• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

This is why I love my Marriott timeshare!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
You are both correct -- I love my Marriott, but I also love my Hilton, my Starwood and my WM. I love them for different reasons.

Marriott is the core of my family vacations and will be for years and years to come.

Hilton has great spots in Hawaii for my sweetie and me to go away for a week just the two of us.

Starwood has great spots in the Caribbean when I am lucky enough to get a week there with Staroptions. Someday I may use those StarOptions for a week in Hawaii -- TBD

Worldmark rocks as a trader and for getting blocks of rooms for family reunions (and weekends in Big Bear).

Each plays a role -- but the core remains my 3BR unit at Maui -- when I think about my timeshares I always come back to that property.

I also am confident that in 15-20+ years the property will still be there and will still be maintained very very well as a property to be proud of. Frankly, it is sad when I read about a property that is closing or pushing through enormous SA's because I'm sure there are people that loved those properties too and are saddened by a bitter ending. I hope there's no bitter ending coming for Maui Ocean Club....

Today I love all of my timeshares -- and love MOC the most.

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

ondeadlin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Worldmark trades:

Marriott Ocean Club, Maui, 2BR, last week of July
Marriott Summit Watch, last week of March/first week of April
Marriott Mountainside, last week of March/first week of April

In my experience a Worldmark week will get you any Marriott you want except a week 51/52. This is mostly a product of Marriott's size - there are just so many units that if you put your request in early enough and if you have a strong enough week, there's a very good chance you'll be matched.

But it's not a guarantee. I think a lot of this debate is about the guarantee - people who pay the premium want a guarantee of access (the irony, of course, is that they don't usually get one, they just improve their chances).

People who pay a premium also almost religiously cling to the idea that you can't trade in, but my experiences is that most folks don't want to do the work it requires to trade in, i.e. place their request a year or more in advance and be patient.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Too much focus on trade as the only way to get in. If you assume that then the picture for non-owners is all wrong. Trading into those high demand locations can be tough to impossible - for owners too. Instead look at the cost of the fees PLUS the exchange fee (nearly $200 more) then see what can be rented, more easily then ever before, at those locations. Bingo! You can virtually name your view, location & date - and the owners do the tough job of getting it! Then, with some serious or even casual bickering, usually obtain what you want for about the fees plus trade fees or less. Some will ask outrageous prices and a few actually get them but most will cave to covering fees as the date draws closer & they have no renter.

So while exchanging in can be tough to near impossible renting is a virtual guarantee you'll get what you want. And your choices aren't limited to just Marriott but to all resorts. That's value. And you too can enjoy Marriott (or Hilton or DVC or Starwood ...)

Just know your options rather than assuming you "have to buy" or "must be an owner". And be thankful there are those willing to be owners as that's how we non-owners get easy access to some great resorts. That goes for branded or not. That's not meant as a buzz kill but simply placing good options up to and including ownership as viable ways to get the places you want to visit.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Let us acknowledge that SueDonJ is a Marriott apologist who will never let herself be confused with facts, and Timeos2 is a stubborn buzz kill who refuses to let others enjoy their purchases. Auhentic perspective can be gleaned from others who have posted here, and is somewhere in between the two diehards. Eiher way, let the Marriott owners enjoy their Marriotts!

Appalling.

H

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Too much focus on trade as the only way to get in. If you assume that then the picture for non-owners is all wrong. Trading into those high demand locations can be tough to impossible - for owners too. Instead look at the cost of the fees PLUS the exchange fee (nearly $200 more) then see what can be rented, more easily then ever before, at those locations. Bingo! You can virtually name your view, location & date - and the owners do the tough job of getting it! Then, with some serious or even casual bickering, usually obtain what you want for about the fees plus trade fees or less. Some will ask outrageous prices and a few actually get them but most will cave to covering fees as the date draws closer & they have no renter.

So while exchanging in can be tough to near impossible renting is a virtual guarantee you'll get what you want. And your choices aren't limited to just Marriott but to all resorts. That's value. And you too can enjoy Marriott (or Hilton or DVC or Starwood ...)

Just know your options rather than assuming you "have to buy" or "must be an owner". And be thankful there are those willing to be owners as that's how we non-owners get easy access to some great resorts. That goes for branded or not. That's not meant as a buzz kill but simply placing good options up to and including ownership as viable ways to get the places you want to visit.

All true, John, but being able to easily rent the brand-names isn't the only contention that you made earlier in this thread, when you compared the brand-name and stand-alone timeshare values. Now you're saying that the comparison is unnecessary because anyone who wants to simply rent doesn't have to buy anything!

You've said that a person can use a stand-alone unit as easily as a brand-name unit to get an exchange into one of the brand-names. That's not completely true - the Marriott or Starwood or any other brand-name preference in II increases the odds of the high-demand intervals in a certain name-brand system being matched to owners in those systems. Does it mean every Marriott deposit to II goes to only other Marriott owners? Or Starwood deposits only go to Starwood owners? No, of course not, because of all the variables involved in playing the exchange game. But the preference definitely affects the odds. Are you now acknowledging that, "... exchanging in can be tough to near impossible ..." depending upon what you own and what you want?

Last edited:

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Beefnot, seriously? 167 Posts is a bit early to roll with this --- and I don't agree at all.

Make it 168. You dont have to agree, but my number of posts has nothing to do with my ability to read and weed through the voluminous history of postings and opinions memorialized in these forums. I have pored through tons of threads over the last few months and have arrived at conclusions that you do not share. We can agree that you should be free to love your brand. It's all good.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Make it 168. You dont have to agree, but my number of posts has nothing to do with my ability to read and weed through the voluminous history of postings and opinions memorialized in these forums. I have pored through tons of threads over the last few months and have arrived at conclusions that you do not share. We can agree that you should be free to love your brand. It's all good.

No it's not.

It's no secret that I love my Marriott timeshares and all the related Marriott travel options that the timeshares opened up to us. If that's what being a Marriott apologist is, then I am one. Want me to scream it from a rooftop? Sure, no problem. (But, I think you misunderstand the definition of an apologist.)

The other thing, though? You're way off. I really would like for you to back up what you say with some direct quotes. I have strong opinions just like anyone else, but I don't make up or distort facts to support them. So, put up or shut up.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll have to shut up then, because I'm not going back through all your pro-DC and pro-developer koolaid posts to prove my point. Enjoy your Marriott though :)

Last edited:

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Sue the term apologist doesn't quite fit. Like Sue and others I really like the Marriott TS system. I like the fact that Greg T started this post and several times I've been ready to chime in with great stories and pictures.

Then the Klingon's roll in shooting up the place with random gunfire going all over the place. I used to return fire occasionally but not so much anymore. Sue shoots straighter than I do anyway so there's no need.

I'll be leaving for Frenchman's Cove and St Croix for about a month in a few days. If I see any non-Marriott folks at the pool on Presidents week I'll be sure to post.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'll have to shut up then, because I'm not going back through all your pro-DC and pro-developer koolaid posts to prove my point. Enjoy your Marriott though :)

Uh huh. Just as I thought.

You know what I really don't understand? Why you chose this thread to drop that bomb. I haven't once said here that my particular Weeks would be impossible trades in II for anyone who doesn't own a Marriott. I haven't once agreed with any Marriott owner who has said that his/her particular Week is an example of an impossible trade in II for anyone who doesn't own a Marriott. I haven't ever said anything about people who prefer owning something other than a Marriott Week, being wrong or deluded by their preference for that something. I have said here that exchanging in II can be a crap shoot where sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

So, why this thread? Or is it just that you have a basic and unexplainable aversion to seeing my name in any thread? Because if that's the case, you should do the decent thing and tell me so that I can block you. Thanks. :)

Last edited:

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Uh huh. Just as I thought.

You know what I really don't understand? Why you chose this thread to drop that bomb. I haven't once said here that my particular Weeks would be impossible trades in II for anyone who doesn't own a Marriott. I haven't once agreed with any Marriott owner who has said that his/her particular Week is an example of an impossible trade in II for anyone who doesn't own a Marriott. I haven't ever said anything about people who prefer owning something other than a Marriott Week, being wrong or deluded by their preference for that something. I have said here that exchanging in II can be a crap shoot where sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

So, why this thread? Or is it just that you have a basic and unexplainable aversion to seeing my name in any thread? Because if that's the case, you should do the decent thing and tell me so that I can block you. Thanks. :)

I have also not denigrated Marriott owners for owning Marriott, so we are in agreement there. If you recall, i owned a Marriott for all of a couple months, and i do believe in the quality of the brand. Based on personal experience thus far in II and experiences from others, i find that maybe as much as 90% of what Marriottians can pull, others can also pull with non-Marriott. It is that other 10% as well as the psychological satisfaction of ownership vs. hoping & renting vs. hoping & exchanging, that appeals to the Marriotians, and I have no beef with that.

SueDonJ, I will apologize for calling you out in this thread, because reading back through this thread I realize that you did not make the hyperbolic assertions about the impenetrable power of Marriott for Marriott trades as others, but perhaps i was subconsciously attributing these to you based on prior koolaid posts from you in other threads. So my bad on that. I dont have an aversion to you at all; actually i find you quite amusing. But block me as you see fit. Respectfully.

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Joe, is the Marriott Newport Coast really considered a top Marriot or hard to trade into Marriott as you seem to say in your post below? If I tied to exchange into there in this May with a non Gold Crown rated Resort with a white week through II what would you say the chances would be percentage wise getting a like for like two bedroom with a el-cheapo white week?
Is it also true that your NewPort only has a ocean view over 1/2 mile away from the ocean.

Bruce :D

We're any of these prime season weeks? 2BDRM units that you received?

I'm not trying to be a snob but I'm going to Maui on Presidents week in a 2BDRM OF Maui Marriott(although I did rent the studio I did have a 2BDRM), flying 1st class on AA miles because I could book at the earliest opportunity.

You can't compare Oahu or the Big Island with the Marriott Maui Ocean Club or anything in Vegas or Orlando with any of the top Marriott locations like Aruba or Hilton Head Island or Newport Coast because they don't compare in demand or in quality for that matter.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Joe, is the Marriott Newport Coast really considered a top Marriot or hard to trade into Marriott as you seem to say in your post below? If I tied to exchange into there in this May with a non Gold Crown rated Resort with a white week through II what would you say the chances would be percentage wise getting a like for like two bedroom with a el-cheapo white week?
Is it also true that your NewPort only has a ocean view over 1/2 mile away from the ocean.

I would say that getting in to Newport Coast is fairly easy in II, except for those peak June, July, and August weeks, and perhaps also 51 and 52. The rest of the year is probably pretty easy. It is a huge resort.

We used a Grande Vista 1BR gold week to get in to February. Of course February is pretty off season and May might be a little harder. But I think one would be successful with a white week. Of course a lot of the better shoulder season weeks will get snapped up by Marriott owners during the preference period.

Newport Coast may be about a half mile from the ocean but it is on a hilltop, so it has some spectacular views. There are no view categories and owners tend to be given the units with great ocean views.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Wow. I think for the first time ever on TUG, I'm shocked speechless.

Not sure why you are shocked speechless Sue, it isn't like this is the first
time you have been called a Marriott apologist :)

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

Not Joe (of course :) ) but if you check the sightings board there are lots of sightings of off-season Newport Coast. I see more - and better - weeks with my Marriott, no question. Right now there aren't any May weeks, but I think I have seen them in the past. Personally, I wouldn't go there in May, but you never know, you may get lucky with the weather. The fall is much nicer along the coast in southern Ca, in my opinion. The summer months are beautiful there, but I have never seen any of them with any of my weeks.

Last edited:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would say that getting in to Newport Coast is fairly easy in II, except for those peak June, July, and August weeks, and perhaps also 51 and 52. The rest of the year is probably pretty easy. It is a huge resort.

I'm someone who wants the "except for" weeks and those are the weeks I'm referring to that you really need to own to get.

You also have to offer fair value to trade for the "except for" weeks and that is the whole disagreement in this thread.

What I find amusing is those that try to refute have no experience obtaining these weeks but yet they speak as an authority. And no a May week at Newport Coast is not a prime week.

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm someone who wants the "except for" weeks and those are the weeks I'm referring to that you really need to own to get.

You also have to offer fair value to trade for the "except for" weeks and that is the whole disagreement in this thread.

What I find amusing is those that try to refute have no experience obtaining these weeks but yet they speak as an authority. And no a May week at Newport Coast is not a prime week.

Quoting Joe "You can't compare Oahu or the Big Island with the Marriott Maui Ocean Club or anything in Vegas or Orlando with any of the top Marriott locations like Aruba or Hilton Head Island or
Newport Coast because they don't compare in demand or in quality for that matter. "Unquote

Joe, just to make sure are your referring to me as you did NOT use the Marriott NewPort as a Prime Marriott resort in your post I first quoted as a example and I questioned it as it relates to value? Now are you saying the Newport is not a prime resort and so easy to exchange into with a elcheapo white week even if the total cost including all II exchange costs is far less than 1/2 the about $995 Newport yearly maintenace fees?

So Joe are you saying a Marriott Owner using a May weeh at Newport is getting a bad value for their $20,000 "investment" and about $995 yearly MF's? while other can exchange in with 5% of the buyin investment of a Marriott and far less MF's are in the same boat?

It appears that II who knows far more about the value a resort offers sets the trade power because II is like for like on demand is not blinded like some Marriott owners about trade power and value.

In regards to it not being directly on the Ocean you at time in a post degraded a Keys timeshare because it was on directly on the Gulf and not on the cold ocean side? Do you remember? So the excuse is that you can see the water 1/2 mile away is interesting I find :rofl: that amusing.

We will again be at the Newport with a ownership reservation that when prorated but not including rental income is about :hysterical: $165 per reservation and then ad the II fees or well over $600 less than a Newport owner pays.

After we use the Newport with its 1/2 mile distant ocean View we will move to a true ocean front resort.

Joe, keep signing to the same Marriot Choir but II, and those of us who have owned at and sold maybe 10, 20 or 50 or more timeshares and not get talked into developer prices are :rofl: at some of the justafications buying from Marriott at developer prices is a great financial investment.

Enjoy but do not say buying from Marriott at developer prices is a great financial investment.

PS

IMHO Boca, Times2 , and other are correct and saying 1,000 times or 2,000 times or more that buying from Marriott at developer prices is a great investment will not make it so.

Last edited:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Quoting Joe "You can't compare Oahu or the Big Island with the Marriott Maui Ocean Club or anything in Vegas or Orlando with any of the top Marriott locations like Aruba or Hilton Head Island or
Newport Coast because they don't compare in demand or in quality for that matter. "Unquote

Joe, just to make sure are your referring to me as you did NOT use the Marriott NewPort as a Prime Marriott resort in your post I first quoted as a example and I questioned it as it relates to value? Now are you saying the Newport is not a prime resort and so easy to exchange into with a elcheapo white week even if the total cost including all II exchange costs is far less than 1/2 the about $995 Newport yearly maintenace fees?

So Joe are you saying a Marriott Owner using a May weeh at Newport is getting a bad value for their $20,000 "investment" and about $995 yearly MF's? while other can exchange in with 5% of the buyin investment of a Marriott and far less MF's are in the same boat?

It appears that II who knows far more about the value a resort offers sets the trade power because II is like for like on demand is not blinded like some Marriott owners about trade power and value.

In regards to it not being directly on the Ocean you at time in a post degraded a Keys timeshare because it was on directly on the Gulf and not on the cold ocean side? Do you remember? So the excuse is that you can see the water 1/2 mile away is interesting I find :rofl: that amusing.

We will again be at the Newport with a ownership reservation that when prorated but not including rental income is about :hysterical: $165 per reservation and then ad the II fees or well over $600 less than a Newport owner pays.

After we use the Newport with its 1/2 mile distant ocean View we will move to a true ocean front resort.

Joe, keep signing to the same Marriot Choir but II, and those of us who have owned at and sold maybe 10, 20 or 50 or more timeshares and not get talked into developer prices are :rofl: at some of the justafications buying from Marriott at developer prices is a great financial investment.

Enjoy but do not say buying from Marriott at developer prices is a great financial investment.

PS

IMHO Boca, Times2 , and other are correct and saying 1,000 times or 2,000 times or more that buying from Marriott at developer prices is a great investment will not make it so.

I stand by my quote 100%. With all due respect Bruce if you don't know the difference between a May Newport and a Summer Newport you should stay on the sidelines of the discussion.

Also this argument is not about buying direct, the last direct I bought was in 2004 so not sure why you mention that.

What this is about is non-Marrriott owners talking about something they know very little about and your point validates that.

You and John trying to argue about Marriott would be like me arguing about the merits of your Christmas Mountain or Westgate or whatever the heck you guys own.

I wouldn't do it because I know very little about it, only what I read here on TUG, so IMHO you shouldn't really comment too much on Marriott because you don't have first hand experience.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have also not denigrated Marriott owners for owning Marriott, so we are in agreement there. If you recall, i owned a Marriott for all of a couple months, and i do believe in the quality of the brand. Based on personal experience thus far in II and experiences from others, i find that maybe as much as 90% of what Marriottians can pull, others can also pull with non-Marriott. It is that other 10% as well as the psychological satisfaction of ownership vs. hoping & renting vs. hoping & exchanging, that appeals to the Marriotians, and I have no beef with that.

SueDonJ, I will apologize for calling you out in this thread, because reading back through this thread I realize that you did not make the hyperbolic assertions about the impenetrable power of Marriott for Marriott trades as others, but perhaps i was subconsciously attributing these to you based on prior koolaid posts from you in other threads. So my bad on that. I dont have an aversion to you at all; actually i find you quite amusing. But block me as you see fit. Respectfully.

Now this is very decent, Beef. Thank you. I like reading everyone on TUG, even when I don't agree with what they write, and I'd hate to have start an ignore list with your name.

And now that I know that you sometimes respond to the voices in your head instead of the words on the screen in front of you, I think I'm better prepared to dodge your random Klingon gunfire. It's all good. :D

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stand by my quote 100%. With all due respect Bruce if you don't know the difference between a May Newport and a Summer Newport you should stay on the sidelines of the discussion.

Also this argument is not about buying direct, the last direct I bought was in 2004 so not sure why you mention that.

What this is about is non-Marrriott owners talking about something they know very little about and your point validates that.

You and John trying to argue about Marriott would be like me arguing about the merits of your Christmas Mountain or Westgate or whatever the heck you guys own.

I wouldn't do it because I know very little about it, only what I read here on TUG, so IMHO you shouldn't really comment too much on Marriott because you don't have first hand experience.

Joe, your problem is Quote" or whatever the heck you guys own" Unquote. Your " or whatever the heck you guys own" shows do turely do not understand the many other systems out there and want to keep your Marriott ststem Blinders on. So you are trapped by your lack of over:confused: all timeshare knownlegde of other systems.

Joe Thank you and the others who bought direct thanks for paying the huge upfront cost so peons like can exchange into your Marriotts with our cheap resales. Thank nyou again.

Joe, I know enough about Marriott that I would not waste money buying from a deleveloper like you did. I would not buy at a overbuilt Marriott off water location that has just under 1,000 units and sell at a lost on ebay like the Newports do at 65% to 75% off of developer costs. That is a poor "investment" Those types of losses could be IMHO better used to fund a Collage education.

For 1/20 or less the money we picked up a ocean front resort with ocean front one bedroom unit at the Laguna` Surf about 5 to 7 miles south of the Marriott and only has 25 units and is a far more difficult exchange than a prime time New Port.Marriot had to build at a left over off ocean location. They are only a 1 bed sleep 4 but I spent about 5% of the money for a Ocean Front unit that even has a fireplace. The view is so much nicer from those units that the NewPort has of the Ocean.

I am now in a Gold Crown Puerto Vallarta Ocean Front resort that we own 4 of and rent out 2 to cover our MF exspences. All units are Ocean Front within 100 feet of the water and there is only 46 units. Same latitude as Hawaii and the basically the same weather but so much more cost effective with on the average better service people at 1/10 the buy-in and far lesser MF's.

Newport as I will not call it tne Marriott Newport Beach as it is not on the beach:rofl: when we were out their last year.

FYI that knownlegde you lacking about ownerships like our Rushes fixed week 26 for prime weeks has a higher resale than your Newport even though it is a lot older. Ask your Marriott Friends who own at a RCI resort if they Have exchanged into the Rushes from week 26 through the second week of August. I doubt they have as only 2 or 3 of those type of weeks are banked each year.

You take in less in rental income than I do and get less exchanges than I do IMHO not have more all around timeshare experiance having bough 50 timeshares and sold 25. I can exchange through far more exchange companies than you at a lesser ongoing cost.

We have one ownership that allowed us to exchange into Disney when it was II several times. But we can use that same ownership to exchange into Disney through RCI. Can your Marriott do that for you now? Flexibilty is important.

Joe, is their a program to help people who got sucked in by Marriott Developer sales who think Marriott is the only thing in timesharing and really do not get the full picture? Then they choose to become a one trick pony with very limited moptic vison.

They IMHO should enjoy their nice resorts and some are very nice resorts but does Marriotts make up 5% or even 1% of the world wide inventory and to limit IMHO knowlegde only to the Marriotts is so sad.

PS
This fall instead of exchaning into the Marriott we up graded through II and exchanged inti the Planet Hollywood. in Las Vegas.

Bruce:D

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Newport as I will not call it tne Marriott Newport Beach as it is not on the beach:rofl: when we were out their last year.

You probably shouldn't call it Newport Beach anyway. The name of the resort is Marriott's Newport© Coast Villas. Marriott actually uses the name with permission from The Irvine Company.

Last edited:

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
this argument is not about buying direct ....

Unfortunately what this thread started out as has little to do with what it's become as it was highjacked days ago.

Time and time again, it's the same highjacker declaring his view as the only possible scenario. So "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" as the Great Oz was blowing smoke.

Hopefully, Team Marriott can return this thread to the original topic.

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
You probably shouldn't call it Newport Beach anyway. The name of the resort is Marriott's Newport© Coast Villas. Marriott actually uses the name with permission from The Irvine Company.

Point taken but, coast means to most people on the water, not back in the hills like that Marriott.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
You folks are just ugly

You folks are just being ugly to one another. Let's all calm down.

The bottom line is this. There are many of us who own Marriott that just absolutely love them regardless of what we paid for them. Marriott's timeshare system is the biggest of the nice name-brand resorts and those of us who own feel lucky to be able to work its system to our advantage.

Those who are fortunate to get leftovers that owners put up for exchange, that's great too. You are able to get some extra value every now and again. Consider yourselves fortunate.

When I am at Ko Olina, I am not concerned about who is at the pool or the spa. When I am not there, I don't care who is staying there that is a non Marriott owner. In fact, when I turn over my week to Diamond Resorts International for additional points, I know for a fact a non Marriott owner is going to stay there. I also know that there's a good chance I am not going to have all of the bells and whistles I get when I am at a Marriott. For me, as long as I am taking full advantage of my memberships in timeshare it's a wash and I am happy. For me it's more about the location I am going to, and once I know that I would like the most comfortable accommodations I can find. If I can get a Marriott, that's even better. For the record Marriott has hotels worldwide, so if they don't have a timeshare, I am fine with a hotel. Those rewards points are priceless and don't cost me a dime. I just pay my bills with that credit card every month and I am being located right in the heart of Paris on Champ Elyses (sorry I know it's spelled incorrectly). Worldmark, Hilton, Starwood and DVC can't get you there and certainly not for free. You have to go through Marriott. :D

It is funny. When I stayed in Maui at the Ka'anapali Beach Club in July, the salesperson tried to get me to buy more points. She said how difficult it was to get to come there in July. Heck, I was there once in July, and interestingly since then I look every year at July and there has always been units available. KBC is a very nice resort too.

My point is we can't get too caught up in all of this. It's about vacationing and having fun. We post here to learn from one another and maximize our memberships. Let's do that and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.