely surprised if his wife has ever posted on TUG.

Historically, he disappears for months at a time, and then returns and dives back into topics that he isn't familiar with.

He brings an extremely unusual perspective to TUG. ;)

Last edited:

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham allowed me to add guest names for March 4 and 5 and pay $129 each for it. Still has not been pushed forward. It is just being done day to day. Does any one else here have these same restrictions? It is frustrating having to rely on the agent being able to see which reservations I actually have in my account. Especially when it is a weeks based system and the second half of the week shows up with reservations that start at the beginning of the week. Even asking which reservations I have for a certain date is always met with at which resort. My reply is all of them which because if the system they are not easily able to see that. If I miss canceling a reservations at the 15 day window or no one bothers to answer the phone or call me back they do not want to make exceptions. At this point the points may expire before I can use them again and I will demand all my points to be reinstated because of loss of use that Wyndham should be happy to get what reservations they can back from me no matter when I want them cancelled. It is the other owners who suffer as since this has started I have cancelled a lot less reservations then I normally would.
So, because they can't/won't/don't (or won't answer your call or return timely a VM) cancel reservations at the 15-day mark those reservations have to sit in your account going unused while the points get consumed?

Am I understanding that right?

All because your restriction is so narrow on what dates they allow you to add a GC to the reservation?

happyhopian

Reaction score
I'll pass on this one to. Also, people can see the Voyager Thread. I also believe that Voyager has come up in many threads over the years.

If someone is interested just use the TUG search feature type in Voyager, go to the last page and read the posts in reverse order i.e. oldest to newest.

Reading this thread without reviewing the Voyager related posts from days gone by is probably reading this material "Out of Context."
In the past moderators would move OT post to another thread. Thank you for the notes on how to handle these silly and terribly confusing/distracting posts. Thank you!

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, because they can't/won't/don't (or won't answer your call or return timely a VM) cancel reservations at the 15-day mark those reservations have to sit in your account going unused while the points get consumed?

Am I understanding that right?

All because your restriction is so narrow on what dates they allow you to add a GC to the reservation?

Yes. Reservations I am happy to cancel t 15 days do not get cancelled because of not getting a callback or not being told I have certain reservations. Since I cannot book anything new not getting points back (in the short term) is not really big deal. Long term it is and I will fight for those points when the time is right.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score

I can't answer for anyone else, but I can say I don't have the restrictions you have regarding adding guest confirmations. In fact I am not sure how many of the originally suspended accounts are still hard-locked, most everyone other than you seems to at least have been "thawed".

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't answer for anyone else, but I can say I don't have the restrictions you have regarding adding guest confirmations. In fact I am not sure how many of the originally suspended accounts are still hard-locked, most everyone other than you seems to at least have been "thawed".

Ditto for me. Short of Ron, who has been active in the negotiation process for a resolution of the suspension, and Adam, who remains frozen, I know of no other owners who cannot at least access their online accounts and make reservations, cancellations, and add guest names. The remaining limitations are for placing points in the credit pool, and buying or selling contracts. Which loom large as we get closer to the time frame some of us need to credit pool points that will expire.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ditto for me. Short of Ron, who has been active in the negotiation process for a resolution of the suspension, and Adam, who remains frozen, I know of no other owners who cannot at least access their online accounts and make reservations, cancellations, and add guest names. The remaining limitations are for placing points in the credit pool, and buying or selling contracts. Which loom large as we get closer to the time frame some of us need to credit pool points that will expire.

Remember just as owners that post on tug are a fraction of the total ownership so are the suspended owners that post on tug a fraction of the total number of suspended owners

Although it's fun to speculate,(and I'm having more fun than most) It would be a mistake to make the leap from what is posted here to any conclusion about the big picture

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Remember just as owners that post on tug are a fraction of the total ownership so are the suspended owners that post on tug a fraction of the total number of suspended owners

Although it's fun to speculate,(and I'm having more fun than most) It would be a mistake to make the leap from what is posted here to any conclusion about the big picture

True, but owners who are knowledgeable enough to get in the situation that froze their accounts in the first place, are likely knowledgeable enough to find TUG, I suspect that we represent a larger portion of the frozen accounts than the ration of Total Wyn Members that are also Tug Members.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
True, but owners who are knowledgeable enough to get in the situation that froze their accounts in the first place, are likely knowledgeable enough to find TUG, I suspect that we represent a larger portion of the frozen accounts than the ration of Total Wyn Members that are also Tug Members.

Perhaps we are as a group "smarter than the average bear" but I know several suspended owners that are in the same place as I, that don't post here.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Historically, he disappears for months at a time, and then returns and dives back into topics that he isn't familiar with.

He brings an extremely unusual perspective to TUG. ;)

I have an uncle like that, we don't see him for years, and then he shows up at a family reunion, wearing an ascot and speaking with a continental accent.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just did a cancellation that seemingly has returned more points to me than it should have. So be prepared for a 2nd round.

Any update on this Eric? Any contact from Wyndham? Or clawback of the points?

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Not yet. But last go round it took Wyndham about 60-90 days to act.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like Wally might be maintaining the legacy system for Wyndham.
Scroll down to dates Feb 20 - Feb 26 for 6 strips.

http://dilbert.com/

Wow, is that ever perfect. It's exactly what we are seeing unfold with the "Legacy" website that will probably have similar bugs when the new one is unveiled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.