• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Visiting at Kings Land

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

Jack and I arrived on Saturday and have had a great few days so far. We've visited Hapuna Beach, the Hilton Waikoloa, and did a snorkel cruise on Fair Wind. The snorkel cruise is one of the best I have been on, and the destination is just a stunning location.

We are staying in Phase 2 and have a very nice third floor room. I like saving the points, but the room definitely lives smaller than the Phase 1, most noticeably on the balcony. The third floor has a nice mountain and golf course view and someone spending alot of time on the balcony probably would pay the points premium (8,400 vs. 7,000).

Having the road open to Highway 19 appreciably increases the traffic flow, but it's still not problematic. This is a great property and I love coming to visit it! I'm going to try and figure out what the composition of Phase 3 is, but the locations of Phase 1 and 2 are really hard to beat.

Best,

Greg

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey Greg. I guess this means no annual trip for two to the Lagoon tower. We'll miss having a drink but it sounds like you're having fun on the big Island.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Steve,

Yes, for awhile....we now have two teen girls in high school so it will be a bit before Jonell and I get to come again, but we will be back. She is Super Wife and still encourages me to go, and to take Jack on the trip instead.

I look forward to getting together again -- please give my best to Carly and I hope you are well!

Best,

Greg

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
We are staying in Phase 2 and have a very nice third floor room. I like saving the points, but the room definitely lives smaller than the Phase 1, most noticeably on the balcony. The third floor has a nice mountain and golf course view and someone spending alot of time on the balcony probably would pay the points premium (8,400 vs. 7,000).

Glad your enjoying the trip, I am really looking forward to our trip in May. We have only stayed in Phase 1, our the Phase 2 Lanai's that much smaller? I walked arround phase 2 on our last trip, but don't recall the balconies being smaller.

I like to have my coffee and breakfast on the lanai in the morning, and maybe some beverages in the afteroon.. I already thought the phase 1 lanais were too small, at least in comparison with Kohala Suites...

Sounds like i should stick with phase 1 if possible..

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
All,

Having the road open to Highway 19 appreciably increases the traffic flow, but it's still not problematic. This is a great property and I love coming to visit it! I'm going to try and figure out what the composition of Phase 3 is, but the locations of Phase 1 and 2 are really hard to beat.

Best,

Greg

Hi Greg,

Glad you and Jack arrived safe and sound. We have been enjoying the great weather, too. We booked a smaller 1-bdrm plus. They put us in phase 3, on the third floor in an end unit of bldg 24, right by the phase 3 pool. Love the location. While we look out at the parking lot, we are high enough that we really have a nice view of the trees, the golf course across the road and the mountains beyond. And the grounds in front are gorgeous.

It appears all the 1-bdrms in this building are the smaller ones, as in phase 2. They are about 625 vs. 950 sq. ft. in Phase 1. The lanais are proportionately smaller as well. We were concerned the unit and lanai would be too small, but we have been pleasantly surprised. It is not as spacious as Phase 1 or Bay Club, but it is a surprisingly efficient layout and we love it. Would certainly enjoy a little bigger lanai, but we have a table and two chairs and a single lounger and don't feel crowded. Certainly big enough for eating, drinking or reading, as long as Karen and I don't both want the chaise at the same time!

We deliberately booked the smaller 1-bdrm plus in phases 2 and 3, since it is 6200 pts vs 9300 pts for the larger phase 1 units and we are staying for two weeks. A significant difference and we are now convinced we made the right decision. Prefer the extra time rather than the extra space for just the two of us.

From the fire-exit floor plan on the door it would appear that the front of this building (parking lot side) is all 1-bdrms...10 on each floor. The golf course side has larger units, which I am assuming are composed of eight 2-bdrm and two 3-bdrm units on each floor, but maybe they are just larger phase 1 rooms. Bldg 25 seems to be the same design as ours, but bldg 23 seems a slightly different layout...but hard to figure it out without a floor plan of some type.

If you have time for that drink before you leave, Greg, let me know!

Regards,

Bob

Harry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
All,

Jack and I arrived on Saturday and have had a great few days so far. We've visited Hapuna Beach, the Hilton Waikoloa, and did a snorkel cruise on Fair Wind. The snorkel cruise is one of the best I have been on, and the destination is just a stunning location.

Best,

Greg

Also at Kings Land Bld. 21 308. Took a tour to find out more about new Ocean Towers conversion.
Greg, feel free to stop by

Harry

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Also at Kings Land Bld. 21 308. Took a tour to find out more about new Ocean Towers conversion.
Greg, feel free to stop by

Harry

Do you have any news on Ocean towers to share.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CanuckTraveler/Harry, are you free tomorrow or Friday for a cocktail at the Clubhouse? Would love to get together.

Please advise, tomorrow afternoon (3:30pm?) would work (we have to be in Kona at 6pm for the manta ray thing) and Friday is pretty open. Please advise and thanks -- always a pleasure to meet TUGgers on a trip!

Best,

Greg

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
...snorkel cruise on Fair Wind.
On my first visit to Hawaii, we did that snorkel cruise. It was what was being sold through the concierge at the Hilton Hotel (where we were staying). It was so amazing. I couldn't believe it when people went back on the boat to eat. I stayed out as long as I could. Of course, pretty much all the food was gone when I had to get back on board, but it was by far the best snorkel experience I've had in my life. How much is it per person now?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
On my first visit to Hawaii, we did that snorkel cruise. It was what was being sold through the concierge at the Hilton Hotel (where we were staying). It was so amazing. I couldn't believe it when people went back on the boat to eat. I stayed out as long as I could. Of course, pretty much all the food was gone when I had to get back on board, but it was by far the best snorkel experience I've had in my life. How much is it per person now?

Yes, that pretty much describes it -- it was spectacular. It was $135/person including tax -- great time.

Best,

Greg

taffy19

Reaction score
We did the same trip too at least twice when we stayed in Kona where we owned a timeshare. It was spectacular but it is a Marine Preserve and the coral was alive and colorful. I believe that it was with the same boat and they were the only one that had permission to anchor there at that time.

Do they still let you Snuba dive or something like that? You could breathe normally because you were hooked up to a long tube so didn't need scuba gear.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
CanuckTraveler/Harry, are you free tomorrow or Friday for a cocktail at the Clubhouse? Would love to get together.

Please advise, tomorrow afternoon (3:30pm?) would work (we have to be in Kona at 6pm for the manta ray thing) and Friday is pretty open. Please advise and thanks -- always a pleasure to meet TUGgers on a trip!

Best,

Greg

Hi Greg and Harry,

3:30 pm today at the Clubhouse works for us. Karen and I will see you then. Look for the big guy with the yellow Myrtle Beach ball cap!

Bob

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We did the same trip too at least twice when we stayed in Kona where we owned a timeshare. It was spectacular but it is a Marine Preserve and the coral was alive and colorful. I believe that it was with the same boat and they were the only one that had permission to anchor there at that time.

Do they still let you Snuba dive or something like that? You could breathe normally because you were hooked up to a long tube so didn't need scuba gear.

That marine preserve is likely at "Two Step", near the Place of Refuge (Don't know the Hawaiian name for it, sorry). Google "Two Step" for directions.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
That marine preserve is likely at "Two Step", near the Place of Refuge (Don't know the Hawaiian name for it, sorry). Google "Two Step" for directions.

I just googled it. 'Two Steps' is just across from the City of Refuge: Pu'uhonua O Honaunau. I remember people calling I just Honaunau cause the bay has the same name. We went snorkeling there last September. Was amazed DD was out snorkeling for over an hour, all over the place; she's not an avid swimmer.
The steps are easy to find when you're going in the water; a little harder to remember where to come out!

taffy19

Reaction score
I looked it up where it was and it was near the Captain Cook Monument. We took the big Catamaran and it was awesome. It is still the best snorkel trip we ever took. We also snorkeled right from the road but I don't remember any names. We just stopped where other people were snorkeling and where we could park. We swam with a bunch of dolphins and turtles and reef fish. I want to go back to the Big Island again and see the lava flow too. :)

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Emmy

CCM and TS are the two great snorkel/diving locations on the Big Island. TS is an easier shore dive/snorkel, as it is only a few steps from the parking lot and you can be in the water. CCM is a longer swim from where you can park. So CCM is most often visited by the day trip for snorkelers on catamarans.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
There is a great little reef right in front of the church where we got hitched.

St. Peter's (Little Blue Church) is right on the rocks and you can walk right into the water and snorkel from the road.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
You can rent kayaks and kayak and snorkel with the dolphins on route to CCM if you go early enough. It is amazing how many dolphins are in the bay.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Did the earthquake wake you up Greg? My uncle said it was better than an alarm clock!

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It was a 4.5 quake with an epicenter that was only 15 miles NW of Waikoloa. No wonder

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
GregT Enjoy the Manta Ray cruise. We took it and would definitely it again.

Also note that there is another Hilton Spend $1000 get $200 offer on the Hilton Surpass card that can be loaded onto the card. If you are already paying for boat trips, restaurants and other extras at the Hotel that you can bill back to your room, then 20% off is not a bad way to go.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did the earthquake wake you up Greg? My uncle said it was better than an alarm clock!
Yes! I didn't know the Big Island had earthquakes but it was a pretty strong jolt, but didn't last long. In California, I recall the long rolling ones (30-60 seconds?) but this one was over in 5-10. Very much took me by surprise!!

Best,

Greg

Harry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It was really a pleasure to meet you Bob, Karen and Greg. I slept through earthquake but it woke my wife up. We are on the beach already at Wiaohai, in Kauai.

Harry

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It was really a pleasure to meet you Bob, Karen and Greg. I slept through earthquake but it woke my wife up. We are on the beach already at Wiaohai, in Kauai.

Harry
Harry, enjoy your time in Kauai!!!

It was a pleasure to meet you, Bob and Karen, and I will hope our paths cross again!

Best,

Greg