• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bad experience with timeshare [rental agent] RUTH HUNT

nydvc

Reaction score
[Added at the OP's request]

"I have attempted to rent from Ruth Hunt with disastrous results. She would email and tell me she would get back to me and never follow through. After weeks of attempting to contact her about this, I got an angry response explaining how "busy" she was and would get with me when she had a chance. If your looking for service I would look elsewhere. "

--------

Hello;

I had a bad experience with an individual timeshare rental person. This person rents other people timeshares and I want to get my experience noted so others may be warned. Are there any options? Is there a forum for posting things like that here or on redweek?

I had such a bad experience I really feel like people should know.

any recommendations?

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you can document it, post the info. People Google search these things all the time so post names and dates and resorts etc, if it's a warning you are trying to get out. To just say 'I was ripped off on a timeshare rental' isn't going to warn anyone.

We have stickies at the top of the buying, selling renting and last minute rental forums as well as on the TUG home page for people to read and be able to safeguard themselves whether they are the 'renter' or the 'landlord'.

Did you read them or at least follow their advice to keep from having a bad experience?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
A word to the wise: If you post your side of the story, the other person may come along and post their side as well. Just be prepared for that, and make sure you have your facts straight.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Bummer. To avoid that in the future you might state on the rental agreement that the unit is usable to the renter as in the rental agreement. Ours actually says "NO SUBLETTING" and the guest certificates always have the renters name on it so the renter has to show ID to get the room.

Bill

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Bummer. To avoid that in the future you might state on the rental agreement that the unit is usable to the renter as in the rental agreement. Ours actually says "NO SUBLETTING" and the guest certificates always have the renters name on it so the renter has to show ID to get the room.

Bill

Unless you talked to the OP privately, I don't see anything that says his unit was sublet? :shrug:

In fact, I'm not sure if he is the renter or the owner.

Last edited:

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless you talked to the OP privately, I don't see anything that says his unit was sublet? :shrug:

In fact, I'm not sure if he is the renter or the owner.

I think this was the confusing part: This person rents other people timeshares

I read that a second time and realized why someone might think the OP was saying they were subletting.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this was the confusing part: This person rents other people timeshares

I read that a second time and realized why someone might think the OP was saying they were subletting.

That's so weird. I did the same thing. I read the post twice and didn't think sublet. I read it a 3rd time after easyrider's post and can see that it might mean sublet, but it's not conclusive. In either case, $10 says the OP didn't get the money up front.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
A word to the wise: If you post your side of the story, the other person may come along and post their side as well. Just be prepared for that, and make sure you have your facts straight.

And more often than not, there is a third side of the story . . . the truth somewhere in the middle. :confused:

nydvc

Reaction score
Sorry for confusing everyone. It was a person who rents wyndham points for other people. Is that considered subletting? I was the renter in this case.

I agree I can post, but I dont want to sound like I am whinning. It was a case where I was trying to get a small reservation and was told a lot of talk about needing it get it soon. book immediately, etc (I have emails) so I sent all the information in for them to do the reservation and never heard back. multiple (polite) emails latter I got the angry response that it was not important to her and I could wait. This was my first time renting wyndham points or any timeshare for that mater and in my mind I was only following what she said to me. It was a case of very bad service, I did not lose money. BUT it was frustrating waiting weeks and weeks without any communication or reservations fearing the rooms would be booked. That made me angry.

I have rented DVC points and would never treat someone like that.

do you think this is too minor of an issue to bother with?

nydvc

Reaction score
That's so weird. I did the same thing. I read the post twice and didn't think sublet. I read it a 3rd time after easyrider's post and can see that it might mean sublet, but it's not conclusive. In either case, $10 says the OP didn't get the money up front.

meaning I did not pay a deposit?....I pushed to give her the deposit money because I wanted to get the reservation handled. She told me don't send money until the reservation is made. I have that in writing.

I know that some renters back out at times. this is not one of those cases.

nydvc

Reaction score
If you can document it, post the info. People Google search these things all the time so post names and dates and resorts etc, if it's a warning you are trying to get out. To just say 'I was ripped off on a timeshare rental' isn't going to warn anyone.

We have stickies at the top of the buying, selling renting and last minute rental forums as well as on the TUG home page for people to read and be able to safeguard themselves whether they are the 'renter' or the 'landlord'.

Did you read them or at least follow their advice to keep from having a bad experience?

I have all the emails that would defend my side of the story.

nydvc

Reaction score
And more often than not, there is a third side of the story . . . the truth somewhere in the middle. :confused:

PS. The more I think about this maybe your right.

Question: When you tell a renter that you will book their reservation, and they send you all their reservation information, how long of a time is reasonable to get back to them and make the reservation?

I wont say how long I waited until I get some answers. Be interested to see the responses?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
That "she" is not me. :ignore:

I either have the reservation to rent or I will immediately check inventory, if available, will booked it and then ask for full payment. When I get payment, I do the Guest Certificate and email out a copy of the reservation. ONE DAY usually; TWO Days at most. And if within the 15 day window before checkin and the reservation is NOT PAID immediately, it gets cancelled THAT SAME DAY OF BOOKING. If at my computer, I will have you on the phone and give you the price before I book it.

Sounds like, there were no availablility at the resort you wanted. Or that person was trying to get a Platinum owner to book it as YOUR contact was NOT a Wyndham owner (why they did not want any money).

Yes, there are middle agents who can talk like they own something but just know persons who are the timeshare owners (or look for a reservation on multiple websites that are available, like TUG's LMR thread). They are smart enough to NOT accept any money until they can broker a deal. Additionally, you would have paid for that reservation in 2 parts: one payment to broker (the finder's fee) and one to the actual owner. Brokers do NOT like having money flowing thru their Paypal accounts.

No, you would not have stalled a client who might want to rent from you. And most other owners, would not have either.

Brokers are different; they are not the owners. And it takes them time to try and get the reservation YOU want. And to get it at a price to make a profit over their costs and to pay the owner - most likely the owner(s) wanted enough money to cover their costs. Or they kept hoping they would come across the dates/unit/resort you wanted.

nydvc

Reaction score
That "she" is not me. :ignore:

I either have the reservation to rent or I will immediately check inventory, if available, will booked it and then ask for full payment. When I get payment, I do the Guest Certificate and email out a copy of the reservation. ONE DAY usually; TWO Days at most. And if within the 15 day window before checkin and the reservation is NOT PAID immediately, it gets cancelled THAT SAME DAY OF BOOKING. If at my computer, I will have you on the phone and give you the price before I book it.

Sounds like, there were no availablility at the resort you wanted. Or that person was trying to get a Platinum owner to book it as YOUR contact was NOT a Wyndham owner (why they did not want any money).

Yes, there are middle agents who can talk like they own something but just know persons who are the timeshare owners (or look for a reservation on multiple websites that are available, like TUG's LMR thread). They are smart enough to NOT accept any money until they can broker a deal. Additionally, you would have paid for that reservation in 2 parts: one payment to broker (the finder's fee) and one to the actual owner. Brokers do NOT like having money flowing thru their Paypal accounts.

No, you would not have stalled a client who might want to rent from you. And most other owners, would not have either.

Brokers are different; they are not the owners. And it takes them time to try and get the reservation YOU want. And to get it at a price to make a profit over their costs and to pay the owner - most likely the owner(s) wanted enough money to cover their costs. Or they kept hoping they would come across the dates/unit/resort you wanted.

She did not ask for two checks at this point, but I know there was availability. I was working with the great guy on wyndham owners that was helping me get my feet wet, so I wanted to rent from him because he was so helpful. I knew there was availability from him. He uses this person.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
So this is a rant about rude behavior by someone the OP tried to rent from.
It sure is frustrating to deal with someone who won't give you the time of day.
Lack of civility and common curtesy is prevelant these days in every walk of life.

Last edited:

nydvc

Reaction score
So this is a rant about rude behavior by someone the OP tried to rent from.
It sure is frustrating to deal with someone who won't give you the time of day.
Lack of civility and common curtesy is prevelant these days in in every walk of life.

So do you post it? Do you think its worth it or move on? What are your thoughts?

Yeah it was rude. although it goes beyond that somewhat In my mind she also lied, made statements and never followed through to a customer.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
To paraphrase a famous movie, "What we have here is a failure to communicate." Sure, something unfortunate happened. But honestly it could have been avoided by better communication. A better rental agreement from the person renting the unit, Better communication on what and when and where compensation was desired.

The OP is surely a nice person, wanting to provide a vacation for his loved ones, but as evidenced by the unclear posts in the thread- we can't even tell who the players are, who is the renter and who is the rentee and whether there is or was a sublet.

I think this whole thing is overblown and the OP is just whining. It's unfortunate. That's all, I can't see any underlying desire for anyone to defraud anyone.

Move on and next time rent from someone who has more experience and has their 'T's crossed and 'I's dotted.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, you're wondering if we think the behavior of this person deserves to be publicly embarrassed? I'd say probably not.

Yes, that person was very rude and inconsiderate, but there could have been far worse committed. I just don't think it would be right to "out" them here. Just move on and refuse to do business with them in the future.

One thing for sure, these types of dilemmas are very popular subjects on TUG. You'll get enough feedback here to make your own decision.

nydvc

Reaction score
To paraphrase a famous movie, "What we have here is a failure to communicate." Sure, something unfortunate happened. But honestly it could have been avoided by better communication. A better rental agreement from the person renting the unit, Better communication on what and when and where compensation was desired.

The OP is surely a nice person, wanting to provide a vacation for his loved ones, but as evidenced by the unclear posts in the thread- we can't even tell who the players are, who is the renter and who is the rentee and whether there is or was a sublet.

I think this whole thing is overblown and the OP is just whining. It's unfortunate. That's all, I can't see any underlying desire for anyone to defraud anyone.

Move on and next time rent from someone who has more experience and has their 'T's crossed and 'I's dotted.

I agree, she was not trying to defraud or she would of gotten the money when I offered to send it.That is part of the confusion, she tells me multiple times to book soon, we will jump on this then never does? This is about BAD SERVICE IMO and whether it is something other people should be told about.

and 1 vote for whinning so far.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, she was not trying to defraud or she would of gotten the money when I offered to send it.That is part of the confusion, she tells me multiple times to book soon, we will jump on this then never does? This is about BAD SERVICE IMO and whether it is something other people should be told about.

and 1 vote for whinning so far.

I, for one, would like to know so that I don't give these folks my business or if I do, I'll have low expectations. Last year I was looking at staying at a Wyndham in Florida and had been looking for a rental source.

Please, if you're comfortable with this, will you PM me with the name of the company ?

Thank you.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
She did not ask for two checks at this point, but I know there was availability. I was working with the great guy on wyndham owners that was helping me get my feet wet, so I wanted to rent from him because he was so helpful. I knew there was availability from him. He uses this person.

Okay, and your guy on the Wyndham Owners did NOT rent to you because??? He uses this person - why - if he is the owner, why would he just NOT rent to you directly. He is telling you there is availabilty, but he would NOT rent to you? Duh?

Remember, Wyndham owners can RENT extra points from Wyndham for $8/K if the reservation is within 90 days. A Guest Certificate is $99 (if over their limit). If your Wyndham Owner's Board guy is Platinum VIP, he would only need to be inside the 60 day window to get a discount of 50% off the required points. Better than my discount and many other owners who rent a reservation or 20 here on TUG.

Again, he "uses" this person - to rent his reservations to others? This makes this middle person a broker who does NOT own Wyndham points - renting others reservations as a middle man/woman.

Can you explain WHY the Wyndham boards guy is telling you there are units, passing you off to a 3rd party who is stalling you, and you are unhappy with the 3rd party who is not renting something to you?

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the PM.

I understand and really appreciate this "heads up" !

You've saved me a potentially ruined vacation by waiting for a booking that may/may not happen.

There's a Wyndham I'd like to stay at in Florida , so when I put out the feelers for this resort, I'll be sure to decline this person's "assistance".

Last edited:

nydvc

Reaction score
Okay, and your guy on the Wyndham Owners did NOT rent to you because??? He uses this person - why - if he is the owner, why would he just NOT rent to you directly. He is telling you there is availabilty, but he would NOT rent to you? Duh?

*****I don't know, I did request that from him twice, but he seemed to imply he was too busy and did not bother doing it himself. I have access to the wyndham site and KNOW there was availability. and I got it from another renter with a week. ******

Remember, Wyndham owners can RENT extra points from Wyndham for $8/K if the reservation is within 90 days. A Guest Certificate is $99 (if over their limit). If your Wyndham Owner's Board guy is Platinum VIP, he would only need to be inside the 60 day window to get a discount of 50% off the required points. Better than my discount and many other owners who rent a reservation or 20 here on TUG.

Again, he "uses" this person - to rent his reservations to others? This makes this middle person a broker who does NOT own Wyndham points - renting others reservations as a middle man/woman.

Can you explain WHY the Wyndham boards guy is telling you there are units, passing you off to a 3rd party who is stalling you, and you are unhappy with the 3rd party who is not renting something to you?

*****I got the reservation in a week from another party, there was availability. No I cant tell you specifically why he uses a third party I can only guess as stated above. and I am unhappy with the third party because she said she would make the reservation a few times and never followed through.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would wait 24 hours, 48 hours tops. Most of the time that I have been on either side of a rental situation, I've heard from people who are extremely urgent and saying they will book, etc., only to have to them flake off. I just chalk it up to them being an a$$ and I move on.