• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott BUYBACKS AND TAKEBACKS [2012 / Ongoing]

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
I asked them about buying back our 2-bedroom week at the Grand Chateau, and this is the response I received. The price was much too low and I declined.

Dear Mr.

Thank you for your email. At this time, Marriott Vacation Club International (MVCI) can extend an offer to purchase your Platinum Season 2 Bedroom Excellent View week at Marriott’s Grand Chateau for $3,400 less $500 administrative and processing fees. At closing, your approximate net proceeds will be $2,900*. The first year occupancy to MVCI will be 2014. The closing timeframe is anticipated to be within 150 days of your acceptance.

In order to qualify for this offer, any applicable loan, maintenance fee balance and/or taxes must be current. This offer is valid through Tuesday, September 18, 2012. If you desire to accept this offer, you must contact the Resale Operations department no later than 5:00 pm that day. This offer is subject to change at any time with or without notice. If you desire to decline this offer and would like to remain on the registration list for future sale opportunities,please contact Resale Operations by the date indicated above. If we do not receive a response from you by the date indicated above, it will be assumed that you no longer desire to sell and subsequently your registration may be removed from the list.

Please respond to resale.operations@vacationclub.com or contact us toll free at 1-866-682-4547. Should you desire to discuss this offer in more detail, please do not hesitate to give us a call. Thank you in advance for your consideration and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

So let's see, buy unit for $3400, convert to 3200 trust points, sell those points for $11.45 or approx $36500 minus expenses. Nice deal for marriot.:eek:

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting about Fairway Villas. I would have never guessed that resort as one Marriott would build out any time soon, if ever. Then again, that is a resort I do not follow, but I've heard great things about it. Someone from my work who lives in Bucks County, PA has friends who spend Thanksgiving there every year.

I thought Aruba was one of the resort areas Marriott is currently selling via resales but I guess not.

Marriott should sell reslae weeks for every resort. I do not understand why that is not the case right now, honestly.

The woman told me that they expect to open resales for Surf Club sometime next year. There is no estimate for Fairway Villas because they are now planning to build another building, which won't open until 2014. The purpose is to sell more points, from what I was told. We'll see if it really happens.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
Interesting about Fairway Villas. I would have never guessed that resort as one Marriott would build out any time soon, if ever. Then again, that is a resort I do not follow, but I've heard great things about it. Someone from my work who lives in Bucks County, PA has friends who spend Thanksgiving there every year.

I thought Aruba was one of the resort areas Marriott is currently selling via resales but I guess not.

Marriott should sell reslae weeks for every resort. I do not understand why that is not the case right now, honestly.

As far as the build-out, I should say that my source is the front desk at the resort. I had asked if there were any plans to build the next building and she said that they just had a meeting a few weeks prior to say that another building will be built. They were told the purpose is to sell points.

As far as the resort, since I have owned there (10 years) I have been there 5 times. Each time during the peak of the summer. Each time, the entire resort is full. I have even tried to get a week during spring/fall for an extra week via II or even a night through Marriott. I have never found inventory. I know others have, but I have not. So it is a pretty popular location. It is such an easy drive from NY and even from Boston. That's a majority of the visitors that we meet.

For resale, I believe the entire resort must be sold out before they start resale. Ocean Club in Aruba has resale, but Surf Club does not. I do not know if they are 100% sold out, but I would guess not. Probably really close though.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I just called the number out of curiosity, not really wanting to sell.
They offered:
Aruba Surf Club Gold GV 2BR LO - $3000 less $500 admin fee ($2500 total)
Fairway Villas Platinum 2BR - $2300 less $500 admin fee ($1800 total)
There is not currently a resale program through Marriott for either property, so that was not an option. (referring to having them list my weeks for resale and they take 40% commission)

Is Marriott saying what these timeshare weeks are really worth? I'd hate to ask them about my mud season Vail studio's worth to them!!! :rolleyes:

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
As far as the build-out, I should say that my source is the front desk at the resort. I had asked if there were any plans to build the next building and she said that they just had a meeting a few weeks prior to say that another building will be built. They were told the purpose is to sell points.

As far as the resort, since I have owned there (10 years) I have been there 5 times. Each time during the peak of the summer. Each time, the entire resort is full. I have even tried to get a week during spring/fall for an extra week via II or even a night through Marriott. I have never found inventory. I know others have, but I have not. So it is a pretty popular location. It is such an easy drive from NY and even from Boston. That's a majority of the visitors that we meet.

For resale, I believe the entire resort must be sold out before they start resale. Ocean Club in Aruba has resale, but Surf Club does not. I do not know if they are 100% sold out, but I would guess not. Probably really close though.

Not only NY, Jersey and Boston but also Philadelphia, eastern Pennsylvania, Delaware and Baltimore. It's a very busy resort spring thru fall. I'm trying to get one nignt in Oct. for a golf trip and no luck so far.

ginnylbs

TUG Member
Reaction score
I phoned them and got immediate response

I submitted a Platinum week online lets see how fast they get back to me

We own a Sports Week "Marriott Cypress Harbor - 2 bedroom" and their offer was $2200 less $500 fee....which will net us $ 1700. If they don'y close by end of Dec., they said they would re-imburse us for the 2013 maint. fees.

This was done yeserday.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
Less than zero

I disagree. Marriott, thru the magic of the DC, is now able to turn these weeks into points. Abara Cadabra presto chango poof!

Maybe we can start building a database of recent marriott offers for buybacks.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I disagree. Marriott, thru the magic of the DC, is now able to turn these weeks into points. Abara Cadabra presto chango poof!

Maybe we can start building a database of recent marriott offers for buybacks.

You can disagree all you want but try asking Marriott what they would offer for a Vail mud week studio. Just because it has a point value on a chart doesn't mean it is worth much in real dollars. There is no way they take this unit for more than zero after netting the $500 fee.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
You can disagree all you want but try asking Marriott what they would offer for a Vail mud week studio. Just because it has a point value on a chart doesn't mean it is worth much in real dollars. There is no way they take this unit for more than zero after netting the $500 fee.

Everything has value my friend. It just depends upon your point of view.
A plot of swampland in central Florida is worthless to me, but to a Florida developer it may be a gold mine. Just sayin;)

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Waiohai, Grand Chateau, Desert Springs Villas, Willow Ridge
EOY buybacks?

Has anyone heard of offers by Marriott to buy back any every other year weeks?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Some of the low value weeks actually were offered 0 (ZERO) points for enrollment. I think some of the low value ski resorts were like this.

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of offers by Marriott to buy back any every other year weeks?

Good day! We are pleased to inform you Marriott Vacation Club is currently accepting listings for Marriott’s Newport Coast. Our records indicate that you previously contacted our office and registered an interest in selling your ownership.

The current list price for a Newport Coast Platinum 2 bedroom every-other-year unit is $8,450. After commission (40% of sale price), approximate net proceeds would be $5,070 *. If you are still interested in selling your ownership, please notify our office via email or telephone.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Good day! We are pleased to inform you Marriott Vacation Club is currently accepting listings for Marriott’s Newport Coast. Our records indicate that you previously contacted our office and registered an interest in selling your ownership.

The current list price for a Newport Coast Platinum 2 bedroom every-other-year unit is $8,450. After commission (40% of sale price), approximate net proceeds would be $5,070 *. If you are still interested in selling your ownership, please notify our office via email or telephone.

This is different than a buyback. Sometimes in order to get a listing, you have to have been on a resale waiting list for a while, perhaps years. A buyback would happen pretty fast (150 days?), but waiting on a resale waiting list for an eventual listing could take considerably longer.

travelhound

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Giving them back my Monarch week

It is a pathetic buyback offer, but it goes in the trust. In points, my 2 BR Hilton head week during PGA tournament worth less than a 1BR Vegas in the worst season. From the reps... Apples and oranges - why are you worried about the new sytstem? You would obviously never use it ;)

Good riddance as I don't want the long term liability.

rsackett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Harbour Point
It is a pathetic buyback offer, but it goes in the trust. In points, my 2 BR Hilton head week during PGA tournament worth less than a 1BR Vegas in the worst season. From the reps... Apples and oranges - why are you worried about the new sytstem? You would obviously never use it ;)

Good riddance as I don't want the long term liability.

If you don't mind saying, what was the offer?

Ray

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
For a goof I asked about my Frenchman's Cove and Aruba Ocean Club weeks. Marriott offered $3200 net (after fees) for my Frenchman's Cove 2 bedroom Platinum week and $3900 net (after fees) for my Aruba Ocean Club 2 bedroom Oceanfront Gold week.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
so whats this one on ebay worth

Marriott Lakeshore Reserve, Orlando Fl. 2 bed 2 bath, Platinum Season, Lockoff
how high can the buyer go and still get a double?

Nice job on that Lakeshore auction Ron.
Looks like you got a good price. :)

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
They never did respond to my email but i called and got an offer over the phone. Less than what I paid but probably more than it would bring on ebay. Now I need to think it over.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Out of curiousity I contacted Marriott about our 1BR Platinum Grand Chateau week. They offered $2400 minus $500 in administrative fees for a net of approximately $1900. I think we're going to take the deal because we bought it resale and actually will make money. I want to start trimming down the number of weeks we own and in looking at some resale history on ebay, etc., a one bedroom just isn't that interesting to people. So, this is a good deal for us.

Purefct

TUG Member
Reaction score
What number did you call Marriott at and how much did they offer you? Any fees? What season and unit size/specs did you sell?

Last edited by a moderator:

gottspd

Reaction score
What number did you call Marriott at and how much did they offer you? Any fees? What season and unit size/specs did you sell?

The resale dept. I don't have the number on hand but it was easy to find. The season was special I believe. The one that includes spring break. I believe all ch units are 2 bedroom. Yes there are fees. I don't want to discuss any numbers but the price and fees were reasonable.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

Purefct, I moved your post to this current ongoing thread because it's possible that Marriott will not match the offer that was made months ago for a similar Week.

Post #2 in this thread includes a link to Marriott Vacation Club Resales; the (new?) tab on that page, Sell Weeks, brings up this info (bolding mine):
Sell Your Week with Confidence
Licensed real estate professionals in the Marriott Vacation Club® Resales Operations department offer personalized service to Owners who have an interest in selling their timeshare week.
Special Benefits of Selling Your Timeshare Here
A Marriott Vacation Club representative is ready to discuss your viable resale options.*
No up-front fees.
Brokerage commission is not due until the time of closing.
Marriott Resorts Hospitality Corporation, or its affiliates, will market and sell your week to consumers seeking resales.
Purchasers of eligible inventory will have the ability to trade their timeshare for Marriott Rewards® points.
Your resales transaction will be managed from contract through closing with personalized service.
Please call 866-389-1458 to speak with a Marriott Vacation Club professional Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m. ET.
*Week must be owned at a Marriott Vacation Club resort property.

Good luck!