• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Year end left over points

JohnS.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point of Poipu
Hi All,

I'm new to the points system and I forgot to bank my points to next year before the end of July. So I banked over what I could and now have 3375 points left over and have to use them before the end of the year. I used all of DRI's search function to find something before the end of the year, but I haven't been able to find anything that will work.

I'm sure I'm just out of luck and will have to just let the points go, but if anyone has any suggestions of how I can use my points before the end of the year, I would really appreciate it.

bradfordHI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Hawaii Collection 74,000 points

Westin 2 Bedroom Maui; selling it now.
2 bedroom ocean Front Hyatt week 51. We Rent it on VRBO only.
What do you own?
Resell or developer?
If developer the club let's you use your points for shopping.
Log on to website and under the luxury tab hit shopping.
It's at $0.20 per point.

Hi All,

I'm new to the points system and I forgot to bank my points to next year before the end of July. So I banked over what I could and now have 3375 points left over and have to use them before the end of the year. I used all of DRI's search function to find something before the end of the year, but I haven't been able to find anything that will work.

I'm sure I'm just out of luck and will have to just let the points go, but if anyone has any suggestions of how I can use my points before the end of the year, I would really appreciate it.

bradfordHI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Also email your QA and ask them to roll them over. I forgot my first year too. They will give you a break your first year.
Hope that helps.

QUOTE="JohnS., post: 1946344, member: 89743"]Hi All,

I'm sure I'm just out of luck and will have to just let the points go, but if anyone has any suggestions of how I can use my points before the end of the year, I would really appreciate it.[/QUOTE]
Also

JohnS.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point of Poipu
What do you own?
Resell or developer?
If developer the club let's you use your points for shopping.
Log on to website and under the luxury tab hit shopping.
It's at $0.20 per point.

I had heard that there was a store, but I wasn't able to find it. Now that I know what it's called, I was able to find it easily.

At least the points are going to waste.

Thank you so much for the help.

John

JohnS.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point of Poipu
I spoke a little too soon. The store seems to be a scam. The "Cash Remainder" amount it more then what you can get it for at Amazon.

bradfordHI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

It's not perfect but it's better then losing them. Did you try email them and ask for a 1 time acception.

The shopping thing is new. I used it for 2 items but your right. It's not amazing. But it's better then losing them.

I spoke a little too soon. The store seems to be a scam. The "Cash Remainder" amount it more then what you can get it for at Amazon.

JohnS.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point of Poipu
I haven't tried to email them for a 1 time exception. I'll try that. Thank you.

bradfordHI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Glad I found this forum. There is a lot I learned from other owners.
Sometimes a written letter has worked best for me.

JohnS.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point of Poipu
bradfordHI,

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I was able to call Diamond and they gave me a 1 time exception and banked my points. It was such a great relief to know that they weren't going to get wasted.

Thank you again!

bradfordHI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

No problem. Its why I like this.

bradfordHI,

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I was able to call Diamond and they gave me a 1 time exception and banked my points. It was such a great relief to know that they weren't going to get wasted.

Thank you again!

lindaswain

TUG Member
Reaction score
God bless you all...I had 5600 points going down the drain and a few days ago, talking to the Diamond rep got me no where.

I read this thread very very early this morning and when I called a few minutes ago, a very kind agent granted me the one time exemption, and we've been owners for eons.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. Knowing exemptions can be granted and knowing what to ask for was the key!

bradfordHI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

God bless you all...I had 5600 points going down the drain and a few days ago, talking to the Diamond rep got me no where.

I read this thread very very early this morning and when I called a few minutes ago, a very kind agent granted me the one time exemption, and we've been owners for eons.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. Knowing exemptions can be granted and knowing what to ask for was the key!

Glad I could help. I've learned a lot over the years. They won't do it every year FYI.

God Bless.

nope_900

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts U.S. collection
Brand new timeshare owner. Was given the timeshare so I never had initial sales pitch, although I have had plenty since.

So, I know I can bank a year's worth of points but can I use the points from this year to book a stay for next year?
Here is what I want to do:
We have a little over 5000 points for this year and can only save 4000. I was hoping to book memorial weekend 2018 that will be made available very soon. Will that work? (assuming I can get in) Or, do this year's points have to be used during this year?

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brand new timeshare owner. Was given the timeshare so I never had initial sales pitch, although I have had plenty since.

So, I know I can bank a year's worth of points but can I use the points from this year to book a stay for next year?
Here is what I want to do:
We have a little over 5000 points for this year and can only save 4000. I was hoping to book memorial weekend 2018 that will be made available very soon. Will that work? (assuming I can get in) Or, do this year's points have to be used during this year?
You can't directly use your 2017 points for a 2018 stay using internal exchange. You must bank your 2017 points first to 2018. Second, you must pay 75% of your 2018 MF. And third, you do the 2018 booking (DRI will use your 2017 banked points first).

You can use your 2017 point for a 2018 stay if you book before Oct 31, 2017 on II (external exchange).

nope_900

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can't directly use your 2017 points for a 2018 stay using internal exchange. You must bank your 2017 points first to 2018. Second, you must pay 75% of your 2018 MF. And third, you do the 2018 booking (DRI will use your 2017 banked points first).

You can use your 2017 point for a 2018 stay if you book before Oct 31, 2017 on II (external exchange).

Thank you so much for the response. So, if I pay the MF and bank 4000 points (max allowed) are the 1500 points lost since we have no other time to vacation this year?

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the response. So, if I pay the MF and bank 4000 points (max allowed) are the 1500 points lost since we have no other time to vacation this year?
Unfortunately you will lose them. Also, 1500 pts is too small to book a full week on II (you need at least 2000 pts for a studio low season and more for any other size/season).
So, if you don't want to lose your 1500 pts, you should look on II for 2018 or 2019 now and book something that cost less than 5500 pts using your 2017 points and after that bank any remaining points to 2018.
How many points do you need for your memorial weekend 2018 ?

nope_900

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Unfortunately you will lose them. Also, 1500 pts is too small to book a full week on II (you need at least 2000 pts for a studio low season and more for any other size/season).
So, if you don't want to lose your 1500 pts, you should look on II for 2018 or 2019 now and book something that cost less than 5500 pts using your 2017 points and after that bank any remaining points to 2018.
How many points do you need for your memorial weekend 2018 ?

You have been a great help. I would have only used about 3000-4000 points on the memorial weekend trip. After you said I would lose the 1500 points a happened to open the diamond instant getaway and found a weekend trip that would use them up and a few extra from this year. We had a sampler to use so it has been a struggle to use up the points we had for this year.